Jess
Jess, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer

My Google Chrome has crashed and wont relaunch. Please he

Customer Question

My Google Chrome has crashed and won't relaunch. Please help!
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jess replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for using JustAnswer.com. I am glad to assist you today.

What is your Operating System, Windows XP/Vista/7?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Vista
Expert:  Jess replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for that information.

So now, when you double click on the Chrome icon, will it open then close? Or it won't open at all?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It opens briefly, then closes and I get error messages that say it has stopped working, and then it has crashed.
Expert:  Jess replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for that information. Do you have a lot of saved bookmarks and form data like password XXXXX your Chrome? Please let me know since as we troubleshoot, these saved data in Chrome may be affected.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No. I just downloaded Chrome within the past week so that I could watch a training video.
Expert:  Jess replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for that information.

Please do the following procedures in the order they are presented.

A. Uninstall Chrome

1. Go to Start => Control Panel
  2. Click Programs and Features
  3. Locate Chrome there in the list of installed programs. When found, click on it to select, then uninstall it
  4. After the removal, please restart the computer
  5. After restarting, please proceed to the next steps that follow

B. Cleanup with CCleaner

NOTE: If you are using a program named Roboform, please do not proceed with CCleaner cleanup. Roboform Data will be removed by CCleaner.

Please download the FREE version of CCleaner from this link:

Download FREE CCleaner Here or this link http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard

After you download the free tool, install it and run the scans and tests. By default, it runs CLEANER to cleanup from all system mess which includes all unwanted files, temporary files, temporary internet files, orphaned files and more. Make sure that all this mess that the Cleaner program has detected is removed. This will free up some space in your hard drive while speeding up your system as well.

Next, run REGISTRY Cleaner and fix the found problems. Run this REGISTRY cleaner several times and fix the issues until no issues will be found.

In order to run the Registry cleanup mode, open CCleaner, then look at the left panel of the CCleaner window. Locate and click the Registry link there and that should give you the Registry cleanup mode. Then click on the Scan for issues button. When the scan reached 100%, click FIX issues to remove the errors from your system. Then click the Scan for issues again then FIX whenever issues are still found. When no issues are found, close CCleaner.

After the CCleaner cleanup, please proceed to the Malwarebytes cleanup that follows.

C. Cleanup with Malwarebytes Antimalware

Please download the FREE version of Malwarebyte from this link:

Download FREE Malwarebytes Antimalware Here

If the above link doesn't work, you can download it from the official site. Here is the link:
http://malwarebytes.org

Just click the DOWNLOAD NOW button there and you will be redirected to the download page. There you can finally download the installation file for Malwarebytes Antimalware.

After you download it, please install. During the FIRST RUN, when you are prompted for a TRIAL, you can just DECLINE. Then let it UPDATE.

After the updates are installed, please perform a QUICK SCAN. Then REMOVE all malicious files found and restart your computer as part of the removal process.

After the cleanup and the final restart, please RE-INSTALL Chrome.

D. RE-INSTALL Chrome

After the thorough cleanup and optimization of your system, please download and install Chrome then see if it works this time. Here is the download link to get a new installation file:

http://www.google.com/chrome

I hope you find my answer helpful. If you do, please Accept. Keep me posted with your results so that I can help you further. Please do not leave a negative feedback. We can continue further until your issue is resolved.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Jess, I do have roboform installed, but I rarely use it. Do I uninstall it to proceed with this step or what do I do?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Jess was terrific, but he's busy now, and I'd like to get a quick answer to my question. Thanks, Jess!
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.

was what Jess instructed, so I advise you to skip step 2. Malwarebytes is reliable at system assessment and cleanup, and should be sufficient by itself. If I'm wrong about this interpretation of Jess's instructions, then Jess will be online by and by to issue correct instructions.

So, just remove Chrome, then use Malwarebytes, then restart your computer, then reinstall Chrome from scratch.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dear Jess,

I'm afraid I cannot access your answer. My computer says, "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Set Association control panel. I can't see how to do this in the Control panel. Please help! Midge
Expert:  Jess replied 2 years ago.
Thank you writing back.

If you don't normally use your Roboform program, then I believe that you can continue with the CCleaner cleanup procedures then the Malwarebuytes cleanup procedures as well.

Also, please redo the cleanup process starting with downloading the tools. The previous download could have been corrupted causing it to give an error message when trying to run or open it.

Here are the steps:

CCleaner Cleanup:

After that cleanup procedures, please proceed to Malwarebytes cleanup that I already gave you.

Then re-install your Google Chrome.

If you have any other concerns in the procedures, please let me know.

Best regards,
Jess