Justin
Justin, Network Administrator/Not Limited
Experience:  Network Specialist Degree, A+/Net+ Certs, 10 years Contract IT/Network Administration
2888018

msn.com e-mail will not open

msn.com e-mail will not open    I get the sign in page, but it will not open the account
Category: Computer
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
Greetings.

Could you elaborate a bit further on this issue?

Are you receiving an error message when trying to sign in to your email, or a crash perhaps?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
says that the website is taking too long to open....and will not open....my hotmail.com e-mail will open
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
On your initial inquiry, it shows you're using Firefox.

Could you try using Internet Explorer as a quick test and try to sign into your MSN mail? Let me know the results.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
does the same on Internet Explorer
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
So when you got to hotmail.com, and sign in with your msn.com email (which is proper since they are one in the same), it just hangs there trying to load?

What antivirus are you using?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have 2 e-mails accounts...1)XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX 2)XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX hotmail opens to e-mail list, msn. will not connect.

Verizon is my antivirus/security site...
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
I understand.

What I'm saying is, hotmail and msn are actually the same, they merged years ago. Just the addresses are different.

If you sign in at hotmail.com, or sign in at live.com, or msn.com, it doesn't matter if you try to sign in with your msn or hotmail account at each page, as they are the same servers.

I'm trying to determine where the hang up begins.

I'm assuming you get to the login page @

http://www.live.com

Correct? Its when you put in your msn account, and click sign in that it hangs
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes, I get the sign in page and then it goes blank.....and will not open....should I try a password change?
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
I don't think that's the problem. It sounds like an open session.

I'd like you to do two things.

In Firefox, click Tools > Clear recent history.

If you don't see tools, tap the Alt key once. In the drop down where it asks what you want to clear, choose everything, and clear it.

Go to start, type cmd. It will appear above in the list, right click it, click Run As Administrator. Type

ipconfig /flushdns
and hit enter. There's a space between ipconfig and /flushdns.

If none of the above works, let me know and we'll get a little more hands on.

Experience: Network Specialist Degree, A+/Net+ Certs, 10 years Contract IT/Network Administration
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
tools there.....recent history did not do anything.....this is happening on 3 computers
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Verizon tech support took over screen and could not find a proble,,,,,can you take over screen?
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
I can, but you'll have to give me about 10 minutes is that ok?

Currently in a remote session.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
if you can fix it,Verizon thinks it's a msn server problem
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
this what I get since yesterday afternoon The connection has timed out

The server at co123w.col123.mail.live.com is taking too long to respond.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
I for sure think its a server side issue.

But it doesn't mean it can't be fixed from your end. If you're forced to fill out the account form to make contact with them, fine. But I can explore other options remotely if you can give me a few minutes to close out this session.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
fine....I need to go to the other room.for a few minutes...do you need phone #
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
No, just check back in like 10 or 15 and I'll have instructions.

Also you said it happens on 3 computers. Are all 3 computers in the same location?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
2 lap tops both now in living room...kid on skype w/o problems...desk unit up stairs
other websites all open
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will be shortly back...and leave this open for your help
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
While you're waiting for me.

There is one test you can do.

I'm assuming you have a router and a modem (if not, just let me know). Try bypassing the router with one machine and attempt to login. Whether server side or not, this is a routing/network issue as much as an account issue.

And sounds good, I will not forget about you, just need to close up this session so you have my full attention.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Verizon went into system and says it's not a routing problem...they checked connections....all other sites work
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
So you just have a router/modem, not a router and modem?

And no problem, like I said, you aren't without options still we'll explore them shortly. Just waiting for some slow program to update on this client's computer and then i'll be ready.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
one unit...router
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Verizon is checking again
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
Ok I'm ready when you are but I'm not going to remote in when they are as well haha.

Just toss me a reply when finished.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
will do....too bad no one can contact the MSN gods
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
You can, through a lengthy form, and a lot of waiting =\