Bernie
Bernie, Computer Specialist
Experience:  6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified
46068869

Why does the blue circle next to the cursor keep spinning?

Why does the blue circle next to the cursor keep spinning? It started a couple of weeks ago and won't stop.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and thanks for asking your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be your expert today.

Does this cursor spin immediately when you log in and stays that way, or is it when you open a certain program?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It spins immediately and stays that way
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX you able to use that computer to some extent, or is it frozen on the spinning cursor and won't let you do anything?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Most of the time I can use it just fine; however, it does freeze up and seems to be slower. I have to restart occasionally.
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
If you're on that computer right now (let me know if you're not), I'd like to rule out any malware that might be doing this first, get the free Antimalwarebytes program, click HERE (or right click and save target/link as).

Once installed, open the program, press start trial, and do a full scan. After it's done, press ok, then click the show results button in the lower right.

On the next screen, check all the boxes and then press the remove selected button to remove any infections that it found. Restart and see if the cursor is still spinning.

To return go to www.justanswer.com and click My Questions on the top right. Login if needed, then click on your question and it will bring you back to this page.

Thanks
Bernie, Computer Specialist
Experience: 6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Followed all your directions and restarted, but it did not work. The circle is still there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

please see previous response. The blue circle is still there.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Bernie, How much longer do you expect this will take?
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
I sincerely apologize for the delay, I had to log off. Did the program find any infections and remove them?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes, it did - many, but the blue circle is still there. I apologize for responding incorrectly. I hit the wrong button when trying to respond to your last direction.
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Ok, the infections that were on the computer may have caused some damage already, lets check your Windows core files and make sure everything is ok there, press the Windows Start button > In the box type cmd, then from the results that show right click cmd and select run as administrator >

Type sfc /scannow (With a space in between both sfc and /scannow) > Press enter > Windows will repair your Operating system files

Let me know what it says at the end of the scan, it may take a while
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay - scanning now. You probably won't hear back from me until tomorrow. It is bedtime here for me :)
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
No problem, post back anytime : )
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The scan is complete - it states:

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.

Details are included in the CBS.log windir\logs\CBS\CBS.log

Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
The SFC scanner detects problems with your windows core files, and cannot fix them, then you'll want to either repair with the Windows CD, or restore the computer to factory defaults (essentially clean installs windows back onto the system).

Once the core files get corrupted (sometimes from an infection that slips past the antivirus at one point, especially if it misses an update), your computer will go downhill from there and in this case, constant loading of an unknown process.

What I highly recommend is backing up any important files that you might have to a usb flash drive, you can get one of these at any nearby computer/electronic store fairly cheap. Please let me know if you need any help or have any concerns on how to backup certain things (like favorite websites), or Outlook mail (if you use outlook).

Then, please let me know the make of this computer (Dell, HP, Toshiba, etc), and if you have a separate Windows CD for it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I back everything up every week to an external drive. The computer is a Dell and it has a 3-year warranty on it for in-home service.
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Ok good, if you have already backed up your data and can restore it, use your Dell Reinstallation cd and reinstall Windows.

You can also restart the computer and start tapping F8 immediately until you get to the boot menu > Select Repair your Computer > Press next > Login to your account > Select Dell Factory Image Restore, next >

Check the "Yes, reformat hard drive and restore system to factory condition", and follow the prompts to complete the recovery.

Any programs that did not come with the computer you will need to reinstall.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Bernie - I appreciate your help. What is my total bill?