Qin Xia
Qin Xia, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer hard ware, software, 6+ years

The sound on my Toshiba laptop is not working. What should

Customer Question

The sound on my Toshiba laptop is not working. What should I check? (Volume on monitor is set on high!)
Category: Computer
Expert:  Qin Xia replied 2 years ago.

Qin Xia :

Hello, Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is Qin. It is my pleasure to work with you to solve your problems.

Qin Xia :

First add this page to your favorites so you will not loose connection with me

Qin Xia :

Let me know if you get this done

JACUSTOMER-kk9zkp9u- :

Added to favorites.

JACUSTOMER-kk9zkp9u- :

I don't see your solution to my problem. Will it show up in the chat above?

JACUSTOMER-kk9zkp9u- :

I received your email, but still don't have the answer to my question. It has the message "loading data, please wait" that has been hanging out there for approx 5 minutes. This is getting frustrating and I'm getting tired. . . . .

JACUSTOMER-kk9zkp9u- :

This is too frustrating. I want my money back!

Qin Xia :

hi

Qin Xia :

please first to restart computer

Qin Xia :

and let me know if the sound is back

Qin Xia :

sorry to reply you late

Qin Xia :

I got a computer problem

Qin Xia :

Restart computer may solve the problem

Qin Xia :

did it work? let me know and I will continue to help

Qin Xia :

again sorry for the late reply

Qin Xia :

if that not working, we just need to reinstall the audio driver next

Qin Xia :

under sound Playback Default Devices, select Realtek

JACUSTOMER-kk9zkp9u- :

I have restarted my computer several times since the sound quit with no results. I am not at all high tech, so don't know where to look for the "sound playback default devices." Please guide me.

Qin Xia :

what is the model number of this toshiba laptop?

JACUSTOMER-kk9zkp9u- :

It is on the docking station. Will I have to take it off to see the model #? Where do I look? I have the user's manual and it says "Toshiba Hi-Speed Port Replicator II User's Manual." Does that help?

Qin Xia :

not that one, turn over the laptop

Qin Xia :

at the bottom, there should be a label

Qin Xia :

e.g. Satellite XXXXXX

JACUSTOMER-kk9zkp9u- :

ok. Give me a minute. . . .

JACUSTOMER-kk9zkp9u- :

All I saw was: "TECRA R850-S8540" and "Serial #6B126123H"

Qin Xia :

ok

Qin Xia :

click link below

Qin Xia :

DANGEROUS URL REMOVED

Qin Xia :

download and install the audio driver

Qin Xia :

click link below

Qin Xia :

choose Windows 7 32 bit as your operating system,

Qin Xia :

In "All Catpgeries" select Sound

Qin Xia :

then download this file

Qin Xia :

After download and install, see if that works

JACUSTOMER-kk9zkp9u- :

Went through the steps but it linked back to "download now." Do I want to click that again?

Qin Xia :

yes

Qin Xia :

it is a big file

Qin Xia :

may take a while to download and install

Qin Xia :

after reinstall the audio driver and see if that works

Qin Xia :

if not, try this

Qin Xia :

turn off laptop, unplug ac adapter and remove battery pack

Qin Xia :

press and hold power button for 30 seconds, then release

Qin Xia :

plug in ac adapter only, turn on the laptop and see if the sound work

JACUSTOMER-kk9zkp9u- :

ok

JACUSTOMER-kk9zkp9u- :

After clicking download again an error message came up. The box was headed: "Archive Extractor." Error in system module [-135]

Qin Xia :

can you try this first

Qin Xia :