ChrisC
ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a computer technician.

My gateway netbook LT2016U will not start, no post/no video

My gateway netbook LT2016U will not start, no post/no video only the fan runs on sartup and once warm kicks back in. I have tried all of the internet remedies with no results.
Category: Computer
Expert:  ChrisC replied 2 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX X'll be happy to help you today.

I hate to say it, but it sounds like a pretty clear-cut case of a bad motherboard.

However, one thing I'd suggest just to make sure that it's not exclusively a video problem would be to connect an external monitor. If you get an image on the monitor when you boot up but not on the netbook screen then you know you have a problem with the netbook display.

I would also perform the following process which has sometimes been known to resurrect seemingly dead laptops:

1. Unplug the machine and remove the battery.
2. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds.
3. Put the battery back in and plug the machine back in.
4. Attempt to reboot the machine.

However, if the above steps don't lead to a resolution then the motherboard would simply need to be replaced. Since it's a netbook, more than likely you would simply want to put that money into a new machine and then transfer your data from the old hard drive to the new machine.

I wish I had better news for you.

If you have any other questions on this, just let me know. And if you found this helpful, please remember to click the ACCEPT button for me.
ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast
Experience: Over 15 years experience as a computer technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have already tried that as well, hoping there was something beyond my knowledge related to Gateway, like being able to reload the Bios as with Acers' similar model.
Expert:  ChrisC replied 2 years ago.
Okay, you're referring to Crisis Disc for the Acers. Typically with those machines you have to create a "crisis diskette" through the BIOS (or occasionally can download the necessary software via the BIOS manufacturer's website, but not always).

For the Gateway, the only BIOS software that Gateway offers for the LT20 series are updates to the existing BIOS that resolve existing issues, rather than full BIOS software. The other option would be to replace the BIOS chip, but in the case of a netbook that means replacing the whole motherboard.

However, I feel that it's very unlikely that the BIOS is the issue. Typically BIOSes don't simply corrupt for no reason unless there's some sort of hardware issue with the chip (in which case, again, it would simply have to be replaced) and you only run into software problems when you've attempted to update/flash the BIOS and something went wrong in the process.