B. Rath
B. Rath, IT Professional
Experience:  Certified support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.
12615041

I have accidentally deleted "Windows Installer" file on my

I have accidentally deleted "Windows Installer" file on my Windows 7 OS. What can I do to get it back.
Category: Computer
Expert:  B. Rath replied 3 years ago.
Hi, and thanks for using JustAnswer.

Add this page to your Favorites/Bookmarks first, so as to get back to me anytime later on, if needed.

Do you get any error related to Windows Installer? When did this start?

Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry for my delay. I was getting attempts by what turned out to be Windows Installer which kept trying to install itself. It would break in and load up to a certain point then stop. Not appreciating what was going on, I deleted the programme. My PC will not now download any programme and I get a error message 0xC0070643.
Expert:  B. Rath replied 3 years ago.
Okay; and when (timewise) did this issue start occurring?

Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It had started without any apparent cause, and continued until the "break-ins" got to be a real nuisance. I deleted the programme about 4 weeks ago.
Expert:  B. Rath replied 3 years ago.
Okay; let's do a system restore first.

First off, please go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore, check "Show more restore points", then restore your system back to a date and time PRIOR to when you deleted it (if no restore points available that far back, let me know).

Restart normally thereafter, and check if this rolls back the issue you are having.

Thanks; keep me posted.

Regards
B. Rath, IT Professional
Experience: Certified support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have followed your advice and arrive at the restore instruction but I'm not being offered far enough back. I can't recall the precise date for the restoration but I know it isn't far enough back in time.
Expert:  B. Rath replied 3 years ago.
I see; no problem. Now, let's try running the System File Checker tool, which will scan all the system files for Windows and replace any corrupted, missing, or incorrect files with the original, correct versions.

To run System File Checker in Windows, please click on Start and type in CMD in the search box, then right-click on the cmd result that comes up above, and select 'Run as administrator'.

Now type in the following command at the prompt:

sfc /scannow

Once the scanning process has been completed, restart and check if this makes any difference to your issue with the Windows Installer.

Keep me posted.

Regards

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have run sfc/scannow. The process indicated that it hadn't found any corrupted files. As advised I restarted the PC. I have tried to install two programmes that both indicated that there was a problem with Windows Installer. Both have not completed their installation due to installer problems.

Would a virus cause this sort of problem?

Expert:  B. Rath replied 3 years ago.
Did you receive the same error code, i.e. 0xC0070643, this time?

Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, this time it's 0xC00706B7
Expert:  B. Rath replied 3 years ago.
Okay. Please carry out the following steps:

Go to Start, type in regedit in the search field, and press ENTER.

Next, in the Registry Editor, go to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
SYSTEM
CurrentControlSet
Services
MSIServer

To the right you’ll see WOW64. Double click on it, or right click on it and click on Modify.
Change the setting from 1 to 0.

Next, go to Start again and type in the search box: services.msc

Look for and find the Windows Installer service.

Double click on it and stop the service, then start it.

Keep me posted.

Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm getting into Registry Editor but searching against HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE isn't putting up anything to find. If it helps my PC ia a Vaio 1.7 with a solid state h/drive and OS is 7 Home Premium.
Expert:  B. Rath replied 3 years ago.
You have to double-click on the keys one after the other until you get to the path I specified. Keep me posted.

Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I got into msiserver but can't find a line containing "wow64". There are a three entries that have nominal values of (1).

Sorry, but daredn't start crashing about at this point!

Expert:  B. Rath replied 3 years ago.
Okay; could you specify what are those three entries, please?

Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Service sydword regdword

erroe control re dword

Expert:  B. Rath replied 3 years ago.
Hmm. Now, go to Start and type in the search box: services.msc

Keep me posted.

Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Another day,.......
Right. Have found Windows Installer Service and set it to automatic )it had been set at "Disable".
I'll be back - well, someone might say that one day, if their not too busy being Governor or whatever!
Expert:  B. Rath replied 3 years ago.
All right; keep me posted.

Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We're making progress. I now remember why I deleted Windows Installer (I think it worked on my memory, too!).

One update went in without any problem. On attempting to install AVG2012, one of the programmes that threw up the error message, this reverted to the initial problem that I had been trying to sort out i.e. the "break-in" advice of the PC trying to download Windows Media Gallery. This initialises progresses and then starts again. I keep having to stop it again and again.

However, on trying to install AVG2012, this time, it advised that it couldn't install it as "another programme is being downloaded" this was what led me to delete Windows Installer!

I have to congratulate you on getting me back to the original problem which I hope we can now solve!

Expert:  B. Rath replied 3 years ago.
I see now. Are you getting any error now regarding Windows Installer, though?

Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
None at all. We have got WI back, and the PC is as was before I started to tamper with it. The original problem (which I compounded by deleting WI) came from nowhere about a month before I got cross with it and resorted to the delete button.
Expert:  B. Rath replied 3 years ago.
Hmm, I'm not sure about what you are referring to here - are you having an issue with installing any program now?

Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, the AVG brought up the repeat earlier problem (I do appreciate this is a new problem, and I am happy to treat it as a "new" issue for charging arrangements) where the PC wouldn't allow programmes to be loaded by advising that"another programme is being downloaded. I had imagined that it was the Windows Media Gallery that for some reason was trying to load, or find itself on the net. Hence my foolish removal of the WI.
Expert:  B. Rath replied 3 years ago.
I see, and I assume that it's happening now as well. For this issue, I would advise you to go to www.justanswer.com, then post this as a new question so that I, or the other experts, can help you further with the same. Thanks!

Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Will do.

Many thanks for your help.

What do i need to do about your charges for help todate (which must have been rather more far-reaching than it may have seemed)?

Best wishes,

Tom.

Expert:  B. Rath replied 3 years ago.
No problem; since you already accepted an answer earlier, you are all set now. Thank you.

Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Cheers!

AVG2012 installed faultlessly.

I think you've cured the problem.

Many thanks, again.

Expert:  B. Rath replied 3 years ago.
Great; thanks!

Regards