Travis B.
Travis B., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  7+ years of experience in troubleshooting computer problems. A+ Computer Maintenance and Repair
16569391

Windows 7 print spooler died, wont restart. I have already

Windows 7 print spooler died, won't restart. I have already been having trouble with my PC communication with my printers (a Lexmark and a HP) - even one connected via USB. Problem started after I had to re-install my HP wireless printer when I replaced my modem. Now I can't print at all. I need to fix print spooler and then fix Windows 7 device manager to correctly recognize my printers.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Travis B. replied 3 years ago.

Travis B. :

Customer:

hi

Customer:

This is confusing ... are you there?

Travis B. :

Yes, I am there.

Travis B. :

What have you all tried to get the print spooler to work?

Customer:

I went into the services window, clicked on Print Spooler and clicked start. A window comes up for a second saying windows is attempting to start the print spooler, then it goes away without telling me the result. But it isn't restarted because anything I attempt with the printers comes up with the print spooler error

Travis B. :

Please, go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services and make sure that Print Spooler service is set to Automatic and is Started.

Also, go to Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer and search for error events for Print Spooler. What is said there?

Also, you may want to try steps from here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324757 Also, try last suggestions on Lexmark from here: http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm (note that much of info on this link is the same as on the MSFT link above).

If still happening, this should empty the queue:

http://www.vistax64.com/vista-print-fax-scan/112525-printer-queue-stuck.html#post620269. This should empty the queue.

If this fails in normal mode, you might try these steps in Safe Mode (for steps on how to start the Safe Mode, see http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/123496-safe-mode.html).

If you noticed this happened after an update let me know,

Lastly, to Start the Print Spooler service by doing the following:

Start > Run > net start spooler > OK

This may allow your "stacked up" printing to print ... but likely it will not. Typically, Print Spooler service stops because a printer driver or a print job has become corrupted. If just starting the Spooler doesn't get things going again, the next step would be to clean out all pending print jobs.

1. Open a Command Prompt window (Start > Run > cmd > OK)

2. Type the following and press Enter after each line

net stop spooler

del "%windir%\system32\spool\Printers\*.*" [Type Y when prompted]

net start spooler

exit

If things still aren't working properly, clean out all the printer drivers and reinstall the printers. For cleaning directions: http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm

If you need anymore help please ask, otherwise have a goodnight and god bless! Smile

Travis B.

Customer:

I don't see a search feature in the error log

Travis B. :

Try Control + F

Customer:

nothing happens with control +F. are you saying that the proplem is with there being items in the queue? I have been trying to delete them, but they won't go away. I think there are multiple instances. at start up windows always attaches drive Z to my hp photosmart 4700 series

Travis B. :

Please try the other steps listed as well..your print spooler sseems to be corrupted this is hte only way to fix it.

Customer:

but the instructions are for XP - is it the same for win 7?

Travis B. :

Yes it this works on my end the file directory may be a little different but basiaclly the same.

Customer:

i get access denied when I type "net start spooler"

Travis B. :

Have to go to start menu and type in the search white bar at the bottom..type command prompt and then right-click and run as administrator.

Travis B. :

then do it

Customer:

i did it via the services window. so it appears to be running now. However, the problem will come back because I have not been able to keep my printer(s) working from this PC consistently. I've tried uninstalling and re-installing over and over again. So I don't consider my problem solved yet.

Customer:

a test page to the wireless HP worked. test page to lexmark didn't

Travis B. :

Lexmark you may need to reset that printer all together, have you done this..what is the model of the unit?

Customer:

5400

Customer:

I only attached the lexmark recently because of my problems with the wireless. and it had problems right away.

Travis B. :

Resetting to factory default settings

You can reset your printer to the original settings without using the printer menus.

Note:

Resetting to factory default settings will delete all printer settings you selected, including Speed Dial and Group

Dial numbers. If you want to print out those numbers before you reset the printer, see “Using the Phone Book” on

page 77.

1

Press , , and Start Color

at the same time.

Warning—Potential Damage:

Do not release the buttons until Language

appears on the display, indicating

that the printer has been reset.

2

Follow the prompts on the display to choose your language, country or region code, date, time, and fax number.

Notes:

To reenter your Speed Dial or Group Dial numbers using the computer, see “Customizing settings using the

Fax Setup Utility” on page 80.

To reenter your Speed Dial or Group Dial numbers using the control panel, see “Using the Phone Book” on

page 77.

Removing and reinstalling the software

If the printer is not functioning properly, or if a communications error message appears when you try to use the

printer, you may need to remove and reinstall the printer software.

1

Click Start 􀂌 Programs or All Programs 􀂌 Lexmark 5400 Series

.

2

Select Uninstall

.

