Bernie
Bernie, Computer Specialist
Experience:  6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified
46068869

Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device

Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer.
This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external USB drive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as a hard drive or CD-ROM drive that is failing. Make sure any removable storage is properly connected and then restart your computer.
If you continue to receive this error message, contact the hardware manufacturer.
Status: 0xc00000e9
Info: An unexpected I/O error has occurred.

Any ideas please?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Bernie replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thanks for asking your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be your expert today.

Lets try these steps:

(1) Make sure only the keyboard, mouse and monitor are attached (if it is a laptop, as long as nothing is attached which I believe you've already checked). Then, power off and then turn on the computer, and as soon as it starts booting up again, immediately start tapping F8 until you come to the advanced boot menu

(2) From there, select Repair your Computer > Click Next > Select the Repair your Computer button

(3) If it asks, pick your language and keyboard input method > Choose your user account, type your password XXXXX you have one and press ok

(4) If it tries to, let it scan and try to repair your issue automatically > If it asks if you would like to restore to an earlier date, use that > If it brings you to a recovery tools page instead like the one shown below, use system restore to restore the computer to working date.

graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
F8 button not working and continues to go back to same error screen
Expert:  Bernie replied 5 years ago.
What is the exact model of your computer?

Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
lenovo thinkpad E420s
Expert:  Bernie replied 5 years ago.
At this point, this means your hard drive or cdrom drive has failed. Restart and immediately start tapping the F2 key on the keyboard, you should see a BIOS screen come up (although it may take some trial and error, if it doesn't work with F2, try F12, Delete, or Esc, one at a time).

In BIOS, either on the main tab, or inside Advanced BIOS features, you should be able to see if the hard drive is detected and listed there, here are some examples:

graphic

graphic

graphic

If it does detect your hard drive, not just the DVD/CD drive, stop here and let me know.

If it doesn't detect the hard drive, for example, it says none or not detected, try these further steps:

Make sure no cds are loaded. Turn off the computer, and disconnect the battery and AC adapter from it. Wait a few minutes, then press and hold the power button for 60 seconds and release it. Proceed to connect the ac adapter with the battery, and turn the laptop back on.

Re-enter the BIOS, and look for the option at the bottom of the screen to "reset the BIOS to defaults" or "optimal defaults" option.

This option is usually shown along the bottom of the screen where all the navigational directions are listed. Then save and exit. Now see if windows will boot up correctly.

If it still doesn't boot up, you will need to replace either the cd or hard drive. To know which one, please refer back to the BIOS to see which one is not detected. Normally these can both be removed by removing the larger panels on the back of the laptop.

Then you can call 1-800-426-7378 to order a replacement hard drive or cdrom for your model. You will also need the recovery disk that came with the computer, so that you can reinstall Windows on the new hard drive.

If the recovery of data on the current Hard Drive is important to you, what you will need to do is pull out the hard drive and then stick it in a usb hard drive enclosure for the desktop/laptop (you can get these at any nearby computer/electronic store).

You'll want to plug this enclosure into a working computer, and then you will be able to copy over all your files to it. Your user files will be located under C:\Users\[your profile name]\ or C:\Documents and Settings\[your profile name]

Best regards,
Bernie
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
my menu is a little different but i see:

ATA HDD0: Hitachi HTS723232A7A364

I am thinking this is my hard drive being recognized
Expert:  Bernie replied 5 years ago.
Ok good, that is your hard drive and it does appear to be fine.

Do you see your cdrom drive anywhere?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
well, let me clarify, on the "Main Tab" I don't see either the CD ROM or the HDD I referred to. Those were listed in the boot menu along with the LAN. They were also listed under the ThinkPad Setup, startup tan.
Expert:  Bernie replied 5 years ago.
Ok, please look around in the bios, in advanced settings if that shows, or the boot tab, do you see any reference to the Hitachi HTS723232A7A364
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Its listed under "Boot" then "Boot priority" at ATA HDD0 Hitachi HTS723232A7A364
Expert:  Bernie replied 5 years ago.
Ok good, any reference to a DVD/CDrom drive anywhere?

If not sure, please list all the devices you see that are listed in a similar fashion next to ATA HDD0 Hitachi HTS723232A7A364
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ATAPI CD1 MATSHITADVD-RAM UJ8A7AS
Expert:  Bernie replied 5 years ago.
Yep, there it is, lets try this reset:

Start tapping F8 again, and see if you can get to the advanced boot menu.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
cant get F8 to work, keeps going back to Windows Boot Manager. Does it matter if my particular laptop has a nonremoveable battery?
Expert:  Bernie replied 5 years ago.
I see, yes we won't be able to reset it this way. Re-enter the BIOS, and look for the option at the bottom of the screen to "reset the BIOS to defaults" or "optimal defaults" option.

If not, and you have a blank cd, you can try testing the integrity of the hard drive using a special program, using this guide

There is definitely some hardware issue with your hard drive (as it may be failed, but not completely yet since it is still detected), or your cd-rom drive, you may also try reseating both. Normally these can both be removed by removing the larger panels on the back of the laptop with a screwdriver. Take each out, and put it back in. You may need to consult this hardware maintenance manual, click here

If it still doesn't boot up, you will need to proceed to replace the hard drive first. You can call 1-800-426-7378 to order a replacement hard drive. You will also need the recovery disk that came with the computer, so that you can reinstall Windows on the new hard drive.

Best regards,
Bernie
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no hard drive detected by that seagate downloaded program.
Expert:  Bernie replied 5 years ago.
Ok, proceed to take out the hard drive, and then reseat it, run the test one more time, if it detects, run the Long test on it (halfway down the guide on this page)

If it still doesn't detect, then please proceed with getting a new hard drive:

You can call 1-800-426-7378 to order a replacement hard drive. You will also need the recovery disk that came with the computer, so that you can reinstall Windows on the new hard drive.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks, XXXXX XXXXX with Lenovo, new hard drive and boot discs in mail.
Expert:  Bernie replied 5 years ago.
You're very welcome, do post back if you have any further questions on this.

Thank you,
Bernie