John, Computer Specialist
Experience:  MCP, RHCE

My Lenovo laptop appears to have crashed. When I attempt to

My Lenovo laptop appears to have crashed. When I attempt to boot up, it fails at startup. I can get to the F8 menus, but it attempts to do startup repair and then fails again. I've also tried doing a system restore, but it doesn't fix the problem. I did a windows memory diagnostic and it indicated that there may be a hardware problem. Is there a potential fix without doing some hardware replacement? If I do that, will I lose all my files? Thanks
Category: Computer
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.

cyball83 :

Hello and Welcome to Just answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX will be assisting you today.

Customer:

Thanks, John

cyball83 :

You are welcome sir,can you boot to safe mode?

Customer:

yes, with networking or not?

cyball83 :

just safe mode

Customer:

done

cyball83 :

do you have an external hard drive

Customer:

No. It says loading windows files....loaded \windows\system32\config\system please wait...

Customer:

windows is loading files....then it goes back to startup repair

Customer:

well, i do have an external drive, but it's not connected...I tried connecting it thinking i could do a system restore, but it wouldn't recognize the external hard drive.

Customer:

and it wasn't connected when the crash occurred.

cyball83 :

You cannot do a system restore from external hard drive. have you tried last know good configuration option from advance boot menu

Customer:

yes. it didn't work.

Customer:

except for the menu options when you start and hit F8, the only other workable menu I've seen so far is the command prompt.

cyball83 :

did the windows restore complete successfully.did you do it from safe mode with command prompt

Customer:

no, the system restore didn't work. I did it from the system recovery options menu. I don't know if I can try it from the safe mode with command prompt, but let me try.

cyball83 :

OK please do that from safe mode with command prompt

Customer:

I'm at the command prompt, what do I type in to get the restore from the x:\windows\system32 prompt?

cyball83 :

first type c:\ and press enter

Customer:

ok, i'm at the c:\> prompt

cyball83 :

one type rstrui.exe and press enter

Customer:

i'm at the restore point. there are several dates and times for the restore point.

cyball83 :

when did this problem started

Customer:

several since the 17th of November that say Critical Update, then some from august and before that say. System Image Restore Point and are Backup types.

Customer:

2-3 days ago, on the 21st or 22nd

Customer:

the first time, i rebooted, went thru the startup repair and it corrected the problem, but since then, I can't get past the startup repair/system restore points.

cyball83 :

which is the restore date you tried to restore before?

Customer:

11/17/2011 (there are subsequent points, all of which are Windows Updates and are described as Critical Updates under "type")

Customer:

the most recent dates are Nov 23, 22, 21, 19, 18 and 17, then it goest to August

cyball83 :

which is the available restore date before 11/17/2010

Customer:

August 11, 2011

Customer:

that's also the first one that says, "system image restore point" and is a "backup" type

Customer:

that's the most recent one before 11/17/2011

Customer:

then it goes to 4/22/2011

cyball83 :

select 11/17/2011 and continue

Customer:

ok....

Customer:

initializing....

Customer:

restoring files....

cyball83 :

ok

Customer:

finishing restore....

cyball83 :

ok

Customer:

ready to restart.

cyball83 :

ok please do

Customer:

starting windows

cyball83 :

ok

Customer:

it seems to have worked! I tried this once before but not from the c: prompt. I'm back!

Customer:

thanks

Customer:

any idea what caused the problem? Do I need to do anything different from here on out?

cyball83 :

one moment please

cyball83 :

i cannot guarantee this window will stay so please connect the hard drive and back up the data you need

Customer:

ok, one moment, please

cyball83 :

Sure.in case it goes out again you wont loose any files

cyball83 :

also please specify the full model of the laptop

Customer:

Lenovo G560

cyball83 :

it doesn't seem have a hardware issue.

Customer:

that's great news.

Customer:

I've got a seagate external hard drive, which is now connected, but it doesn't seem to be backing up the files. let me check to be sure I've got it set correctly.

Customer:

the laptop is recognizing the seagate

cyball83 :

OK.do you know how to restore to factory settings?

Customer:

no

Customer:

the hard drive, you mean?

Customer:

not the laptop

cyball83 :

i mean restoring the laptop to factory settings.

Customer:

oh wait...it is backing up the files.

cyball83 :

good

Customer:

sorry, no, i don't know how to restore the laptop to factory settings.

Customer:

but if it's backing up the files on the hard drive, I don't need to restore the laptop to factory settings, correct?

Customer:

22% complete

cyball83 :

if this problem happens restore the laptop to factory settings.this process will erase the files on the hard drive and then reinstall windows 7 and the applications that came with the laptop

Customer:

how would I do that---from the c:\prompt again?

cyball83 :

no i will give you the steps before that do you have recovery disc's with you

Customer:

I have them, but I don't have them handy.

