Bernie
Bernie, Computer Specialist
Experience:  6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified
46068869

How do I restore the wireless connection to my Acer laptop

Customer Question

How do I restore the wireless connection to my Acer laptop?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer and thanks for asking your question.

What is the exact message you get (if any) when you try to connect to your network?

Also - how long ago did it stop working?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It says connected with limited access, but all the bars are green, yet i don't get green on the connection icon on the bar. the Acer management icon has a red bar on it.. It was working this morning before 5am until I had Norton Security run a disk scan.
Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
Thanks - since this started happening fairly recently, as a first step, lets try this, Click the Windows Start button > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore

Follow the prompts to pick a restore date and time before your issue occured. You may need to check the show more restore points box to see more dates to pick. You will not lose any files, please let me know the results.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Am trying the restore. OK, did restore. When I try to connect to my router network (linksys), I get this message: "Network Diagnostics cannot run because the Diagnostics Policy Service is not running." "Click to open service Control Manager."
Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
I see, and did you get an exact message at the end of the system restore process saying it successfully restored to the date that you picked, or that it was incomplete?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It did restore and the computer restarted. That's when I tried to connecta again.
Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
After the computer restarted, you should have gotten a message saying that it was successfully restored to the date you picked (or that it failed). Please try to pick another date and try the system restore again, and look for that window after you restart, I'll stand by.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Trida an earlier restore point and the computer is still scrolling " Please wait while you windows files and settings are being restored. System restore is initializing . . .
Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
It can take up to 20 minutes, I'll stand by, thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok, restored successfully to 3 days ago. Now when I try to connect, I get a Wizard error message: Failed to detect internet condutivity.
Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for trying those - lets try this next:

1. Click the Windows Start button > In the search box type devmgmt.msc and press ENTER > Double click Network Adapters

Go ahead and right click everything in that category and select uninstall, then confirm > Restart the computer and it will reinstall the device automatically, see if that fixes the issue.

If not, click the Windows Start button > type cmd in the search box > right click cmd from the search results, and select Run As Administrator > In the black window, type each of these commands one at a time, pressing ENTER after each:

netsh winsock reset
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /flushdns
netsh int ip reset netshlog.txt

Then restart and see if the issue is still there.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry, first step did not work. Tried typing in cmd and right clicking, but I don't see prompt to run As Administrator.
Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
Please see this picture for clarification:

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I do not have Run as Administrator. I have Open All Users; Explore All Users; Explore: Norton Security Suite; Properties; and Open Notebook in OneNote
Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
Are you the adminstrator of the computer?

Click the Windows Start button > In the box, type computer management > Right click computer management from the results and select Run As Administrator >

On the left expand Local Users and Groups > Groups > In the center pane, select Administrators > Does your user account name show there?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, I am the administrator. I get the same set of choices when I typed in computer management
Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
I'm sorry, try it this way, please double check:

Click the Windows Start button > In the box, type computer management and then left click it from the search results

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok, I will try that. I did get black box and typed in the steps you typed and entered after each line. I got requested operation failed needs elevation.

Will try you next instructions now.
Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
Yes, the black box instructions have to be run as the administrator.

Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am unable to follow your directions. I do not get the prompts that you state. I am in Computer Management which shows system tool storage service and applications; reliability and performance.
Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
Ok, thanks, please exit that.

At this point, this appears to be either an infection or damage to windows that occured.

Sometimes Norton will miss things - please take these steps:

I'd like to rule out any malware that might be doing this first, get the free Antimalwarebytes program, click here (or right click and save target/link as): http://bit.ly/aKS5hd

Once installed, open the program, press start trial, and do a full scan. After it's done, press ok, then click the show results button in the lower right.

On the next screen, check all the boxes and then press the remove selected button to remove any infections that it found.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am talking to you via my desktop computer. I cannot access the internet with my laptop, so how can I install and run a full scan with the online program you suggest? That doesn't make sense. I don't think you can help me. I'd rather work on it when I'm fresher and in a better mood. Thanks for your time, but I'm done. I know this has to be something very simple.
Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
I thought you had the laptop directly connected to the router - my apologies. Please connect your laptop directly to the router with an ethernet cable, then take those steps.

Also - I assume you were taking all the steps I posted earlier on the laptop. If not, go back and try them on the laptop.

Please take a break, and post back later. I'd like to think this is something simple as well.

Thanks,
Bernie

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
In the network Connections. both the area Connectn and VPN Connection are disabled. Actually the LocalArea Connection says network cable unplugged. To enable the VPN, it is asking for user name, password and Domain. I don;t know where to find thatinformation on my computer.
Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
Hi there,

These are not important. You don't use Local area or VPN, but you do use an item called Wireless Network Connection in there. Please find that item, right click it, and select diagnose. Let me know what that says after it's done.

Thanks