Frederick S., Computer Specialist
Experience:  Computer technician and founder of a home PC repair company.
33925084

My Yahoo mail is not working properly. What is going on?

My Yahoo email account is not working properly. Messages come in and I can read them, but I cannot reply to or forward a message. I cannot send a message; my Contacts list keeps disappearing. I cannot delete messages at all or move between messages without closing them.
I have run a scan on my computer and it reports no problems. I have signed out of and back into email, as well as shutting down and restarting the computer. When I sign back in, my email appears to be normal for a few minutes, then the same problems reappear.
What's going on????????

Hi!

These types of scams/spamming e-mails are becoming extremely common these days and is probably caused by someone else accessing your PC from a remote location.
E-mail addresses are being taken over/accessed by two main ways: (1) by users unknowingly having their password stolen from a fake login page or from web sites that users have signed up on with a password matching their e-mail password and (2) weak passwords that are easily guessed by computers constantly trying to gain access to an e-mail account. Accounts are also compromised if the user responds to any emails requesting personal details like the account password , answer to security questions, etc.

Spammers are desperate for 'fresh' accounts like yours because the chance that it will get flagged as 'spam' (at first) is very low, versus most spam that never makes it to a user's inbox.

Here is what you need to do right away: Please change your password right away to avoid having this occur in the future. If you need assistance with changing your password , please reply and let me know.

Once you change your password , the spammer who is accessing your account from a different location will no longer have access to it and you will be fine. However, please use a different password from now on for your e-mail versus any other web site, and use at least one uppercase letter, one lowercase letter, and a number, like Spectacular10, or Amazing1900. Avoid first/last names, pet names, DOB, anniversaries, etc. Those are much too common.

To restore your address book, please go to "CONTACTS" on Yahoo Mail and select "Deleted Contacts" on the left side and see if you can restore them there. (Older mailbox styles will see “View All Contacts” above the contacts list – if you see this, click on it and pick “Deleted Contacts” and restore them from there.)

Otherwise, if you don’t see them in either of the above mentioned locations, please CLICK HERE. (Link: http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/contacts/ab_restore.html)

Thank you!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I need help changing my password, please.

Certainly!

Please CLICK HERE to change your Yahoo Mail password

Thanks!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

OK, I've changed my password. Then, I tried looking for my contacts and all I get is a blank white screen--no prompts, nothing! Now what?

Here are those instructions.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When I try to open my Contact list, it won't bring up a screen. It's just blank; no prompts; nothing.

Can you please tell me what web browser you are using? Is it Internet Explorer? Firefox? Or are you not sure?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry, it's internet Explorer.

Let's see if we can do a reset of Internet Explorer to resolve that issue. Before doing that, though, go ahead and press CTRL + D on your keyboard to add this page to your Favorites, or click on Favorites > Add to Favorites to add this page to your Favorites that way so that you can easily return to it once you open up Internet Explorer again.

In Internet Explorer, please go to Tools > Internet Options. (If you don't see Tools, tap ALT, or hold ALT and while holding ALT, press T)

Click on the Advanced tab...

Click Reset, then Reset again.

Click OK out of those windows once it's complete and close all Internet Explorer windows…

and then open up Internet Explorer again.

Let me know if you're then able to view your Yahoo Contacts again. Thanks.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I can view my contact list now, but I still can't send, forward or reply to messages. When I try to send an email, it won't import a contact from my list.Also, I can't scroll up and down between messages and when I try to open one, it shows the heading of the one I want, but the text is a different one.

Hrm. Please try Firefox:
http://www.firefox.com/

Download/install it and try going to yahoo.com and checking your Mail

Does it work okay there?