Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Worked With The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I was playing DVDs using clear.fi on my acer aspire 5733Z-4851.

Customer Question

I was playing DVD's using clear.fi on my acer aspire 5733Z-4851. Since running an update (by mistake more or less) for clear.fi, I believe, it wouldn't start up anymore, when putting in a DVD. I'm still able to view the DVD's using Windows Media Player, prefer the clear.fi though and would love to have it back the way it was (starting up as soon as the dvd was inserted). It also won't work, when I click on the D: drive and then "play with clear.fi"? I'd appreciate your help.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer.com

My name isXXXXX am one of the experts who will assist you today!

Lets try and easy step first.. This may solve the issue, but if it doesnt then send me a reply so we can continue working the issue.

Click start, all programs, accessories, system tools, system restore..

Click, restore my computer to an earlier pont, then click next..

We want to choose a restore point that was at least one day before the issues started..

Carry out the restore. the computer will restart, then let me know if that fixed the issue or not..

( if it does fix the issue, dont run the clear.fi update again.. , as we dont want to mess up the program a second time)

To get back to me..

Come back to Justanswer.com

On the top right, click login. use the same email address you used to ask this question.

Once logged in.

On the top right,, click on my questions. And you will see our question listed there.

Simply click our question, and send me a response!

Or, you can find any of my replies in your email, click on it and it will bring you back to Justanswer.com, and this specific question we are working on together!

Please click the green accept button to show I have assisted you.

If you still need assistance, You can reply to this message at any time.
If my answer helped, please make sure to leave positive feedback on the screen that comes up after clicking accept. If my answer did not work, please wait to leave feedback till we get the issue fixed!
Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Worked With The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I just asked a follow-up question, because I didn't run the restore, yet. I didn't get the exact choice "restore my computer to earlier point" you listed. So, I didn't run the restore yet and the problem therefore isn't fixed! Did you receive the follow up? Maybe, I shouldn't have clicked "accepted" just yet? Sorry, I'm very new at all this....
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
I didnt see the follow up.. and dont worry about accepting.. If I cant help you fix the issue, you can always rescind the accept..

That being said, when you ran system restore it should have started out with two choices, one being create a restore point,and the other being restore to an earlier point.

What options did you get instead?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
System Restore Window: got the following choices:
- Undo System Restore: 10/25/11 and
- Choose a different restore point
When I click on "choose a different restore point, I get the list:
10/24/11 Installed Suite......
10/24/11 Windows Update.....critical update.....
That was what I did and couldn't think of the technical term... That 'veI tried that, I guess, you can tell by the option "Undo System Restore: 10/25/11"

Thanks
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Ok, you restored to 10/25

about when did the problem start?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It started on 10/24/11. As I said, I did try to restore, but it didn't solve the problem.
Now, I'm a little gun-shy and I didn't follow your steps all the way through - I cancelled after the above choices weren't exactly what you suggested.... help
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
The restore you did.. Wouldnt have worked..

The problem started on 10/24

and you restored to 10/25.. ( when the problem was still there)

I need you to try a restore, and restore to a date before 10/24

This one may work.

10/24/11 Installed Suite

Then.. test and see if it fixed the issue..

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
O.K. I tried; clicked on 10/24/11 Installed Suite, next. It went through and shut down.
with clear.fi, than tried the following:
1. closed DVD drive with DVD; clear.fi comes up, kind of flashes, but without the usual option "resume" "restart", etc. on the bottom of the screen. After that, it kind of fades out to black screen and when the mouse is moved, clear.fi logo and X on to of screen reappear.
2.Computer, D:, click on "play with clear.fi", the exact same thing happens as above
3. click on clear.fi icon, go to video, devices, click DVD RW Drive (D:).....it recognizes the correct DVD and the options "resume", "restart", etc. are on the bottom of screen. When I click on i.e. restart, nothing happens. Only "exit" works.
4. The system restore still has the same choices....?
Need some more help, please!
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Got you.. Ok.

lets try to download a fresh copy of clear.fi then.. and see if installing the new copy will correct the issue.

you can download it from t he link below.

http://www.acer.co.uk/ac/en/GB/content/acer-clearfi

download the file, save it. then once fully downloaded open the file and run it to install it.

Once installed, restart the computer, and then test again. let me know what happens!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Stupid question first: after I clicked on "Download clear.fi client set up, do I:
Open / Save / Save as......What first? Does it matter?
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
The best thing to do..

Is to click the save arrow.. then choose save and run
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

O..K. clicked save; "Download clear.fi client et up" appeared....

Next:The Application_Acer_1.05.3000_W7x64_A.zip download has completed

(so far, so good, I suppose)

Then: I clicked "Open" .... The InstallShieldWiz has updated clear.fi to Version 1.05.3000
Now Folder = Application_Acer_.......clear.fi set up(Name) ....Application (Type)

When I click on clear.fi set up and then "open" the following window opens:

Do you want to completely remove the selected application and all its features?

