Justin
Justin, Network Administrator/Not Limited
Experience:  Network Specialist Degree, A+/Net+ Certs, 10 years Contract IT/Network Administration
2888018

Itunes 64 bit with Windows 7 on a PC keeps crashing. Cannot

Customer Question

Itunes 64 bit with Windows 7 on a PC keeps crashing. Cannot download anything.
Any fixes?
Category: Computer
Expert:  johnn mack replied 5 years ago.
Hello there! Can you tell me what error message you get when itunes crashes?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The error message is "iTunes has stopped working...." and asks if I would like Windows to seek a solution, or "Close". Neither option works. One interesting point. After choosing to close the progam, iTunes restarts itself in the same non-functioning mode.

Sounds like itunes wasn't installed correctly. So what we will have to do is remove all the programs that itunes installs but they have to be removed exactly as listed below. Then restart your computer and reinstall itunes.

• iTunes
  • QuickTime
  • Apple Software Update
  • Apple Mobile Device Support
  • Bonjour
  • Apple Application Support
  • Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    Followed your instructions. After removal of the 6 items from Apple, I found an empty iTunes folder in Program Files (x86). I could not delete in Win 7; had to use DOS to kill it ("rmdir"). Shut down the computer (Sony VAIO) and re-ran iTunesSetup64.exe. Same problem. I had to kill iTunes 7 times while writing this note. It keeps re-starting itself.
    Alright sounds like it still not taking the files when they install.First i want to make sure there is nothing blocking the install. To do this we have to go to start ( windows icon) then in the search box type msconfig. Hit enter and a window will appear saying windows configuration utility. In the first tab there will be a option that says diagnostic startup. Click that then ok and reset. Then uninstall everything again but this time instead of installing itunes first i want you to install quicktime from apple site. Then install itunes.
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    OK. Will do.
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    Sorry, work requirements have to be addressed. Have uninstalled iTunes to get some work done. It may be a few days before I can find time to revisit the problem. I suspect Sony's software on my VAIO may be interfering with iTunes. Will get back to you ASAP.
    Expert:  Justin replied 5 years ago.

Please read: Remember to return and click the Accept button ONLY once your issue is resolved. If the first answer does not work, just REPLY to me and we will continue.

When you get time I would start rooting out software conflicts using my guide below (all steps are reversible)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vGG5zEp6suqfxuyWwkXcPGP5_aiLJuNaBx1ZHT7R1Fw/edit?hl=en_US

Trace files left over after uninstall are common. If you want a thorough uninstall of Itunes, you can use an uninstall program like:

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

Based on what you tried though, I'm betting its an issue with a conflicting program, Virus scanner being the most common. You may have to uninstall your AV to see if its causing a conflict.

Furthermore, for a matter of thoroughness, I'd do a virus scan.

http://tinyurl.com/3d6ee2b

The above is a post infection cleaner, much more thorough than real time scanners. Its called malwarebytes, its free. Do a full scan, if it finds an infection, click Show Results, and click Remove Selected. Restart afterwards.

Lastly, be sure that itunes isn't running in some sort of compatibility switch. Right click the executable, click properties. Check the compatibility tab. Nothing here should be checked.

If you do root out the culprit via msconfig, the vast majority (if not everything) of that can be disabled as its not required for the OS to run effeciently. Almost all programs try to load in startup nowadays.

Anyway, give the above a shot when you get time, and let me know the results. If no improvement, respond using REPLY. Thank you

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    Just to let you know: Norton Security was the problem. I had not properly shut it down during the installation. I ran iTunes twice (after restart), and it is no longer coming back from the dead. It seems very slow, but I no longer have to use Task Manager to shut it down.

Thanks!

Nelson
    Expert:  Justin replied 5 years ago.
    Awesome, happy to hear.

If you have been satisfied with my assistance you may click Accept. If you need anything further, just reply. Thank you and have a wonderful day.
    Experience: Network Specialist Degree, A+/Net+ Certs, 10 years Contract IT/Network Administration