Customer:

they're in a closet somewhere.

cyball83 :

did you create that disc using the lenovo recovery software or did you got it when you purchased the laptop

Customer:

i got it when i purchased the laptop. I didn't have to create it.

cyball83 :

how many disc's are there ?

Customer:

3, i think

Customer:

maybe just 2

Customer:

i can't remember

cyball83 :

ok i will give you the steps to how to restore the laptop to factory settings.

Customer:

great

Customer:

will i be able to save this chat, or do i need to take notes?

cyball83 :

Please bookmark/add to favourites this page, use that bookmark or favourite’s .you can also get back to the chat using the email send by just answer to your email address regarding this question. There is view answer button in the email click on that and you can open this page.

Customer:

great

cyball83 :

did the back up completed

Customer:

58% complete

cyball83 :

ok

cyball83 :

can you find a button like this on the laptop

Full Size Image

Customer:

yes

cyball83 :

ok

Customer:

the backup didn't complete successfully. I got a dialogue box that asks if I want to format the hard drive.

Customer:

i also got an option to try the backup again.

Customer:

which I'm doing now

cyball83 :

OK what is the space available on external hard drive

Customer:

389.34GB

cyball83 :

ok

Customer:

of 465.64gb

cyball83 :

what is the space available on C drive

Customer:

221gb free of 254 gb on the local disk (c:) and 27.8 gb free of 28.9gb on the lenovo disk (d:)

Customer:

the backup process is back to the 57% mark...preparing to backup

Customer:

creating a system image of c:

cyball83 :

see if shows the error again and see which drive is it asking to format

Customer:

which drive on the external hard drive?

Customer:

it's 59% complete...says it's creating a system image of c:

cyball83 :

ok

cyball83 :

when did it show the error before

Customer:

at about 57%...i'm at 60^ now

Customer:

60

Customer:

60%

Customer:

last time i backed it up a minute ago, it stalled out at about 57% and then the green progress line turned to 100% and turned red.

Customer:

that's when I got the error message that the backup hadn't worked.

Customer:

i'm at 61% now

cyball83 :

ok

Customer:

62%

cyball83 :

ok

cyball83 :

i thinks its copying the entire C drive

cyball83 :

that is why its taking so much time

Customer:

looks like it. it says, "creating a system image of (c:)"

Customer:

63

cyball83 :

ok.usually you don't need to do that all you have to do is to back up the files you needed

Customer:

that's good to know for future reference. should I stop the backup, or just let it continue?

cyball83 :

just let it continue.if it fails just back up the files you need

Customer:

or if you think i'm good to go, I can let you help someone else.

Customer:

64% now.

cyball83 :

i am preparing the notes for restore to factory settings.one moment please

Customer:

great, thanks

Customer:

65

cyball83 :

ok

cyball83 :

Recovery from recovery hard drive partition

1.Shut down the laptop
2.Press the once key rescue button

Full Size Image
that will open the recovery wizard now select the option to restore the computer to factory settings/out of box condition
3.Follow the instructions to complete the process

The entire process will take up to 1hr or more so make sure the laptop is connected to the power outlet also do not interrupt the process.during the process the
system may restart couple of times too

Recovery from recovery disc's

1.Insert the first recovery disc
2.Restart the laptop then press F12 that will open the boot device list select CD/DVD drive and press enter that will start from the recovery disc
(If you get the message to press a key to continue press any key on the keyboard )
4.That will open the recovery wizard from that select he option to restore the computer to factory settings/out of box condition
5.Follow the instructions to complete the process

system may restart couple of times too

cyball83 :

Read the above steps and let me know

Customer:

sounds clear. thank you

cyball83 :

how far is the back up now

Customer:

71%

cyball83 :

make sure you copied the required files before you do the restore process.becuase this process will erase the data on the laptop and then only it reinstall windows 7 and the applications that came with the laptop

Customer:

the recovery steps you outlined above, not the backup, right?

cyball83 :

I mean the restore process is the one that erase the data on the laptop and then only it reinstall windows 7 and the applications that came with the laptop

Customer:

right, thanks.

Customer:

it looks like this is going to work...73% now

cyball83 :

you are welcome,Is there anything else you like to know

Customer:

no, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX terrific

cyball83 :

Everything seems to be working fine so please don’t forget to click ACCEPT button in this chat page & leave a POSITIVE Feedback and some Bonus will be well appreciated. That’s the only way i get paid for the services that I have provided to you

Customer:

I sure will. Great service!

Customer:

do i click accept now?

cyball83 :

do i need to wait until you finish the back up

Customer:

no, i think we're good

Customer:

74% now

cyball83 :

OK then

Yes please click on Accept

Have a Great God Blessed Day

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX!

John, Computer Specialist
Experience: MCP, RHCE