Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer, Microsoft
Experience:  approx 20 years of experience from software to hardware design
5195814

My Acer aspire laptop will not start up because something is

Customer Question

My Acer aspire laptop will not start up because something is either deleted or corrupted. I do not have a recovery disk - how can I get back into my computer as it will not start up? please hep - desperate to get it working
Category: Computer
Expert:  Claws224 replied 2 years ago.

Claws224 :

Are there any files you need to keep on the mahcine other than those stored in the My Documents folder?

JACUSTOMER-ls693ww5- :

no not really - I have some photos but would like to get my computer to start working

Claws224 :

If not could you power off the machine and then wait 5 seconds and power it back up, As soon as you let go of the power button could you then press and hold the ALT GRN button on the right hand side of the Spacebar and then press the F10 key and you should then get to the acer recovery screen where you should then have the option to reload your machine and keep your files in the My Documents folder

Claws224 :

So if you would try powering up and pressing the ALT GRN and the F10 key and let me know what happens

Claws224 :

Thanks

JACUSTOMER-ls693ww5- :

ok doing it now

Claws224 :

Ok,

take your time and let me know what happens

JACUSTOMER-ls693ww5- :

its says enter HDD user password

Claws224 :

Ok, Do you know your password?

If not can you just try hitting enter and seeing if it will let you through with a blank password.

JACUSTOMER-ls693ww5- :

yes - its CLEAR

Claws224 :

Great

Claws224 :

Let me know what it says on the screens you see so we can make sure to choose the correct option

Claws224 :

Is it giving you the restore options?

JACUSTOMER-ls693ww5- :

HDD recovery validation failed - press any key to continue

Claws224 :

Ok,

Claws224 :

Can you think of any password you may have used or is there a common password you may have used when you first got the machine?

JACUSTOMER-ls693ww5- :

the screen Windows boot manager came up it says...

JACUSTOMER-ls693ww5- :

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem: Insert windows installation disc and restart computer.

JACUSTOMER-ls693ww5- :

(I don't have an installation disc.)

Claws224 :

Ok, Can you restart again and try entering your most common password that you would have used and let me know if you can then get into the restore screen

JACUSTOMER-ls693ww5- :

its not asking me for a password it takes me straight to the windows boot manager screen and it says launch repair or start normally

JACUSTOMER-ls693ww5- :

it says windows error recovery - launch start up repair or start windows normally

Claws224 :

Ok,

If you are doing this from the machine being turned all the way off it should ask you for the password again, If not the problem is that you will need to have a factory disk to perform the restore, You can usually get one for free from acer at https://secure.tx.acer.com/RCDB/Main.aspx?brand=acer however if your machine is older they may charge you $20.00 for the disks and shipping

Claws224 :

Ok,

Claws224 :

Can you select startup repair and let me know what it says?

JACUSTOMER-ls693ww5- :

it says windows failed to start. a recent hardware or software change might be the cause insert windows installation disc

JACUSTOMER-ls693ww5- :

it also says the boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible

Claws224 :

Ok,

Can you try powering the machine off and waiting 5 seconds then powering up and pressing the ALTGRN and F10 keys again and let me know if you get the password prompt again so you can try your most common password

Claws224 :

If not can you power the machine off and then wait 5 seconds and power it up but this time do not press anything and tell me what screen it stops loading at and what it says on that screen?

JACUSTOMER-ls693ww5- :

the password "clear" worked

JACUSTOMER-ls693ww5- :

ok...it took me straight back to the windows recover error screen

Claws224 :

Ok, When you tried the blank password you got the authentication error "

HDD recovery validation failed - press any key to continue"

JACUSTOMER-ls693ww5- :

yes

Claws224 :

so what that tells me is that the blank password was not correct

JACUSTOMER-ls693ww5- :

yup - I retyped it and "clear" worked

Claws224 :

If the password was correct then the recovery manager screen should have then opened

Claws224 :

Unless it is damaged

JACUSTOMER-ls693ww5- :

yes it did

Claws224 :

Ok, Hold on just a second so I can find a picture to show you

JACUSTOMER-ls693ww5- :

ok

Claws224 :

Ok,

The screen we are wanting should have the Acer logo in the top left corner and will look something like this

JACUSTOMER-ls693ww5- :

sorry I don't see the picture

Claws224 :

Sorry, It is taking a moment to upload

JACUSTOMER-ls693ww5- :

oh ok

Claws224 :

Full Size Image

Claws224 :

This is not the exact screen you will see but it should look like this with different options

Claws224 :

what you are probably getting is a black screen with options like launch startup crepair, start in Safe Mode, Et

Claws224 :

Is that correct?

JACUSTOMER-ls693ww5- :

yes

Claws224 :

Ok

Claws224 :

That is the windows recovery menu that is built into windows, The one we want is the Acer factory restore

Claws224 :

The issue is that without the correct password your machine will not open the Acer menu and will instead try to boot and go to the Windows menu

Claws224 :

I know that sounds confusing but am I making sense?

JACUSTOMER-ls693ww5- :

just turned on the computer and used the most common password the "clear did not work - or the only other password I know and it brought be straight to HDD recovery validation failed again

Claws224 :

Ok,

JACUSTOMER-ls693ww5- :

once we turn on the computer it brings us straight to the HDD password

JACUSTOMER-ls693ww5- :

frustrating lol

Claws224 :

Ok, In that case I am sorry to say but you will have to order the recovery disk from Acer using the link I posted before

JACUSTOMER-ls693ww5- :

:-( ok thanks for trying

Claws224 :

That is the only way I legally know to get past the password, however it will take 5-7 days to get he disk

JACUSTOMER-ls693ww5- :

thank you

Claws224 :

Welcome, Just make a note of this address to order the disk from Acer https://secure.tx.acer.com/RCDB/Main.aspx?brand=acer

Claws224 :

Like I said they usually send them out for free but if the machine is older they will charge a small fee for the shipping