Dan - Master Tech
Dan - Master Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 35 years experience in the service and repair of all types of electronic equipment.
12940042

I have a powerpoint that I have been working on. I dont many

Customer Question

I have a powerpoint that I have been working on. I don't many images or graphics, just a slide with an excel table built into it. My problem is that I've opened the file, made some updates and am unable to save the file. I've tried saving with a different name too. I keep getting a message that says I need to ensure I have read and write privileges and to make sure the file is not encrypted. I know that the file is not encrypted. I've event tried saving it to a different location on my hard drive. I can't close it because I don't want to loose the work I just completed.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dan - Master Tech replied 5 years ago.

Dan - Master Tech :

Greetings, can you provide more detail on your situation? Is this a powerpoint presentation you created? What version do you have? Was this created on the current computer you are trying to save it on? Any additional information you can think of would be helpful. Dan

JACUSTOMER-254v7xn4- :

I'm using 2007. This is a file that I created as a template and have used previously. I've noticed this happens after it has been open for some time and I have made several changes. Once I start getting the issue, I close without saving, reopen and quickly make my changes again. If I do that, I have no problem saving. However, once I exceed more time and make any additional changes, I start receiving the following errors: Upon attempting to save "PowerPoint was unable to open or save this document. Please ensure that you have access privileges to read or write the document and that it is not encrypted." I click OK and it does nothing. Once I attempt to save again I get this message: "[the file path and name].pptx is read only. Do you want to save changes to a different file name?" I try using Save As and saving it under a different file name, to a different location. Once I click save I get the same error message as above: "PowerPoint was unable to open or save this document. Please ensure that you have access privileges to read or write the document and that it is not encrypted."

Dan - Master Tech :

Are you able to save or print as a PDF document?

Dan - Master Tech :

If you have PDF creation software such as Acrobat or other 3rd-party software then you should be able to "print" the powerpoint presentation as a PDF and save to your hard drive. Once this is done you can import one page at a time by viewing a single page, saving it to the clipboard in the Edit menu then pasting it onto a blank powerpoint slide. This is a long workaround but should preserve your final powerpoint slides.

Dan - Master Tech :

If you need additional assistance please let me know.

Dan - Master Tech :

JACUSTOMER-254v7xn4- :

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not sure I like the manual process.

JACUSTOMER-254v7xn4- :

After investigating I believe I might have found the issue. I found that the embedded excel table was corrupting after the powerpoint was open for an unknown amount of time. Each time I close and reopen the powerpoint I can make changes and save, but after so long I can no longer save. I might just have to remove the excel table and create a new one.

JACUSTOMER-254v7xn4- :

Thanks anyways.