Jess
Jess, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer

Issue: My computer is very slow in booting up. The Dell screen

Customer Question

Issue: My computer is very slow in booting up. The Dell screen appears and freezes up. I turn off the computer, restart it and the Dell screen appears, Windows starts to launch and freezes up while it's running the ckdsk utililty. I turn it off and on again and the Dell screen appears and may or may not freeze up. Eventually I get Windows up and running.

How do I fix this?

Stephanie Buttrey
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jess replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for using JustAnswer.com. I am glad to assist you today.

Since your computer boots and automatically runs checkdisk, then there could be problem with the physical hard disk drive.

Please do the following:

A. Boot your computer in Safe Mode

1. Turn ON your computer
  2. Immediately tap the F8 key and keep tapping it until you see the Advanced Boot Menu options
  3. Navigate using the arrow keys and choose Safe Mode
  4. Press ENTER to choose Safe Mode
  5. Press ENTER again to confirm

When you are in Safe Mode, please disable the startup items and services to boost your boot speed. To disable some programs at startup, please do the following:

1. Click on Start => RUN
  2. In the RUN box, type this command and click OK: msconfig
  3. You shall see then the System Configuration dialog window
  4. Click on the SERVICES tab
  5. Click to select the option "Hide Microsoft services"
  6. Then click DISABLE ALL button
  7. Then click the STARTUP tab
  8. Then click on DISABLE ALL button
  9. This should disable all listed startup programs at startup so all the checks there should disappear. However, please locate your Antivirus software there and click on it to restore the check mark.
  10. Then click APPLY
  11. Click OK to close the System Configuration window
  12. Restart your computer.
  13. When you are prompted with a pop up window regarding the changes you made with the System Configuration Utility, please cancel it or close it.
  14. Then test if the system is now gaining some speed

After the steps above, please try to boot the computer normally. If in any chance you are able to boot normally, please do the Check Disk and Disk Defrag procedures:

B. Run Disk Defragmenter

1. Open Computer from the Desktop icon. Or click Start => Computer
2. Locate Drive C
3. Right click on drive C
4. Click Properties
5. Click on the Tools tab
6. Then in Defragmentation group, click Defragment Now
7. Then allow some time to analyze and defragment your system. This may take some time.

C. Run Check Disk with Repair Options

2. Locate Drive C
3. Right click on drive C
4. Click Properties
5. Click on the Tools tab
6. Then in Error Checking group, click CHECK NOW
7. Then check the 2 options that pops up
8. Click YES to schedule the scan and repair on the next boot
9. Then restart your computer and see if the CHECK DISK starts

After the disk checkup methods above, please do the following cleanup procedures to ensure that your system is safe, clean and optimized:

A. Cleanup with CCleaner

NOTE: If you are using a program named Roboform, please do not proceed with CCleaner cleanup. Roboform Data will be removed by CCleaner.

Please download the FREE version of CCleaner from this link:

Download FREE CCleaner Here or this link http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard

After you download the free tool, install it and run the scans and tests. By default, it runs CLEANER to cleanup from all system mess which includes all unwanted files, temporary files, temporary internet files, orphaned files and more. Make sure that all this mess that the Cleaner program has detected is removed. This will free up some space in your hard drive while speeding up your system as well.

Next, run REGISTRY Cleaner and fix the found problems. Run this REGISTRY cleaner several times and fix the issues until no issues will be found.

In order to run the Registry cleanup mode, open CCleaner, then look at the left panel of the CCleaner window. Locate and click the Registry link there and that should give you the Registry cleanup mode. Then click on the Scan for issues button. When the scan reached 100%, click FIX issues to remove the errors from your system. Then click the Scan for issues again then FIX whenever issues are still found. When no issues are found, close CCleaner.

B. Cleanup with Malwarebytes Antimalware

Please download the FREE version of Malwarebyte from this link:

Download FREE Malwarebytes Antimalware Here

If the above link doesn't work, you can download it from the official site. Here is the link:
http://malwarebytes.org

Just click the DOWNLOAD NOW button there and you will be redirected to the download page. There you can finally download the installation file for Malwarebytes Antimalware.

After you download it, please install. During the FIRST RUN, when you are prompted for a TRIAL, you can just DECLINE. Then let it UPDATE.

After the updates are installed, please perform a QUICK SCAN. Then REMOVE all malicious files found and restart your computer as part of the removal process.

After the cleanup procedures and the final restart, please check your computer if it is running faster and is not freezing.

I hope you find this answer helpful. If you do, please Accept. Post a reply at any time should you need further assistance with this question.

Best regards,
Jess
Jess, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Computer performance is much improved, thanks.

Another question: How do I stop Sonic Activation Module from starting up every time I boot? I go to Windows Task Manager and stop the task but I'm sure you know a better way.

And I hope you can answer this too: I installed Norton Internet Security but has to uninstall System Mechanic. Are they really mutually exclusive? Are the SM features available on Norton?

Thanks,

Stephanie

Expert:  Jess replied 2 years ago.
Hi Stephanie, thank you for writing back.

Regarding the Sonic Activation Module you can try to disable it using CCleaner, the tool that you used for cleanup.

1. Open CCleaner by double clicking on the icon on the Desktop
  2. Click on Tools button on the left panel
  3. In the center/middle panel, click the "Startup" link
  4. Locate the item listed there that appears to be the Sonic Module. In this case, it could be the same process that you close in your Task Manager
  5. When you are not sure of it, just disable those that are listed (DO NOT DELETE THEM) and then test if the problem is gone. If not, then the Sonic Module could not be listed there as a startup item and you can just ENABLE back those that you disabled
  6. Close CCleaner then test your system

If the above process won't work, then you can do it using the SERVICES option. Here are the procedures:

1. Click Start => RUN (Or you can click Start => Programs => Accessories => RUN)
  2. In the RUN box, type: services.msc
  3. Then click the OK button or press Enter
  4. Then the Services window shall now open
  5. Click the "Standard" tab at the bottom part
  6. Then locate the Services named or related to Sonic Module. You can view the description in the "Description" column
  7. If you find one that relates to Sonic, please check if the Startup Type is set to "Automatic"
  8. If that is the case, right click on that service, then click "Properties"
  9. Then change the Startup Type to "Manual". That indicates that the activation is triggered only when you want it.
  10. Close the Services window
  11. Restart the computer and see if the problem pop up is gone

Regarding the NIS (Norton Internet Security) and SM, they are entirely different software if you are referring to the System Mechanic Pro from Iolo software. But as you experienced, NIS requires that SM is removed since it will be in conflict with it since SM has the Iolo Antivirus while NIS has the Norton Antivirus software included. NIS prevents you from installing 2 antivirus software in your system that would definitely cause trouble so it really prompts you to remove SM first. And YES, some of the SM features are present in NIS as well.

For more information about the NIS features, please click on this link:

http://us.norton.com/internet-security/

I hope that helped.

Best regards,

Jess