Cris
Cris, Support Specialist
Experience:  6 years of IT experience in both business and residential.
10156100

when i turn my laptop on it says windows is loading files then

Customer Question

when i turn my laptop on it says windows is loading files then it goes to an unexpected I/O error has occured. status is 0xc00000e9. How can i turn my computer on
Category: Computer
Expert:  Cris replied 2 years ago.

ITTechQ&A :

Hello, Thank you for contacting JA, I am Cris and will assist you with your question.

Customer:

hello

Customer:

my laptop is on and its in the windows boot manager. It says status:0xc00000e9. info: an unepected I/O error has occured. What do i do to get my computer running?

Customer:

is anyone there?

ITTechQ&A :

Hi, yes I am here.

ITTechQ&A :

I apologize there seemed to be small glitch in the chat session.

Customer:

did you get my question?

Customer:

ok

ITTechQ&A :

Yes, I did have you tried a startup repair or system restore point?

Customer:

yes i did and its not working

Customer:

it says enter to continue or esc for exit

ITTechQ&A :

Is the laptop using win7?

Customer:

yes

ITTechQ&A :

Start the laptop when the PC logo appears (Dell, Acer, HP,etc..) starting tapping the F8 key repeatedly.

ITTechQ&A :

Advanced options will appear.

Customer:

ok

ITTechQ&A :

Once you have advanced options up on the list scroll up to Repair my computer and hit enter.

Customer:

it wont let me do that it just keep going to windows is loading files and then the error

ITTechQ&A :

Did advanced options screen come up?

Customer:

no.

Customer:

it just keeps going to the windows is loading files and the error

ITTechQ&A :

Do you have any USB devices plugged in?

Customer:

my iphone

Customer:

i unpluged my iphone now and it still soesnt do anything

Customer:

still doesn't (sorry misspell)

ITTechQ&A :

Can you unplug the USB and try it again.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

it's going right to the windows is loading files again then it goes to a screen that says windows boot manager with the error. Should i hit continue or exit

ITTechQ&A :

OK, it sounds like your operating system is corrupted.

ITTechQ&A :

Could be because of a failing hard drive.

Customer:

what can i do?

ITTechQ&A :

I/O error usually reflect on the PC not being able to read the hard drive.

Customer:

is there anything i can do?

ITTechQ&A :

What you can do is try to reinstall your operating system. However that will wipe out all your data.

ITTechQ&A :

The best thing to do before attempting to reinstall the operating system is remove the hard drive and use a tool called IDE/SATA to USB adapter. That allows you to plug the hard drive into another PC and browse through the file structure to retrieve data.

Customer:

how do i do that

ITTechQ&A :

You will first need to purchase the adapter. The adapter is not really found in stores unless maybe a local computer store carries it. It can be purchased from a amazon for about $10-$15

ITTechQ&A :

If you don't feel comfortable doing the data recovery then I would recommend taking it to a local PC shop.

Customer:

ok i might just have to take it in then

ITTechQ&A :

At this point there is no possible way you will get into windows if you can get int repair my computer.

Re installing is your only option.

Customer:

ok thank you

ITTechQ&A :

You are very welcome. Clicking "Accept" for my time is greatly appreciated.

ITTechQ&A :

Please reply back to me rather then give any negative feedback.

Thank you.

Customer:

ok will do. Thank you again

Cris, Support Specialist
Experience: 6 years of IT experience in both business and residential.