computerguru86
computerguru86, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  5 year Dell certified technical support

My hotmail e mails are not synced with my iphone. When I delete

My hotmail e mails are not synced with my iphone. When I delete a message on my phone it does not delete it on my computer. How do I get them to sync?
Category: Computer
Expert:  computerguru86 replied 2 years ago.

computerguru86 :

Welcome to Justanswer

computerguru86 :

hello my name is Kayla

computerguru86 :

I will give you the step so that you can properly sync hotmail to your iphone

computerguru86 :

Here are the steps to complete the sync

computerguru86 :

If this is the first e-mail account you'll be setting up on your phone:
Locate the mail icon on your phone's main screen.
On the "Add Account" page, select "Microsoft Exchange"

Although it will not say "hotmail" you can now properly sync your mail, contacts and calendars with your iPhone and use proper folders.
1. After tapping "Microsoft Exchange" enter the credentials below
Email - (Your Email address)
Domain - Leave this blank
Username - (Enter your Email address)
Password XXXXX (Enter your Email address password)
Description - (Optional)
2. Click The Blue "Next" button in the top right
3. The server box will pop up enter "m.hotmail.com"
4. After it has "verified" your account select if you want Calendar and Contact sync on
5. Tap "save" and you are done!
You will have noticed that your hotmail also brings your IMAP folders which didn't work in the old way of syncing hotnail. To see your hotmail contacts on your iphone or all your contacts tap "Groups" in the top left corner of your contacts.
Here is a link with pictures: http://www.groovypost.com/howto/microsoft/sync-iphone-hotmail-emails-contacts-calendars-using-activesync-push/

computerguru86 :

There is a link also that you can go to for pictures to help you with the process

Customer:

I followed the steps and I am now going to test it. Will be right back

computerguru86 :

Alright just let me know

Customer:

It didn't delete the email

computerguru86 :

This is a known problem with hotmail and the iphone

Customer:

I use to have it sync what can I do?

computerguru86 :

You need to restart the iphone

computerguru86 :

you will want to sign out of hotmail as well

computerguru86 :

Then see if this makes a difference

Customer:

OK

computerguru86 :

I will be right here just let me know when you are done

Customer:

great

Customer:

still not working. can I use another e mail account so that I can forward the hotmail messages to?

computerguru86 :

yeah you can have many email accounts on the iphone

computerguru86 :

All the others have no problems they work perfect it is only hotmail that has troubles

computerguru86 :

it is because of the servers they use

Customer:

so if I use hotmail and other people e mail with my hotmail.com address how do I do it?

computerguru86 :

Are you wanting to import your infomartion from hotmail to another email address right

Customer:

no I just want to delete messages on my iphone and know that they will be deleted automatically on my computer

computerguru86 :

Yeah i understand that but the iphone has a lot of problems with this and it doesnt also work

Customer:

yes I guess I want the information to go to another account automatically

computerguru86 :

Alright do you know what email account your would want to go to

computerguru86 :

i mean yahoo, gmail etc

computerguru86 :

they have different instructions for each one

computerguru86 :

gmail is the best for the iphone

Customer:

II have a mobilme acct

Customer:

I can also set up a g mail acct

computerguru86 :

I would recommend that

computerguru86 :

I would first sign up for an account and I will post the instruction on how to forward your information from hotmail to gmail

computerguru86 :

once you have the gmail account then follow the steps i provide

Customer:

that would be good, When I set up a g mail acct do I just choose an address?

computerguru86 :

yes you can choose whatever you want

computerguru86 :

I dont need to know it either that is your personal information

Customer:

ok

computerguru86 :

Go to the Accounts tab from Gmail's settings page and click on "Add a mail account you own". Type the Hotmail address and use the following settings:

Username: the complete email address
Password: your Hotmail password
POP Server: pop3.live.com
Port: 995
Enable all the four subsequent options (the only option that's required is "Always use a secure connection (SSL) when retrieving mail").

Customer:

ok

computerguru86 :

Since the mail fetcher emulates a standard mail client that supports POP, it will check for new messages periodically. You also have the option to add the Hotmail address as a custom "From" address so you no longer have to compose messages in Hotmail

Customer:

I will try to do this now. Will you still wait?

computerguru86 :

Yes i will be here

computerguru86 :

i am going to switch to question and answer so it doesnt time out okay

computerguru86 :

just go to your justanswer account to my questions and reply and i will see your message

computerguru86 :

I will help until this issue is resolved

Customer:

am i to do this on my computer/ I don't know where the accounts tab is on my phone

computerguru86 :

no do this on your computer

Experience: 5 year Dell certified technical support