tbwhite2040
tbwhite2040, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8 years Computer Support Specialist County School System, 3+ years Networking Specialist
35117564

My HP laptop will not shut down. Showing recovery info at

My HP laptop will not shut down. Showing recovery info at bottom of page. None of the keys (F's) will work/respond.

tbwhite2040 :

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you in finding an answer to your question.

tbwhite2040 :

Press and hold the power button until the laptop shuts off. Once the laptop has shut off then press the power button to turn it back on and 8 key repeatedly until the Advanced Boot Menu comes up. Then using the down arrow highlight the Last Known Good Configuration and press Enter. See if the computer will load normally

Customer:

Tim, I have held the power button down for 1/2 minute or more repeatedly. Will not turn off.

tbwhite2040 :

Do you hear the fan blowing for the CPU?

Customer:

Yes

tbwhite2040 :

OK unplug the power adapter and remove the battery of the laptop. Press and hold the power button for 45 seconds and release it. Plug just the power adapter back in and turn the computer on. Immediately start tapping the F8 key repeatedly to see if you can get the Advanced Boot Menu to come up than choose the Last Known Good Configuration option and press Enter. Let me know if this boots up normally

Customer:

Yahoo. It worked. Thank you Tim.

Customer:

Do I put the battery back in?

tbwhite2040 :

You canbut you need to make sure you change the power options so that when you press the power button it will shut the computer down properly

Customer:

How do I do that? what power options do I change? Or should I just not use the battery?

tbwhite2040 :

I would use the battery because if you do not use it, the battery will build up a memory and will not charge correctly. Click Start--------Control Panel-------Power Options--------Choose the link on the left Choose what the power buttons do------Make sure the one that says When I press the power button is set to Shut Off

Customer:

Thank you Tim. I really appreciate it!