Erik B.
Erik B., Computer Support
Experience:  MCSE, MCP
18224842

Java is installed on my computer but I cannot get it to work

Java is installed on my computer but I cannot get it to work when I try to print out a coupon. When I hit the print button it says under system details "java/JRE version and
under current version it says "not detected" I have tried and tried to get it to work but no luck. I am happy to hear from you as I have been thinking all day I need to go to my exper at Just Answer.
I will give you the info on what I have done, which is what they told me to do:
1. Browser to tools to internet options
2. Advanced tab - They say click on Java but I do not have a Java listed. The list includes only the following tabs: accelerated graphics, accessibility, browsing, HTTP 1.1 settings, International, multimedia and security. There is no Java tabl
I am usiing the Smart Source coupon printing system but cannot get it to work as they
cannot detect Java.
Help!!!! I need to save $.55 on eggs. Might ruin my Thanksgiving!
jo ann bullard [email protected]

Hi Jo Ann and thanks for choosing Just Answer again. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you.

Can you do the following for me?

1. Click Start -> Control Panel.
  2. In the Control Panel, look for the link on the left that says Classic View. Please click that link.
  3. Do you see a Java icon in the control panel at this point?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes there is a Java tab listed in that long list

OK then you do indeed have Java installed. In that case, let's uninstall your existing Java installation and then install the latest version fresh to see if that corrects the issue. Here's how:

1. In the Control Panel, click the Programs and Features icon.
  2. Look for the Java entries (there may be several depending on how many times it has been updated). Highlight each one and click Uninstall.
  3. Once all Java entries have been removed, please go to www.java.com to download the latest and greatest. Just click the link and then click the Free Java Download button. Then on the next page click Agree and Start Free Download.
  4. Go through the installation wizard and when it completes try to use the coupon printing system again.

Let me know if that doesn't work or if you have any errors along the way. Thank you!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I did exactly as you told me to do following all steps and it said "Java has been successfully installed and verified the Java 6 version as being installed. Then when I tried to print the coupon again I got the same message, "java not detected."

OK and are you using Internet Explorer or Firefox as your browser?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
internet explorer

OK let's check to make sure the Java add-on is actually enabled in IE. Please do the following:

1. In Internet Explorer, click on Tools -> Internet Options.
  2. Click the Programs tab.
  3. Choose All Add-ons from the drop down.
  4. Look for anything that says Java or Sun Microsystems. When found, see if they are enabled or disabled.

Let me know what you find. Thanks!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I went to add - ons and it only says "select an add on to modify status or view details" but there is no list of add ons to select. It only displays the message above.

Are you by any chance running Internet Explorer in No add-ons mode? If you are not sure, please click Start -> All Programs -> Internet Explorer to make sure you are opening IE in the correct mode, then try the coupon printing again. That may be our problem. Keep me posted!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

when i go to manage add ons there is no tab for "show" or anything about enable or

disable It simply says the above and then "learn more about extensions." I cannot find out what add ons are enabled or disabled.

Did you follow my instructions to open Internet Explorer (click Start -> All Programs -> Internet Explorer) and then try a coupon print again?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes, exactly as you said and again it says Java not detected.

Very strange. It is like add-ons are not being registered properly. What happens if you click on this link:

http://java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp

Does it say Java was detected?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am not having any luck at all and keep trying over and over to do it but it still will not

work. I cannot get it to tell me if it is detected but I see it on some of the lists.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am ready to give up. SEveral hours and nothing has changed. What do you suggest now?

Let's try to reset Internet Explorer and see if that makes a difference. Please do the following:

• 1. Open Internet Explorer.
  • 2. Click on Tools -> Internet Options. NOTE: if you don't see the word Tools, please press the ALT key on your keyboard to make it appear.
  • 3. Click the Delete button on the resulting page.
  • 4. Check the boxes for Temporary Internet Files and Cookies. All other boxes should be cleared.
  • 5. Click Delete again.
  • 6. Wait for the deletion process to finish.
  • 7. Click the Advanced tab in the Internet Options screen.
  • 8. Click the RESET button.
  • 9. Click RESET again on the confirmation screen.
  • 10. Restart Internet Explorer and see if you can print some coupons.

Good luck!