NetEngOKC
NetEngOKC, Network Engineer
Experience:  17 year career in Information Technology, ranging from PC Tech to Information Security.
57767458

Outlook Express: The message could not be sent because the

Outlook Express:
The message could not be sent because the server rejected the senders e-mail address.
The senders e-mail address:xxxxxxx. Subject:xxxxx. Account: My AT&T Yahoo Email, Server: smtp.att.yahoo.com, Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: 530 authentication required

Hi and thanks for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you.

Can you try checking this setting for me? Let me know what you find. Thanks!

1. Open Outlook Express.
  2. Click on Tools -> Accounts.
  3. Highlight your mail account and click Properties.
  4. Click the Servers tab.
  5. Is the My server requires authentication box checked?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, not right now. I've tried it and as best I can recall it stopped my receiving of messages

OK please try checking it and then check one more setting for me.

1. Place a check the My server requires authentication box as discussed.
  2. Next, click the Advanced tab.
  3. Make sure the Outgoing mail (SMTP) box says 465 and then check the box that says This server requires a secure connection (SSL).
  4. Click OK.
  5. Try to send mail again. It should work now.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Below is the message i'm getting now.

Unable to logon to the server using Secure Password XXXXX Account: 'My AT&T Yahoo Email', Server: 'pop.att.yahoo.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '.', Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x800CCC18

OK great we just need to turn off SPA now. Please do the following:

1. In Outlook Express, click the Tools -> Options.
  2. Highlight your mail account and click Properties.
  3. Click the Servers tab.
  4. CLEAR the box for Log on using Secure Password XXXXX (Leave My server requires authentication checked)
  5. Click OK and try again.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm receiving now; but, not able to send. See message below.

The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's e-mail address. The sender's e-mail address was 'adrea6521 @sbcglobal.net'. Subject 'testing', Account: 'My AT&T Yahoo Email', Server: 'smtp.att.yahoo.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '501 Syntax error in arguments', Port: 465, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 501, Error Number: 0x800CCC78
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm now able to receive messages; but, the message below is what I got when I attempted to send.

I apologize for the delay. Let's try one more thing please:

1. In Outlook Express, click on Tools -> Accounts.
  2. Highlight your email account and click Properties.
  3. Click the Servers tab.
  4. Click the Settings button under the Outgoing Server section.
  5. Change the authentication choice to Log on Using.
  6. Type your email address, but end it in @att.net instead of @sbcglobal.net.
  7. Type your normal email password XXXXX click OK twice to save your changes.
  8. Try sending mail again.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When I click "send" I get a tile: Logon; My AT&T yahoo Email
Please enter your user name and password XXXXX the following server:
LOGON
Server:smtp.att.yahoo.com
User Name:[email protected]
Password: ******* (812gust)
"OK"
I click OK. It keeps refreshing (doesn't enter)
OK you can go ahead and punch your SBCGlobal address in that block with your password XXXXX see if it takes that. It should now.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We appear to be where we started. See below

The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's e-mail address. The sender's e-mail address was 'adrea6521 @sbcglobal.net'. Subject 'Testing', Account: 'My AT&T Yahoo Email', Server: 'smtp.att.yahoo.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '501 Syntax error in arguments', Port: 465, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 501, Error Number: 0x800CCC78
Well shoot. I am out of ideas then. You may want to contact ATT to make sure they haven't changed something with SBCGlobal accounts (that has happened before). I will opt out and hopefully either ATT can help or another tech here will jump in. Thanks and sorry I wasn't more help!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you. I thougt you were going solve my problem. I'm sorry it didn't work out.
Hi, my name isXXXXX'd like to help you with your question.

Just real quick, looks like you have a space between your username and the @sbcglobal.net. Can you verify this? 501 error code indicates a malformed email address which is consistent with a space in your address.

If that is that case, go into the account settings, hit properties on your account, remove the space there as well as the authentication settings (if set there).
NetEngOKC, Network Engineer
Experience: 17 year career in Information Technology, ranging from PC Tech to Information Security.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Problem solved!

You've earned our agreed upon $ 38.00

Thank You.