Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Computer expert with over 10 years experience.
51029781

do i have to have the internet for magic jack plus

Customer Question

Category: Computer
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer.

The short answer is, Yes you do need the internet for magic plus or regular magic jack. Here is some more info on both devices.

Magic Jack (original) is a USB device that you connect to a USB port on your computer and plug any home telephone into Magic Jack's USB device.

MagicJack uses VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) and your computer will need an Internet access.

The device automatically downloads necessary software for making phone calls. You will need to register at Magic Jack's website to obtain a phone number of your choosing.

It allows you to make local phone calls and long distance phone call for a yearly payment of $19.95 USD.

A couple of things to consider. If you get the original magic jack your computer will need to be on anytime you would like to use the phone. Computer issues or problems may cause poor call quality.

The newer magic jack plus does not require you to plug it into the computer, it is a stand alone device that plugs directly into your wireless router which plugs into your internet connection. If you do not have a router you would need one to use the service.

Another thing I should mention is that when since Magic Jack uses the internet if your internet or electricity are out in your home the Magic Jack will not operate.

To use magicJack you need a cable Internet, DSL, Wi-Fi, wireless or WiMax connection. You can not use magicJack with dial-up or satellite Internet services.

Hope this answers your question, if it does please click the accept button. If you need further explanation please reply to me and let me know.

Thank You