Answered No Am I doing something wrong????

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
When it asked

answer yes!!

It will first remove the old software.. then install the new software..

let me know if you get stuck.. if you dont get stuck, make sure to restart the computer after its done.. And then test out clear.fi again
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
answered "yes" .......next message: Some clear.fi functions may ot work if you uninstall the clear.fi Client. You are advised to uninstall clear.fi before removing the client

Only option: OK

?????
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
hit ok..
let it continue.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Nothing happens....

Guess, I have to uninstall the existing clear.fi first? Hope, I can manage....any guidance, just in case, pls.
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
The program should have unistalled the clear.fi first.

So.. Start the downloaded program again from scratch.. What happens?

Does it try to install clear.fi now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Started from scratch........Got Folder Downloads: Application_Acer.....
Type: compressed (zipp...)
- right click to drop-down list = Open.......restore previous version......etc.
- clicked open; then get folder: clearfi setup
- clicked open again for this one, get the same message: Do you want to completely
remove......
- Yes
- Again, message: Some lear.fi functions........etc.
- OK
and nothing

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Btw. just noticed, that when I right-click the existing clear.fi icon on desktop, I get "restore previous versions" as well as a choice. Do you think, that might help? Or, I'm I confusing things?
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
That could help..

But it wont get us installed.. However.. it couldnt hurt to try..

click restore previous versions... and when it comes up.. double click one of the previous versions.. Will it start clear.fi now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Never mind, I tried, but "there are no previous versions"

What next?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What would happen, if I took a break and maybe continue later on or tomorrow even?
Am a little worried, since I "Accepted Answer" pre-maturely in the very beginning.
Sorry.
I'm currently in Europe, actually, and it's getting late and I have two little ones to take care of. Will you or somebody else still assist me even in a few hours?

Thanks.
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Apologies for the delay in getting back to you..

We can continue anytime you want.. (well, other then when im offline, or sleeping)

As long as you reply to me the same way you have been and dont start a new question, nothing would happen, You wouldnt be charged again.

And as far as working with me on this issue, theres only one fee, however long it takes. ( So its in my best interest to help you fiind the correct solution in as timely a manner as possible)

Message me when you can.. thanks1
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for that and for all your help so far. Maybe I get back to you in a few hours. What time is it where you are right now?
Anything, I could try in the meantime?

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Currently, Its 218 pm..

As far as steps in the meantime..

were still working on getting the clear.fi program installed again.

So, something you may want to check, is going to start, control panel, uninstall a program.

If acer clear.fi is still there.. click it and remove it

then.. run the file we downloaded again and try to get clear.fi to install..

If it installs.. test it out again.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There is two in the control panel:

1.clear.fi Publisher: CyberLink Corp. Installed on: 5/4/2011
2.clear.fi Client Publisher: Acer Incorporated Installed on 10/26/2011

So, you're in the EST timezone then.
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Ok.. Excellent.. ( and yes, im in eastern time zone)

I need you to remove both of the clear.fi programs you found

then, restart the computer, and then try to install the file we downloaded again..

It should install this time, and we should be ready to test out clear.fi
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Done! The following happend:
- clicked "Download clear.fi Client set up (#1 / orange on the link for download)
- Save
- completed; then clicked "Open Folder"
- is saved under "Downloads "Application_Acer_1.05.3000_......Type: compressed(zipp...) (have several already from earlier tries)
- right click & click "open", get: "clearfi setup" Type: File folder,
- click "open", then type changes from File folder to Application
- "Open"; Window=Acer asking for permission (Program Name: clear.fi Client; File Origin: downloaded fom Internet
- Yes
- InstallShield Wizard for clear.fi Client; clicked Next; License Agreement, clicked "I agree"; clicked Install.............installing............clicked "Finish"

Start - All programs - clear.fi; when I click on it, all I get is "Clear.fi Share Setting", click on that, get the same picture "Media Sharing Settings" where #3. of download asks to check both boxes
- check both boxes, click OK ----- That's it, that's all I get?!

What on earth am I missing?

Now, of course it's completely uninstalled, which worked perfectly, including the shortcut.....
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Ok.. It sounds like ... you went through the license agreement, and reinstalled it though..

So.. can you go to start, all programs and see if clear.fi is there.. if it is.. try to start it..

What happens?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I did that, see above. All I get is "clear.fi" and then "clear.fi Share setting", where I get to put a check mark in the box. That's it.

So, how to I start it?
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Ok. iinsert a dvd and see if it gives you the choice.

If not, right click it and see if you can run clear.fi
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, it goes straight to Windows Media Player it is, I believe and starts playing.

When I go to "Computer", where I had the choice before to click "Play with clear.fi", (remember?). No such choice there, anymore.

Right-click what exactly? The folder I get when I click Start, etc. ? As I said, all I get to do is put a check mark in the box...

