Kevin, Computer Systems Analyst
Experience:  Microsoft Certified Professional (MCSA, MCP) Technician with over 20 years of PC experience.

The tab key fell off my asus laptop computer keyboard. How

Customer Question

The tab key fell off my asus laptop computer keyboard. How do i put it back on? Just positioning it and pressing down only gets the bottom half of it to stay on. the top part of the key does not connect when doing this. I have examined the key itself and the connector thing that is under the key cap and everything looks perfectly fine. It does not appear to be broken. Please help!
Category: Computer
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is Kevin - thank you for giving me the opportunity to help you with your computing question.

Can you tell me the model number of the laptop please?

Thank you!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I unfortunately do not have the box anymore but under the system information it says that it is ASUS Notebook K52F/K62F Series. I hope this helps.
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 years ago.

Thank you - assuming the key is not broken, it does take just a bit of pressure. Here is a key replacement video that shows how to re-attach a key to the K52 keyboard:

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Sorry it took me so long to respond. I watched the video and then tried to do as it said. I attempted it several times and it did not work. I wonder if there is something else wrong. Is there any other advice that you can offer me on this or what would be the next step in getting this problem fixed?

Expert:  Kevin replied 5 years ago.

Absolutely - it is difficult to tell exactly what isn't working without physically seeing it - it may be that part of the key won't attach or is damaged.

The next step I would take if the key won't attach is to replace just the single key - you can purchase a new keyboard, but it should not be necessary. The least expensive place I have found to purchase keys is Ebay - this link goes directly to a reseller that sells keys for your K52:

Ebay Asus Link