Freddy M.
Freddy M., Support Specialist
Experience:  Years of experience in the IT field and in customer support.
15852642

how can i set my registy key hklm install root to point to

how can i set my registy key hklm install root to point to the .net framework install location?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
Can you explain this a little more please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what information are you looking for?

i am running windows xp pro and when i try to use windows update or install from the internet i get a "set registry key hklm\software\microsoft\.netframework\installroot to point tothe .net framework install location" error msg.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
/

Ok download and install this then try your update again: Click Here

/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have already tried this and recieved a system error.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
/

What is the exact error you get?
What happens if you save it to the desktop and then right click on it and click on run as administrator?

/
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
when i tried running as administrator I recieve a login failure bad user name or password
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
Ok open the add/remove applet in the control panel from the start menu, do you see any .net, dot net, or net framework instances there? If you do please let me know which ones.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, there is a microsoft .Netframework 2.0 service pack 1
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
/

Ok please uninstall that from there and then restart your computer and try the download I gave you again. You can get back to me by going to justanswer.com and clicking on my questions.

/
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the installation is very slow, I will keep you informed as regards XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
/

That is normal take all the time you need.

/
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

FYI I reinstalled windows xp pro service pack 2 after replacing the hard drive. Everything was working flawlessly until I tried to install sevice pack 3. That's when the problem began. I have subsequently removed service pack 3 and have been trying to reslove this problem ever since.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
That could have been where the problem started, service pack 3 has some dot net fixes in it. Did the download install correctly?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
do you mean the initiall pack 3 download? or the current dot net download?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
The dot net download I gave you that was going slow.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is doing exactly what the other download did, i have a bout 6 green bars showing in the download progrees bar, nothing in the installation progress bar yet. If this goes like the previous attempts I should be getting a failure notice with some kind of number codes in a few more minute.

Q? Do you thing it would be better to just wipe the drive and start over with XP Pro service pack 2 installation?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
Depending on what problems sp3 gave you it could be easier to do a fresh sp2 install yes. When and if you get an error please give me the exact error including any numbers.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sorry, i had to step away for a minute to prep to be at work in 1 hour, no codes yet!

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
That's good so far then. Take your time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

okay it failed here's the response "download failed wit error code 0x800c005

OS Version = 5.1.26000, Platform 2, service pack 2

Os Description = Win Xp - x86 Professional Service Pack 2

enviormental details:

Command line = C:/b763ae17c0690aa7bf4c6f8f532123f47\\Setup.exe/x86/x64.ia64/web

TimeZone = PST

Initial LCID = 1033

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
OK do you have anything on the machine that you would need to save?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm sending an e-mail with the full files of the error message, do you have an e-mail address?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
Unfortunately no we are only allowed to have contact through this site. That error was what I needed though. It can be difficult and tedious to diagnose, so if you do not have anything to back up I would suggest reinstalling with sp2. If you do then please follow the steps here and then let me know the results: Click here (The error on that page means the same as the one you got).

Freddy M., Support Specialist
Experience: Years of experience in the IT field and in customer support.