Mark
Mark, Consultant
Experience:  Windows and Linux - Networking, Design, and Administration
31474244

How do I restore my Gateway netbook to the factory setting

How do I restore my Gateway netbook to the factory settings?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Mark replied 2 years ago.

Mark :

Hello

Mark :

Which model Gateway do you have?

Customer:

KAV60

Customer:

or N214?

Mark :

Either one of those could be it.

Mark :

Which one is on the machine?

Customer:

KAV60

Mark :

Ok great.

Mark :

1. Power on the machine.
2. At the white ACER BIOS screen, hold the “Alt” key and press the “F10” key simultaneously to start Acer eRecovery.
3. Once eRecovery has loaded, click “Restore to Factory Default Settings”
4. Click “OK” to continue.
5. From here, the eRecovery process will update all the data on the C: drive and restore a fully functional factory image (approximately 10 minutes).
6. Once eRecovery has run, press “OK” to reboot unit.

Mark :

That should put you back to factory settings, wiping off everything that has been placed on the computer.

Customer:

I tried that, but it displays a message "No bootable device--insert boot disk and press any key"

Mark :

Your hard drive has gone bad.

Mark :

You will need to contact customer service to have them replace it under warranty.

Mark :

Would you like the number?

Customer:

Yes, thank you.

Mark :

Please standby while I retrieve it.

Mark :

On your computer, can you locate the SNID number and tell me what it is?

Customer:

94629585316

Mark :

Oh, unfortunately your warranty expired last March.

Mark :

I will look into an alternative solution for you.

Customer:

Okay, thank you.....

Mark :

You're ineligible to purchase extended warranty support as well...

Mark :

I'm working on a solution for you.

Customer:

Okay, thanks.......I appreciate it!

Mark :

Did your netbook come with a recovery CD?

Customer:

No, I don't have a cd drive on it.

Customer:

But, I do have a portable drive.

Mark :

Well, that really limits our options on what we can do.

Customer:

Is there something that I can download to a USB flash drive and then insert into the netbook?

Mark :

To get this computer up and running, you'll need to inspect the hard drive, purchase an external DVD drive, order a replacement Recovery disc ($20, but you may be able to request it through e-mail), and possibly replace the hard drive.

Mark :

I don't think so, but I can look.

Customer:

Can I use the replacement recovery disc with my portable drive?

Mark :

Portable disc drive?

Mark :

Yes

Customer:

How do I inspect the hard drive?

Mark :

That will be perfect, and because your system didn't ship with a recovery CD you should be able to e-mail customer service to have them ship out a new one.

Mark :

Well, inspection is really limited to removing it and then reseating it.

Mark :

If the drive still doesn't work, it's completely dead and unrecoverable.

Mark :

You should be able to access the hard drive by removing a screw on the bottom of the netbook and then slide the drive out.

Mark :

I will double check this to be sure.

Mark :

Please stand by

Mark :

You can try to place the drive back and see if the computer boots.

Mark :

If it does not, then you will need to order a replacement hard drive and use the recovery disc.

Customer:

Oh. Do I need any special equipment to do that, such as ground wea? Also, how much does a replacement hard drive cost?

Mark :

Should only need a phillips screw driver and a replacement drive cost about $100 - really depending on the size that you want, they can range from $50 to over $200.

Mark :

Gateway no longer supports issuing missing recovery discs, so one would have to be ordered from their website here.

Mark :

Cost is $19.95 for a replacement disc, plus shipping.

Customer:

Okay. If I order a replacement drive, do I need to get the recovery disk also?

Mark :

Unfortunately yes.

Mark :

Gateway has the option to create a disc from Windows, but if Windows can't start then you have to order it.

Customer:

Okay

Customer:

Where do I purchase the replacement drive?

Mark :

I will give you a link to a list of available hard drives.

Customer:

Okay

Mark :

Here is a link of hard drives, all compatible.

Customer:

Okay, thank you. Can you tell me if the Gateway netbook that I have is LT2016u?

Mark :

Not a problem at all, and yes it is.

Customer:

Okay, thank you for all of your time and help!

Mark :

Anytime!

Mark :

Anything else I can help you with, or you can click Accept if happy.

Customer:

That was all. Thank you again, and have a great evening!

Mark, Consultant
Experience: Windows and Linux - Networking, Design, and Administration