Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO

my computer wont let me go to ebay. all other sites it goes

Customer Question

my computer won't let me go to ebay. all other sites it goes to instantly. i tried turning off the family safety filter and it still won't let me. please help
Category: Computer
Expert:  Erik B. replied 4 years ago.

Hi and thanks for choosing Just Answer. My name is Erik and I will be happy to assist you.

Do you just get a Page Cannot Be Displayed message when you go to eBay?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes. and i already tried restarting and that didn't help. in IE I get a message like the Internet is down, but it's not, because it goes to all other pages. In Chrome the address bar says hp.redirect or something like that. HP has been messing with my computer. Everytime we sign on my husband has to pull up task manager and end a process called hpcmpmgr because it says 100% cp usage. I have a compaq but I installed an hp printer a month or two ago and that's when the computer problems got worse.
Expert:  Erik B. replied 4 years ago.

Is the HP printer an all-in-one (with print, scan, fax, etc) or is it just a printer?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

it's a photo printer. hp photosmart 7200 series. not an all in one

Expert:  Erik B. replied 4 years ago.

OK we can disable the hpcmpmgr with no ill effect then. First let's see if we can get eBay working in Clean Boot mode. Please do the following:

• 1. Hold down the Windows key on your keyboard and press the R key to open the Run window.
  • 2. Type msconfig and click OK to open the System Configuration utility.
  • 3. Click the Startup tab.
  • 4. Click the Disable All button.
  • 5. Click OK and then reboot when prompted.
  • 6. When the computer comes back up, see if you can get to eBay.
  • 7. If you still can't get to eBay then repeat steps 1-5, but this time choose the Services tab. Click the box for Hide Microsoft services and then click the Disable All button.
  • 8. Click OK and then reboot. Once again check to see if eBay will connect.

Please let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I tried both ways - startup and services - and it didn't work. same error message - Cannot display webpage
Expert:  Erik B. replied 4 years ago.

OK so we know it isn't software interfering with the eBay website connection. Can you do the following for me?

1. Click Start -> Run.
  2. Type cmd and click OK. This will open the Command Prompt.
  3. Type ping and hit Enter. What do you get back (replies, unknown host, etc)?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

what is start - ) run ??????

Expert:  Erik B. replied 4 years ago.
Are you using Windows XP?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am still waiting for an answer. I am a dissatisfied customer so far. If you need to know info about my computer, then please tell me how to look up this info. Whatever you had me do has done more damage to my computer. Now my computer home page is MSN and my default search engine is BING and I don't want either. Now there are a bunch of sites where I am getitng the same error message that I was getting just for ebay. The problem has gotten worse. I really thought this site could help me and I was willing to try one of the monthly plans but I am dissatisfied. The first several answers I got -- none of them worked or solved the problem. I have been waiting for 24 hours for a reply to my last response. Please respond or I will cancel all future contact and refuse to pay anything and cancel all payments and demand refunds.
Expert:  Erik B. replied 4 years ago.

I apologize I was away from the site over the weekend and am just getting back to it today.

Nothing we have done would have switched your home page to MSN or switched your search engine. All we have done thus far is disable software from starting up as a troubleshooting tool

Since it sounds like the problem is getting progressively worse, the issue is probably related to DNS. Please do the following to change your DNS servers and let me know if it corrects the core issue (pages not displaying). If it does then we can work on getting your home page and search engine back to normal.

1. Hold down the Windows key on your keyboard and press the R key to open the Run window.
  2. In the Run window, type ncpa.cpl and click OK. This will open the Network Connections window.
  3. Right click your Local Area Connection if wired or your Wireless Network Connection if wireless and choose Properties.
  4. Highlight the TCP/IP protocol entry (version 4 if you are using Vista or 7).
  5. Click the Properties button.
  6. Click the Use the following DNS Server addresses choice.
  7. Type for the first server. Type for the second server.
  8. Click OK.
  9. Click Close.
  10. Restart your computer and try the various websites again. Please let me know if performance is better.