ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a computer technician.

why cant i download anything on my computer anymore

Customer Question

why cant i download anything on my computer anymore?
Category: Computer
Expert:  ChrisC replied 5 years ago.
Hi, my name is Chris and I'll be happy to help you today.

That's strange. Have you tried downloading the file in another browser? That would at least tell us whether or not it's a browser problem or if it's a Windows problem.

Get back to me with that info and we'll see what we can do to troubleshoot your issue.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i tried yahoo and google
Expert:  ChrisC replied 5 years ago.
What I would first suggest is clearing your cache and cookies and resetting Internet Explorer to default settings. Bear in mind that this will clear out any passwords for websites that you have saved and you will need to re-enter them the next time you visit those sites.

First, clear cache and cookies:

1. While you're inside Internet Explorer, hold down the Alt key and hit the T key on your keyboard. This will bring up your Tools menu. Click on Internet Options in the menu.

2. On the General Tab of Internet Options, under Browsing History click Delete.

3. Check the boxes that say "Temporary Internet Files" and "Cookies". You can uncheck everything else. Then click Delete.

At this point, go ahead and close your browser down, restart it, and then try to download something again. If it doesn't resolve the issue, you want to reset IE to the default settings, bring up the Internet Options box as you did before and then (bear in mind that you will need to re-enable any toolbars or add-ons after the reset):

1. Click on the Advanced Tab.

2. Click on the Reset Button in the lower right-hand corner.

Then try downloading again.

Give that a shot and let me know how it goes. And if this resolved your issue, plese remember to return to the question and click the Accept button for me.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
still working on doing what you said
Expert:  ChrisC replied 5 years ago.
Okay, no problem. Just update me when you're finished.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
still no luck....????
Expert:  ChrisC replied 5 years ago.
Okay, what I want you to do is try downloading from another browser.

Go to the following link and download Firefox:

Once it's installed, open it up and test it out.

Let me know if you're able to download in Firefox.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it wont let me download firefox either...??
Expert:  ChrisC replied 5 years ago.
Hmm, I'm starting to think you may have picked up some malware somewhere and it's keeping you from downloading.

Here's what I want you to try.

Restart your computer and go into Safe Mode. To do this, restart the machine and just as it is coming up--BEFORE you get to the Windows logo--repeatedly tap the F8 key. This should bring up a boot menu and you should see an option for Safe Mode with Networking. Choose that and it should put you into Safe Mode.

Once inside Safe Mode, open up IE and try to go to Click on Download Now and try to download the program.

If it lets you download it, then install it and run a full scan. If it finds anything, remove it, restart your machine, and go back into Windows regularly. Then try to download something as usual.

Let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry I was not able to download the malware download you suggested and I am not able to read my email from that computer either. I have been sick all week and cannot go upstairs to work on it anymore. I am hoping to be well by Monday and will get back to you then...sorry for the inconvenience...
Expert:  ChrisC replied 5 years ago.
Okay, sorry to hear you are not feeling well. I will look to hear back from you on Monday.