DRobertson
DRobertson, Consultant / Technician
Experience:  MCTS, MCDST, MCP, A+, Network+, 20+ years in IT. Support for OEMs. Computer repair business owner.
18430140

hi my girlfriend did a complete destructive recovery on her

hi my girlfriend did a complete destructive recovery on her laptop instead of system restore, now it will not load windows 7 , it just says that the computer restarted unexpectently or encountered an unexpected error and windows installation cannot proceed , to install click ( ok ) to retart comp and then restart installation , ell i have done what it says repeatedly yet no joy plz help , jason
Category: Computer
Expert:  DRobertson replied 2 years ago.

Intro:

Hi and thanks for writing us here at JustAnswer.com. Please know that to resolve your question may take some back and forth questions and answers.

Note that if at all possible to make sure your data is backed up first before starting troubleshooting. We cannot assure that settings, data, pictures, etc., will remain intact during our troubleshooting. We do our best to retain your data, but in the end this is not always possible.

We are here to help and will do our best to resolve your issue; we are not here to just make money. Also note that we do NOT work for any company and in no way represent them on their products and/or services.

Finally, at any point during the troubleshooting when we ask for info, be sure to give any and all details about lights, sounds, noises, messages, and errors you may see or have seen. What may not mean much to a standard user may mean a vital clue to us experts. Also, note that example pics included in responses are just that, EXAMPLES, and may not reflect exactly what you will see, but are for general reference and to help the client understand what in general they are looking for at any given point.

Good day.

I saw your posting and would like to try and help.

Let me first ask, if this is a install form CD or a recovery partition?

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it was from the machines own recovery, from pressing f8 i believe and went to windows recovery then full destructive

Thanks for the info and reply.

Ok, lets reboot the unit and look for a key, such as F12 that might say such: "F12 for Recovery" (wording and even key maybe different)

Tap that key and then let me know what options you have.

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hi it has come up with
safe mode
" " with networking
" " with command prompt

enable boot logging
eneable low rez vid
last known good confiuration
directory services restore mode
debugging mode
disable auto restart on sys failure
disable driver signature enforecment

start windows normally

Ok, so this seems to be our "Advanced Startup Boot Menu" - which is usually F8.

When you first start the system, what other keys are offered to you?

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hi
press del to run set up/ press f8 for recovery
press tab to display BIOS POST message/press f11 for multi boot menu

Ok, great and good job!

When we tap F11, what options are shown?

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
comes up
p1:TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L633C
P0:WDC WD2500BEVT-00A23TO
ENTER SET UP

PRESS UP OR DOWN TO SELECT
ENTER TO SELECT BOOT DEVICE
ESC to boot using defaults

Ok, so now we know for sure there is no recovery partition. We need the actual Windows 7 DVD.

Place that DVD in the drive and boot - let me know (and do nothing otherwise) what you get for the first screen the DVD stops at?

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the computer did not come with a cd / dvd to install windows it was already installed

Ok, so this too tells me something.

A lot of manufactures are going with a new method, which I do not like:

They have no recovery partition and have no DVD/CDs. Instead, in Control Panel, there is a program the user is suppose to run when they first start using the unit, which makes the DVD for just such an emergency.

My complaint is how do most users know they needed to do such until too late - which is our case.

Let me double check:

When you try the F8, you see this menu right?

safe mode
" " with networking
" " with command prompt

enable boot logging
enable low rez vid
last known good confiuration
directory services restore mode
debugging mode
disable auto restart on sys failure
disable driver signature enforecment

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yup thats is it along ith
start windows normally , at the bottom

What is the make and model number off the bottom or back of the unit?

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it is an advent sienna 300 cant find model number

Wow, they are a very hard company to find for support.

I did find them, and good thing! There maybe hope yet!

reboot and tap four or five times on the F10 key - you should see something about recovery starting?

Keep me posted.

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hi sorry i really wanna pay you but it has come up with this

edit windows boot options for : windows 7
path : \windows\system32\winload.exe

partition: 2
hard disk f1e48ea5

[ /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN
]

DO I JUST PRESS ENTER?

No need to apologize - it's not so much I was expecting payment, but you would have to understand how our computer system works is why that last post was submitted as an answer.

So this tells me that the recovery is corrupted.

According to their site, you will need to contact directly to PC World and they will supply the two CDs (if your out of warranty they cost approx $30)

Phone: 0870(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Here is the web site for support of that unit:

http://www.adventsupport.com/viewtopic.php?t=1037

Know I am here for any questions over this and once you have the CDs, even after payment, you can come right back to me and I will walk you thru using them to get the hard drive up and running again.

God bless and have a great day!

DRobertson, Consultant / Technician
Experience: MCTS, MCDST, MCP, A+, Network+, 20+ years in IT. Support for OEMs. Computer repair business owner.