Bernie
Bernie, Computer Specialist
Experience:  6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified
46068869

Adobe flash player does not work for me in Internet Explorer

Adobe flash player does not work for me in Internet Explorer 9. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling two or three times. I have added weightwatchers.com, which requires Adobe Flash, to my safe sites in Explorer Tools and check "run active x controls". I can't remember what all I have tried that was suggested by WeightWatchers tech support - nothing has worked.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and thanks for asking your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be your expert today.

Please try a free alternative browser called Firefox, go to this link: www.firefox.com

Click the green download button on that link, then run the download and install the browser.

Use the Firefox browser (double click the firefox icon on your desktop) to go to your WeightWatchers and and see if that works now. If it does, I highly recommend making it your default browser. I use it as mine, and you can have both IE and Firefox on the computer as needed. We can also take further steps with IE, just let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I forgot to mention that it does work fine in firefox. That is what I've been using while wrestling with the problem but I prefer explorer.
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
No problem, thanks for updating me, lets take these steps:

First reset IE: Press the Windows Start button > In the search box type inetcpl.cpl > Press enter on the keyboard >

Click the Advanced tab > Now, close all other windows except this small Internet Properties one > Click the reset button > Press the reset button again > Click close, ok

Then: Uninstall Adobe Flash using the uninstaller tool, click HERE

After you've installed and used the Adobe Flash uninstaller tool to remove previous flash versions, get the Flash offline installation for IE, click HERE

Close IE and run the installer after it has downloaded, make sure your antivirus is turned off, it should now install correctly, keep me updated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This is so weird! Now Weight Watchers won't go to the login fields - when I click login it keeps bringing me back to the home page. There is a lock symbol on the login button. Any idea what's going on there? I remember this happening once before but don't remember how it got resolved.
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Try this, click HERE

Can you login on that page?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, the same thing happens.
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
That is strange, open Firefox and try to go to the weightwatchers website and login there, same thing?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, I can log in but flash not longer works, of course.
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your patience, this one is a bit tricky. Lets carry out these steps:

Uninstall Adobe Flash using the uninstaller tool, click HERE

After you've installed and used the Adobe Flash uninstaller tool to remove previous flash versions, get the Flash offline installation for Firefox, click HERE

Close Firefox and run the installer after it has downloaded, make sure your antivirus is turned off, it should now install correctly. Then use Firefox to login and see if the flash works.
Bernie, Computer Specialist
Experience: 6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay, but I know Firefox will work after I install it there. It's the IE Active X version that doesn't work. Also, I noticed that the latest version on the Adobe site for IE is Beta. Should I be concerned about that? Also, I think I just accidentally accepted the answer - can that be undone, please?
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
On the accept, that can't be undone immediately, but if I am not able to solve this for you, I will have you refunded right away.

I am starting to think your IE might be 64 bit and that's where we're running into issues.

Which version of Internet Explorer are you using? At the top, click Help > About Internet Explorer, does it say 32 or 64 bit, and is it 8 or 9?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It's 9.0.3. It does not say anything about 32 or 64 bit.

Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanks, this means you have the 32 bit version. Now lets check your Vista:

Click the Windows Start button, then right click Computer and select properties. Under system type does it say 32 or 64 bit?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It says 32 bit
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanks, please click HERE

In the first box pick the Vista 32 bit version, and in the second the Internet Explorer 32 bit version for Flash Player 11. Download and install that (and make sure your antivirus is turned off). It may ask you to close all browser windows to install correctly, try that, then restart IE.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I got an error while it was downloading "application currently in use".
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Open Firefox and go to this site: http://is.gd/PZuztg

(If you're in Firefox right now, click HERE)

Download and save this file. Then, when the downloads window comes up, right click the file and select open containing folder, a new window will open with the installation file highlighted. Next, close all browser windows (including this one), then run the installation file by double clicking it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's already working in firefox. It's IE I'm having trouble with. Do you still want me to go to firefox?
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry, I think there's been some misunderstanding. I don't want "switch" Firefox for now, I just thought you were trying to download the IE flash installation file with Internet Explorer and that's when you got the error.

So I want you to just use Firefox for the purpose of downloading the file, download it and install it the way I gave directions for, then open Internet Explorer and see if it works now.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I got the same error in firefox.
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Is this when you try to download the file from that link I gave, or when you try to open the file after it's downloaded?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When i open it and it starts to install. It gets to 50% and then stops and gives the error message.
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Did you close all browser windows (Both Firefox and Internet Explorer windows) before opening the installation file?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can't. The Adobe site just starts downloading - there is no save. Firefox brings up a saved download list and when I try to close firefox it goes away. I tried double clicking and getting the download started, then closing firefox right away but still got the error message.
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Would you like to initiate a remote desktop session so I can temporarily access your computer and try to fix this while you watch?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sure!
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, to start a Remote Session with me:

1. Click this link: http://67.192.95.188:8040/guest.aspx?Session=a072939e-2f28-4444-be92-3a458a5f0cff&SUPPORT=NET

2. Select Run Remote Desktop, after which it will say "Joining Session."

3. At the prompt, run/continue/allow the program. If your antivirus pops up as well, make sure to select allow as well. You should then see "Ready to Connect" at the bottom right.
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
I'm afraid I'm out of ideas and will need to opt out. You will get an email when someone posts to this page.

Remote Desktop notes: Reset IE, ran IE in safe mode, Flash is fully updated, youtube videos working, weightwatchers.com will not login correctly. Firefox works ok. In IE, after clicking Login it loops back to the homepage. Did not do this previously, problem started 2-3 months ago.

Did not run safe mode or clean modes, system restore, or test a new windows account.