No choice to "run" / "start" it?!
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
doesnt seem like its installed correctly then.. maybe that file we downloaded is broken

you could try dowloding a fresh copy from t his page

and also.. check out the tutorials at the bottom about setting it up.. It may show something we missed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That's the exact same link as earlier, correct? I've tried the same a couple of times already, with the exact same result....? But I'll be happy to try again, just have those saved Downloads "Application_acer_....... compressed (zipp....) several times listed already....
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
it is the same link as earlier.. Im guessing by your lack of response that it didnt change much?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, I haven't really tried anymore - getting very frustrated. Plus it was getting very late here.... Maybe, I'll have to take a break today since I have so many other things to take care of. Kind of wish, I would have never started this, at least, before I still could open it and use it for other things, like slideshows. Now, I don't have nothing at all....
If I try again, should I remove all these downloads "Application_acer-...." that were created, each time? Or does it matter? Maybe, I'm doing something wrong in "unpacking this "zip file", as the call it in the download, point #2. But there is not much else to click but "open" and it does get "unzipped", but I just get that clear.fi Share Setting afterwards, which is nothing else but checking the boxes and press OK. Then, as I said before, nothing else.
I know, it's in the middle of the night where you are and I hope, you're getting a good night's rest. As I said, don't really know, if I can spend another day just concentrating on this more or less. It's very time-consuming and I have so many other things to take care of.... But of course, through my own stupidity, my credit card was probably already charged.... Don't get me wrong, I definitely do want to get this thing working again like before. Anything, that can be done about the early charge? Thanks for listening and in advance for !our continued support,
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
I think our best bet at this point, to reduce the stress of the process. Would be for me to offer you a remote support session, we normally charge extra for remote. But since we have been working together on this for so long already.. Id be willing to do it for no extra charge just so we can get this working.

A remote session means i can connect to you, and your computer and work to fix this issue myself, by controlling you mouse cursor.. Its more hands on, and it allows me to manually solve the issue..

let me know when you have time to proceed.. I should be online for the next five days pretty much all day long.. So, send me a message when you have time to proceed..
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry, for my late reply, but as I said, I'm working on other important things and actually had to undo the system restore we did on 10/25, since I lost, and ultimatly fixed, other important documents. Thru the "undo", I got the clear.fi back - we had uninstalled it - but, basically, only the shortcut is back and it doesn't open anymore; in other words and to make a long story short, it's even worse. Before, I could at least access pix, just not use it to play DVD's. I'm not surprised though.
As for your offer; thank you very, very much. I will try to do it tomorrow, Monday. Will just get in touch with you to proceed. Hope that's alright? Thanks again, appreciate it!!!
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Thats perfectly fine.. take your time and get back to me on your timetable, Im here working with customers, even if your not here!!

Good luck to you in your endeavors till we reconnect.

D.Sandlin
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm sure you are very busy. Thanks again, I hope, you'll be able to fix this for me and thanks again. "Talk" to you as soon as I can.
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Good news is, If I cant fix it when I remote into your system, then your entitled to a refund!

So rest assured Ill do the best i can..

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. Have a great day. Hope, you're not snowed in....

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Not yet!!

Though we just moved to kentucky, so Im expecting a lot of snowfall this winter compared to Virginia Beach...

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Finally! I'm sorry, I haven't given you a chance to fix this problem in so long. I also did not dispute the charge because I haven't taken you up on your offer to try this remotely. Unfortunately, it's still there and hasn't magically disappeared.
I'm still in Europe and I have some important papers on there, which I cannot afford to loose (which nearly happened in one of our sessions). It is still exactly the same way it was, actually a little worse., Before, I could - and had - still pictures on it and could view them, just the DVD wasn't working... Anyways, I knew that was going to happen, when we uninstalled the clear.fi.
I would like to take you up on your offer, trying to fix it remotely!!! The only question I have is if I have to be present the entire time or what do you need exactly from my end? Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Did you receive the above message, since it looks like, "you're done with me". It's not fixed and I'd really appreciate it, if we could at least try the remote option one of these days. I know, I'm taking a long time, but remember, you assured me, that it was up to me....just not to open a new thread...
Thanks again.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
On 10/30/11 you wrote: Good news is, If I cant fix it when I remote into your system, then your entitled to a refund!
Yesterday, I wrote you 2 messages (which I'm not sure, you received), since I haven't gotten a reply.
I realize, I haven't taken you up on your offer to try to fix this problem remotely as of yet. Therefore, I also did not dispute the charge, at least not before I have given you this chance. Unfortunately, the problem hasn't magically disappeared.
I'm still in Europe and I have some important papers on there, which I cannot afford to loose (which nearly happened in one of our sessions).
I would really like to get this done, but I seem to be "closed out" from your end...despite the fact that I still don't have a working program. Looking forward to hearing from you again. Thanks in advance.