Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Worked With The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

My desktop Dell is stuck in power save mode and I have tried

Customer Question

My desktop Dell is stuck in power save mode and I have tried everything suggested to get it back up. I have just a black screen and nothing is working...Help!
Category: Computer
Expert:  lifesaver replied 2 years ago.
Hi ,
Welcome to

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Please try this.

Turn on PC.

While the PC is on, disconnect the monitor power cord from the bottom of the monitor.

Hold the power button in monitor for 5 seconds. Reconnect the power cord. Turn the monitor on.

See if it helps.

Regards.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This did not work...I get a flash of Dell branding and right back to black screen and power is on yellow light...other moniter buttons say power save mode on, just like before.
Expert:  lifesaver replied 2 years ago.
Ok.

Repeat the procedure.

When you see the dell logo keep pressing f8 key.

DO you see advanced boot options?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Did it twice and the logo lasted a bit longer...but right back to black!
Expert:  lifesaver replied 2 years ago.

Remove both the pwer cable and VGA cable (the cable from computer to monitor)

Now just connect power cable and tur on monitor..

What does it say ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
VGA cable? 2 cables, big, one white and one blue? Which one?
Expert:  lifesaver replied 2 years ago.
Blue end connected to computer..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nothing but black still and still in power save mode.If I press any other button on monitor!
Expert:  lifesaver replied 2 years ago.
Strange.

What is the dell model ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dimension 4400.
Expert:  lifesaver replied 2 years ago.

Can you connect the monitor to a laptop or a different computer (if you have any) and check.

Also remove all the cables from the monitor.Just have the blue VGa cable connected to computer and power cable connected.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't have anything that I can connect too...I have a laptop...but my computer is ancient....I don't think there is anything I can do...now my phone line is not working!!!! I tried taking the (white) cable out and even that is too hard.
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer.com

My name is Dustin, And I am one of the experts who will assist you today!

You have a laptop?

Almpost all laptops, have a plugin where you can connect an exterrnal monitor, like the ones that desktop computers use. Part of identifying the issue, is going to be to verify that monitor actually works correctly..

I have another question..

when you turn on the dell dimension, on the tower portion itself.. Does the power stay on? Does it shut off..? Does it make noise like the fans are running and the insides of the computer are working?