Ryan B.
Ryan B., Support Specialist
Experience:  Comptia A+ Certified Technician , with 8+ years Experience
16548393

I am a current Pinnacle Studio 14 Owner. My user name isXXX@XXXXXX.XXX.

Customer Question

I am a current Pinnacle Studio 14 Owner. My user name isXXX@XXXXXX.XXX. My password XXXXX XXXXX My Customer Care ID is XXXXXX. Today I used my Dazzle Video Creator Plus HD to capture video from a VHS Cassette and now my Studio 14 program is locked up. When I open it, it partially loads and then begins blinking on and off but never actually completely opens. I now cannot use the program to edit the video or even transfer to another of my saved videos. How do I get this problem resolved?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Ryan B. replied 3 years ago.

Ryan B. :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer~! My name is Ryan and I would like to assist you with your question.

Refer to the instructions below, you can also click the link below for steps to resolve the issue:

http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=288303

Troubleshooting steps for Studio hangs or crashing while launching (starting)

1. Restart the computer. Try restarting the computer

2. Wait a few minutes: If Studio still won't launch, wait a few minutes to let it finish launching. We have noticed on some computers that it may take a little while for Studio to completely launch. The time it takes to open is system specification dependent.

3. Latest version of Studio. There is no update for Studio 14 at this time.

4. Safe mode: Try launching Studio in Safe mode. In Safe mode, many device drivers and applications do not load. If Studio will launch in safe mode, then the issue is most likely a configuration problem with your computer. NOTE: We do not recommend using Studio in Safe Mode. This step is for testing purposes only. To start in Safe mode:

• Shut down the computer
  • When you turn it back on, tap the F8 key every couple seconds until a menu pops up. (If the XP splash screen appears, the F8 keys was pressed too late so restart the computer and try this step again)
  • On the menu, choose Safe Mode, and then press the Enter key
  • Launch Studio

If you need help starting in Safe mode, you can click here to get information on Microsoft's web site

If Studio won't launch in Safe mode, then Studio many not be installed properly or the install may be corrupt. We recommend uninstalling and reinstalling Studio. Click here for more info on how to uninstall and reinstall Studio 14

If Studio launches in Safe mode, then the issue most likely is due to device drivers and application conflicts. Continue with the troubleshooting steps below.

5. Disconnect all Capture hardware (if possible or practical)

5.1. Pinnacle external hardware: If your capture device is a Pinnacle external device (i.e., DVC 90, DVC 100, DVC 170, 500/510 USB, 700/710 USB) then:

• Unplug the capture device from the computer
  • Launch Studio again
  • If it still will not launch then go to step 2 above and make sure Studio is jut not opening slowly.
  • If it does launch, then reconnect the capture device and wait until the computer loads the driver, and then click on the capture tab
  • If this works, the go to Setup - capture source and select the correct capture device.
  • If this does not work go to step 5.2.

5.2. Webcams: If you have a webcam, try the following:

• Launch Studio with the webcam unplugged

If this steps works, then the webcam will have to be removed any time that Studio will be able to be launched.

6. Download and reinstall the driver for the graphics card. During the Studio software launch process we do check that you have a DirectX compatible graphics card. Download and reinstall the latest version of the driver for the graphics card that is on your system. Many customers have nVIDIA or ATI graphics cards and the latest driver can be found at:

nVIDIA is at: http://www.nvidia.com

ATI is at: http://www.ati.com

If you need assistance with this step, please contact the support department for the graphics card company.

7. Download and reinstall the driver for the sound card. During the Studio software launch process we do check that you have a sound card and video card that support DirectX. Download and reinstall the latest version of the driver for the sound card that is on your system. If you need assistance with this step, please contact the support department for the sound card company.

8. Remove the sound card from the system. Some older sound cards may not work well with newer versions of Windows. This can be verified by shutting down the computer, removing the sound card and restarting. Obviously this is not practical if the sound device is on the motherboard, as in laptop computers. If Studio now launches, more than likely you need to replace the sound card (if you already updated to the latest drivers in step 3).

9. End background tasks: There are a couple ways to accomplish this. One is to use a Startup Manager. There are many shareware and free ware programs that assist a user in eliminating programs that launch on Startup. Use an Internet search engine such as Google, yahoo, etc to search for "startup managers". We don't recommend/endorse a particular one, but we do suggest you try a couple to see which one works for you and is easy to use.

You can also use the Microsoft System Configuration Utility (MSCONFIG), which is part of Windows, to disable programs that launch at startup of Windows. We recommend disabling all programs and then re-enabling them one at a time until the conflicting program is located.

Click here to view our FAQ that details how to use MSCONFIG

10. M-Audio Producer USB microphone is connected: In some cases, Studio 14 may crash during start up if an M-Audio Producer USB headphone is connected to the system. Please see this FAQ: Studio 14 crashes on launch if M-Audio Producer USB microphone is connected.