Josh, Support Specialist
Experience:  5 years as Network Admin, 10+ years of IT support
50836188

I accidently deleted my printer, and need to reconnect it.

I accidently deleted my printer, and need to reconnect it. Can you help?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.

When did this happen?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It happened on Saturday. I had to reconnect my wireless printer, which I did--so I am able to access the internet--but when I tried to print a document if said my printer was offline. I attempted to delete the document, and accidently deleted my printer.

Thanks.
Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
Open System Restore by clicking the Start button , clicking All Programs, clicking Accessories, clicking System Tools, and then clicking System Restore

Select a date before the issue has occured

Your PC will restart, after the restart see if your printer is back

Note: Press CTRL+D to save the page as a favorite so you can return at anytime
Josh, Support Specialist
Experience: 5 years as Network Admin, 10+ years of IT support
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My printer is now available--but it is offline, and when my computer rebooted it made my wireless router no longer connected.

Optional Information:
Computer OS: Windows Vista
Browser: Firefox

Already Tried:
I followed Josh's instructions which made my printer reappear--but is still offline, and I cannot print. Also, when I tried to reconnect to the internet--the server was not found. I contacted my provider and they said that the wireless router is now not working.

Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
You will need to connect to your router again
Josh, Support Specialist
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My printer needs to reconnected--because we have a new network name. Can you help me reconnect?
Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
Make/model of printer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
HP Photosmart C4500 All-in-One Series
Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
Do you still have the CD that came with the printer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was told by the technician who reconnected the wireless router that all I had to do was connect to new network. The network was renamed when the router was re-installed.

I do have a CD that I think came with the printer.

I really need to print today. I work from home.
Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
Insert the CD.

It will walk you through the process. On one screen it will ask if the printer is wirelessly connected
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have inserted the CD in y computer
Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
OK you will need to launch CD if it does not automatically run
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It ran, and all it says "Simply connect the device and the software will automatically recognize the device. I hit "finish" yesterday, and the printer was still offline.
Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
There should be an option when installing with the CD that asks how the printer is connected. You will need to select Wirelessly
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I didn't get an option asking how the printer is connected when I installed the CD. Is there anything else I can try?
Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
Here are the direct steps from HP:

Method one: Install the software with the product CD
  1. Insert the product CD into the CD drive of the computer, and then wait a few seconds for the software installer to start.
    If the installer does not start automatically, follow these steps to start it:
    Click Start (

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
    View Full Image

Register Here
    ), click My Computer , and then double-click the CD drive.
    NOTE: If the User Account Control screen opens, click Allow to continue.
  2. Follow the on-screen instructions to start the installation.
    If prompted to choose the type of installation, review the following information:
    Recommended type Custom type
    Recommended , Full , or Easy Custom , Express , or Advanced
    For full use of all your product features : This installation provides full product functionality. HP also includes valuable software to help you get the most out of your product.

HP designed this type of installation to work for most users.
    A custom type of installation might be available for your product. This installation allows you to install the minimum software required or the preferred software. Use this type of installation only if you have one of the following reasons:

• The computer is low on hard disk space.
    • You attempted a recommended type of installation and received errors. (If errors occur during the recommended installation, fix them before trying a custom installation.)
    The Recommended type of installation allows you to take advantage of all your product features.
  3. When prompted to choose a connection type, select the Network type, not the USB type. The USB cable is for the installation procedure only. (The installer prompts you when to connect and disconnect the USB cable.)
    Figure 2: Choose a connection type

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
    View Full Image

Register Here
    Illustration of connection types
  4. Click Next .

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
    View Full Image

Register Here
    IMPORTANT : At this point, the installer searches, but does not find the product because it is not yet connected. This is expected behavior and does not indicate a problem with the setup. Click Next again to continue with the installation.
  5. Follow the on-screen instructions to finish installing the software.
Method two: Download and install the software from the HP Web site
Step-by-step instructions follow, but you can also watch a video preview of downloading the software and installing the product on the network.
Follow these steps to download the software, and then install it.
Video of downloading the software and installing the product on the wireless network
Watch the following video for a demonstration of downloading the software, and then installing the product on a wireless network.
NOTE: This video is for demonstration purposes only. The product and software in the video might differ from your product and available software.
If you have trouble viewing the video or to view the video in a different size, click here to play the video on YouTube.�?
Step one: Download the software
Many products have more than one driver option on the downloads page. Choices might include a Basic type, and Full Feature type. If both options are available, the following information might help you decide which driver to download.
Basic type Full Feature type

(Strongly Recommended)
HP does not recommend installing the basic driver unless you have one of the following reasons:

• You plan to use the All-in-One for printing only.
  • You plan to scan with Microsoft WIA drivers, Twain drivers, or third party scanning software.

The basic driver is smaller and downloads more quickly. However, it does not provide the software needed by most users to copy and fax from the computer, and to use all the scanning features of the product.
For full use of all your product features: This driver provides complete product functionality for printing, scanning, copying, and faxing.

HP also includes valuable software to help you get the most out of your product. The software varies by product , but here are some examples:

• HP Solution Center : This important tool allows you to control settings for printing, copying, and scanning. It also helps you with product maintenance, troubleshooting, software updates, and links to buy supplies.
  • Searchable help files tailored to your product
  • Image-editing software

NOTE: During the Full Feature installation process, you can choose a custom installation, where you select the specific software items that you want to install.
Follow these steps to download the software and driver for your product.
  1. Disconnect the USB cable from both the product and the computer (if you already connected it).
  2. Turn the product on.
  3. Browse to the Get Software and Drivers page: Get Software and Drivers
  4. Check the instructions on the page, and then click the Plus sign (+) next to the correct heading for additional instructions:
  5. Click the Plus sign (

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
    View Full Image

Register Here
    ) next to Driver , and then click the driver that you want to download. If you need help deciding, see the information in the previous table.
  6. Read through the minimum system requirements and additional instructions. You can also click View directions (

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
    View Full Image

Register Here
    ) for complete download instructions.
  7. Click Download . This option allows you to install the software at any time after the download completes.
  8. Click Save , and then browse to the location on your computer where you want to save the file.
  9. Click Save . The software downloads to your computer.
    Hint: Make a note of the place that you saved the file, in case you want to install it at a later time.
Step two: Install the software
Follow these steps to install the downloaded software.
  1. When the download is complete and you are ready to install the files, click Open Folder , and then click the downloaded file. The file name ends in .exe .
    NOTE: If you closed the Download Complete screen, browse to the folder where you saved the .exe file, and then click it.
  2. You can accept the default location to save the files. Click Next , and then wait while the installer extracts the files to prepare for installation.
  3. When the Install Wizard starts, follow the on-screen instructions to install the software.
    During a Full Feature installation, you choose what type of installation you want. The following information might help you decide which installation type to use.
    Typical (Recommended) Minimum

This type of installation is designed to work for most users.
    A minimum type of installation might be available for your product. This installation allows you to install the minimum software required or the preferred software.

Use this type of installation only if the computer is low on hard disk space or you attempted a recommended type of installation and received errors. (Try to fix any errors before starting a minimum installation.)

CAUTION: To avoid unintended loss of product functionality, read the description of each software component carefully during the installation process.
    HP recommends the Typical (Recommended) type of installation to get the most out of your product.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This is incredibly confusing, and I can't print the steps to refer to them. I think I will try to contact someone else for help.
Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
It is simple. When you insert the CD you will see this option

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

You must select it to find Wireless printer
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I must not have the correct CD--because that option does not appear when I insert the CD. Is it possible to talk--or do we have to do all our conversations on the computer?