derrickonline
derrickonline, Information Technology Manager
Experience:  15 years experience in the Information Technology field.
22792886

My Maxtor OneTourch 4 is not accessable and I get ERROR >>>

Customer Question

My Maxtor OneTourch 4 is not accessable and I get 'ERROR >>> 2HA11T4W' when trying to run backup. I tried to do a system backup to it before installing updates and it errored after running about 45 minutes and now I can't access my external drive.
Category: Computer
Expert:  derrickonline replied 2 years ago.
I get probably one or two Maxtor OneTouch errors per day from clients. 90% are simply dead drives.

Does the drive show up with a drive letter?
Or does it now show up in Windows at all?
Does the drive make any odd noises?
Or does it make LESS noise than it did before?
Is it hotter than usual?
Is the fan running?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Everything seems to be normal except the icon changed from the picture of the hard drive to a standard type icon picture.

Does the drive show up with a drive letter? YES bur does not give capacity or free space.
Or does it now show up in Windows at all? YES
Does the drive make any odd noises? NO
Or does it make LESS noise than it did before? Sounds normal.
Is it hotter than usual? NO
Is the fan running? Yes

Thank you for that info.

If you click MY COMPUTER or COMPUTER (if you run Windows 7)
Do you see the drive listed?
Are you able to click/double-click it to access the data on the drive?
Does the data show up?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Drive is not accessible but does show up on COMPUTER:

Do you see the drive listed? Yes shows 'Local Drive (E:)
Are you able to click/double-click it to access the data on the drive? NO. Clicking on the driver gives error dialoge box 'Location is not available' with RED X "E:\ is not accessible." and message 'The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.'

Does the data show up? No

Your disk may be bad. But let's try this first.

Click COMPUTER (or My Computer)
RIGHT-Click the "E" drive (assuming that's your Maxtor drive)
Select Properties.
Click Tools
Click Error-checking
Check both boxes
Run scan
See if it's able to repair the any corruption.

Report back and if it still doesn't work will trying one last thing before I give you the bad news.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I dont think the disk is bad but something is blocking windows from getting to it.

When I click on 'Error-Checking' I get the followign error:

'The disk check could not be performed because Windows can't access the disk.'

Have you already tried restarting the computer? If not, do this. Turn off the Maxtor. Restart the computer. Once Windows starts up, turn the drive back on. See if you have any luck.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How do I get back to this point of communicatioin with you after I restart my computer? Don't want to lose what we have so far.

I did try rebooting but did NOT turn off the Maxtor. Will try that if you can explain how we can pick back up at this point afterward.

Please bookmark this page in your browser so you can get back to me.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok, when I plugged the Maxtor in Microsoft Windows is saying "You need to format the disk in drive E: before you can use it. Do you want to format it?"

The Drive information screen shows it to be a 1.6 TB but it is actually only a 500 GB. It shows 1 Bytes free space and File System as sListView32.

Should I format it?

Do you have a lot of data on the drive?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, but it is mainly used to back up cricital data on my C drive. It contains the back up logs which all look good up until last night when it could not access the drive. This occurred AFTER I tried to do a system back up before installing windows updates. This is why I'm thinking there is some setting on the drive that got contaminated by the backup, preventing access to it.

I think I can get by with out the data on the E drive but do you think this windows format will be correct for the Maxtor or would the Maxtor software need to format it? Just want to be sure it is useable.

No you answered my question. It sounds like the partition may have gotten corrupted. I recomend just formatting it in Windows. No need to format using Maxtor software. This will produce a blank drive. I would then do a back up of your machine as soon as possible since all your backups were deleted of the drive.
Experience: 15 years experience in the Information Technology field.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Drive reformated and backed up files.

Thanks for the assistance.

Excellent. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.