Sergio A.
Sergio A., Technologist
Experience:  Over 18 years of troubleshooting all types of technology.

google does not work on my computer, only get blank screen

Customer Question

Category: Computer
Expert:  Sergio A. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, my name is Sergio. Thanks for allowing me to help you.

Are you referring to Google search or another Google product?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
google.com
Expert:  Sergio A. replied 2 years ago.
OK, this can be from some corrupt temporary internet files on your PC. I recommend the following tool and process to give your PC and browser a tune-up. Give this a shot and let me know how you make out. Thanks

Ccleaner - this will remove unnecessary files from your PC and free up a significant amount of space, including temporary internet files and other junk files. It will also clean out the system registry, which is where all of your program pointers reside. Run the file and registry cleaner 2 or 3 times each, or until they do not come up with findings..

http://download.cnet.com/ccleaner/

1. Click the above link and then select Download
  2. Once the file is done downloading, launch the installer and follow the prompts
  1. I would recommend unchecking any options that ask if you want to install any add-on software, like Yahoo toolbar.
  1. Follow the prompts to complete the installation
  2. Once installed, launch the program from your Desktop or Start Menu
  3. Click on the Analyze button on the bottom of the screen (optional - uncheck any items that you do not wish to scan)
  4. Check to be sure nothing will be deleted that you may want to retain. It is rare to want to keep any of the files.
  5. Click Run Cleaner, this will delete all of the unnecessary files.
  6. Click on the Registry tab
  7. Click Scan for Issues
  8. Once complete, click Fix Selected Issues
  9. Click Yes to save a backup of the registry file
  1. Click Fix All Selected Issues
  1. Repeat the scan until no issues are discovered
  2. Run the utility on a regular basis to keep your system running smoothly. You may want to uncheck some Internet browser options if you find that it is removing things that you may want to use or refer to, like your internet History.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
did not fix
Expert:  Sergio A. replied 2 years ago.
OK, let's try some additional troubleshooting. Can you get to other web sites without any problems?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes, except bing.com
Expert:  Sergio A. replied 2 years ago.
OK, so you can get to most sites, but search engines are not working, correct? Do you have any other web browsers installed, and if so, can you get to these sites using them?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do not have other web browser installed, only IE8
Expert:  Sergio A. replied 2 years ago.
OK, I'm thinking that you may have some malware/virus on your PC that has hijacked your browser. Let's try downloading and installing this free scanner:

Malwarebytes - this will scan for and remove malware. Be sure to update it after you install it. Run this twice.

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html

Let me know if you have any problems installing it or running it.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I ran it 3 times, it found 2 problems on the first pass, none on the next 2.

But still no google or bing

Expert:  Sergio A. replied 2 years ago.
OK, next, lets try restarting your PC in save mode and see if you can get to Google or Bing. Follow these instructions to boot to Safe Mode with Networking. It it works in this mode then there is something blocking it.

Restart your PC
When it gets to the black screen, keep pressing the F8 key
You will come to a menu with various boot options, choose Safe Mode with Networking
You will see some nonstandard screens, but eventually you will get to a login screen
Once the machine is fully loaded and stable (the screen resolution may be big too), try getting to google or bing

Let me know if this works.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it did not work

can we resume on tuesday ? I am leaving shortly and will not be in the office on Monday.

Expert:  Sergio A. replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I will do more research in the meantime. Have a nice weekend!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am back in the office. I am ready to restart troubleshooting this problem. Let me know what to do next at your convienience.

Expert:  Sergio A. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, hope you had a nice weekend. Before we get into more troubleshooting, let's recap to see where we left off.

The last thing you did was boot to safe mode with networking, and Google and Bing still did not display?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
that is correct.
Expert:  Sergio A. replied 2 years ago.
OK, let's dig a little deeper then. Is this is a laptop or desktop, and if it is a laptop, have you tried connecting it to another network, like a public hotspot, etc.?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
desktop, windows7
Expert:  Sergio A. replied 2 years ago.
are you connected to your network with a wired or wireless connection?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
wired
Expert:  Sergio A. replied 2 years ago.
Let's try resetting your browser to the default settings. Follow these instructions:

1. Open IE, then click Tools > Internet Options
  2. Click on the Security tab
  3. Click on the button that says "Reset all zones to default level"
  4. Click Apply
  5. Click on the Advanced tab
  6. Click "Restore advanced settings"
  7. Click OK
  8. Restart your browser and then retest
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no, did not fix
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I reset the options as instructed. after restart IE I opened new tab, I noticed that "babylon" was a search engine ?? This is softeware that I tested several weeks ago to translate some documents. I attached an image. note the heading and the 2nd tab.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Expert:  Sergio A. replied 2 years ago.
Oh, well let's try and get rid of that. It seems plausible that it may be hijacking your search engines.
  1. Click Start, then enter Add or Remove Programs into the Search bar
  2. Click on the program when it appears in the results
  3. Navigate to the program
  4. Click Uninstall
  5. Follow the Prompts to remove it
  6. When it is removed, you may want to run CCleaner again to delete any residual files and registry entries
  7. Restart your PC (not always necessary, but recommended)
  8. Retest

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did not see anything with that name in the Add/Remove list ? I looked on the internet to see if it has a different company name. alsa, it is the same. could it be in the registry ?
Expert:  Sergio A. replied 2 years ago.
Although Malwarebytes usually does a great job in getting rid of spyware, I've read on a few forums that SpyBot does a great job of removing Babylon. Download it and run it and see what happens. In the meantime I'll keep researching it.

http://download.cnet.com/Spybot-Search-Destroy/3000-8022_4-10122137.html
Expert:  Sergio A. replied 2 years ago.
Also, look for myBabylon in Add/Remove Programs
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
spybot found 5 issues, all babylon related. I enabled "fix" and it removed them. however, still no google or bing
Expert:  Sergio A. replied 2 years ago.
Try resetting the browser to the default settings again. Also, what version of IE are you running? If it is less than 9, do you want to try upgrading it?

Here is the link:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/downloads/ie

Alternatively, we could try installing Google Chrome or Firefox to see if it is the browser or something else on your PC.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i did a reset, no luck. I am running IE8, installing IE9 is ok with me. i will install IE9 if I have any problems, I will try chrome.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
IE9 was no different from IE8. I could not download chrome (no surprise) because the url is google.com
So, I downloaded and installed firefox. google & bing did not work on FF either. This is very perplexing, as these search engines work fine on other computers in the organization.
Expert:  Sergio A. replied 2 years ago.
Urghh...this is most definitely perplexing. Thank you for having the patience to keep working with me.

I do have a question for you, though; you say other computers in the "organization." Are you in a networked office, or connecting straight to the interent. If on a LAN, can you tell me a little bit of how the network is set up?

Thanks
Expert:  Sergio A. replied 2 years ago.
here is a direct link to Chrome, see if it works:
http://www.google.com/chrome/eula.html
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes, I am on a network, all are connected via gigabit switch. to the router.

also, the direct link did not work. apprently google.com is the stopper. I am going to move this computer to a different port on the switch and see if that makes a difference.
Expert:  Sergio A. replied 2 years ago.
OK. You might also want to try connecting another PC to the port you are using. Is this a laptop or desktop PC? I'm wondering if we can test it on another network.

Out of curiosity, do you have a technical or network support function there, in case we might need to get them involved?

Thanks