3

Follow the instructions on the computer screen to remove the printer software.

4

Restart the computer before reinstalling the printer software.

5

Click Cancel

on all New Hardware Found screens.

6

Insert the CD, and then follow the instructions on the computer screen to reinstall the software.

Note:

If the install screen does not appear automatically after you restart your computer, click Start 􀂌 Run

, and then

type

D:\setup, where D

is the letter of your CD-ROM drive.

Also try the power reset, unplug for 30 mintus and turn off then plug back in and turn on.

Customer:

So I'm going to have to reboot ... I don't know if it will all be resolved. Ideally, I want all my printers to be connected on start up and not have drive letters pointing to printers

Travis B. :

I understand this should resolve your issues.

Customer:

Forgive me if I remain skeptical until I have a few consecutive days of no problems. It certainly makes the Mac look more appealing for a personal computer.

Customer:

The lexmark uninstall is taking very long and does not seem to be progressing

Travis B. :

I understand, once you accept I can assist you here free of charge for a few days as I do know this will take quite awhile to resolve. This question will then be moved to your "My Questions" location on here.

Thanks,

Travis B.

Customer:

OK, so I can look you up again if I continue to have problems? I was already taken to the paypal page before I even got into chat. seems like you already took my money - this is a bit confusing.

Travis B. :

Basically your deposit is debited when you ask a question then will be credited one your answer resolves your issue.

Travis b>

Customer:

OK, I'll see how it goes. Lexmark uninstall completed. I didn't remove all the other print devices. Do you think I still should? I was able to print to the HP wireless now.

Travis B. :

Yes, generally have to remove everything..and good!! glad you can print from the HP now1 :)

Customer:

OK, I'll remove them all - even Windows XPS document writer which I don't know anything about. I'll lose you once I reboot, so I guess I'll accept - and then see how things work out over the next few days.

Travis B. :

Alright, sounds good!

Travis B.

Expert:  Travis B. replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Travis B. replied 3 years ago.

Yes, generally have to remove everything..and good!! glad you can print from the HP now :)

Alright, sounds good!

Travis B.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I uninstalled both printers. I'm not bothering to re-install the Lexmark right now. After I reinstalled the HP Photosmart, the device manager still decided to attach it to the Z drive. This is crazy. Also, i am back to where I was after replacing my modem last month: the network insists that the printer is off-line and I have to manually step through the menu on the printer screen to have it try to connect. It is successful, but this should happen automatically. I don't have a solution until every time I boot up, the devices are properly connected an online automatically.
Expert:  Travis B. replied 3 years ago.
If you have to manually connect each time, that isn't right, generally these units have an option to remember the network and connect automatically.

If this isn't happening we may need to restore the printer unit back to factory settings, if that doesn't work I would advise to get the unit serviced if you have a warranty.

Travis B.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I still need to always manually connect my printer via the printer's menu screen or, occasionally, uninstall and reinstall my software. Both paths are annoying. This didn't happen before we had to replace our modem early in September.
Expert:  Travis B. replied 3 years ago.
It could be that your ISP modem needs to be ported and configured by your ISP as well as a router if you have one for allow the unit to see it and connect all the time, otherwise it could be trying and getting denied..therefore not staying or able to auto connect, I would honestly contact your ISP.

Travis B.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What I don't understand then is why does my print job go through when I manually connect, but then the printer's menu tells me it has timed out. It still prints fine after that.
What's interesting is that I installed the driver on my daughter's laptop this week and she doesn't have any problems. This seems weird.
I did notice that it takes my modem/router a long time to boot up. Maybe I should not turn on the printer until the modem appears completely ready.
Expert:  Travis B. replied 3 years ago.
Yes, that could be, also all the lights need to be on in order for it to connect properly. It could how its connecting to your modem/router. If you haven't done so already, please unplug your modem for 3-5 minutes..then plug back in and then do the router exactly the same. When doing this make sure the printer is off and unplugged.

so first turn off and unplug printer, then unplug modem, wait a minute then unplug router wait 3-5 minutes.

Then plug the printer in last.

Glad I coudl be of assistance.

Travis B.
Travis B., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: 7+ years of experience in troubleshooting computer problems. A+ Computer Maintenance and Repair
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'll try this next time I boot up. Modem/router are one unit - can't be unplugged separately.

Thanks, I'll contact you after I've tried this.
Expert:  Travis B. replied 3 years ago.

I understand, sounds good I will be here..yet tonight!!

Travis B.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I just need to test a solution, but that won't be until tomorrow after I restart my computer. The test requires a reboot, but I can't do that right now.
Expert:  Travis B. replied 3 years ago.
No problem I am glad to assist you, I will be here tomorrow as well. :) It's central time here..Wisconsin..so I will reply should you need assistance!