Bernie
Bernie, Computer Specialist
Experience:  6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified

how to find and erase my recent downloads

Customer Question

Category: Computer
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer and thanks for asking your question.

For some reason I can't find a program named JP that speeds videos. Is that the full name of the program?

Also - how long ago did you install this (3 days ago for example), please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I downloaded a program "Free download"about 3 hours ago

and when I play the Dutch news or whatever streaming it comes in short bursts while I have not installed it. The full name has slipped my mind,but it shows a fat pig on the ad for buying the program;this might sound familiar. I already googled it up, an there exist forums with the same complaint.

Jan

Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Since this started happening fairly recently, as a first step, lets try this, Click the Windows Start button > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore

Follow the prompts to pick a restore date and time before your issue occured. You may need to check the show more restore points box to see more dates to pick. You will not lose any files, rather this will take your computer back to a time before the program was even installed, so it will indirectly remove it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Again my question?
I can't remember the full name, but it starts with JP and is agressively taking over from Windows media; there already exist forums with the same problem.
Jan

Optional Information:
Computer OS: Windows 7
Browser: IE
Programming Language: unknown probably"C"

Already Tried:
In windows7 tried to find name to uninstall,but does hide itself in"all programs" not to be found either The full name slipped my mind, but it starts with JPI downloaded it about 5 hours ago. and tries to sell for € 59 There are already forums on the internet with the same problem. Their logo is a fat pig.

Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry, but I still don't know which program this is, I can't find it.

However, there is a simple way to remove it:

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have the french version of windows7 and I tried before (I have this PresarioCQ57 laptop not yet 60 days,and is my first windows7 experience) to put up a point to restore to but my version does not have accessoires; accessoriers in French on the list of all programs so, although I have a virgin DvD in my inbuilt drive I have no point to return to.
The program eats up all my cache memory and I have a slight suspicion it might be a virus, although I had Norton do a full search and my laptop was declared clean.
When I find out the full name of the program I will let you know. Sorry about forgetting; being an old man restricts my short memory disturbingly.
Have a good night, and when I find out more I will let you know.
Kind regards Jan
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Jan, no problem, sorry I can't find it. But once we get to system restore it should fix this just fine (system restore will automatically remove the program). Try this:

Press the windows icon button in the lower left part of your screen, then in the search box there, type rstrui and press enter.

graphic

Once you do that, system restore will come up automatically.
Bernie, Computer Specialist
Experience: 6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Bernie K.

The instructions I followed don't work on all encodings of streaming videos. I've deleted all downloads until june, but the bug did not show up and still gives me blasts of a second or so instead of streaming video When the full name recurs to me I'll get back to you.For now I accepted to pay your fees. Obviously you have spent time for me.

Also I'll try microsoft,who over the internet kreeps into my computer, but that's quite expensive so I can wait a while. In the meantime if you happen to stumble upon the same problem of a cache memory flooding;also stopping Internet explorer working,please do contact my E-mail again.

Kind regards, Jan

Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jan, I'll work with you as much as I can here, no further charge.

You can actually view programs on the computer by the date they were installed. Try this:

Click the Windows Start button > Control Panel > Uninstall a Program link > In the upper right (you may need to maximize the window), look for a column button that says "Installed On" and click it > It will organize any installations to your computer by the date they were installed on > If this helps you find the program, you can uninstall it then (if it still shows).

Then, try 2 more things:

1. Open a browser and go to www.malwarebytes.org

At the top, go to products > Free antimalwarebytes > On that page you'll find the download button to get the program, then open and install it.

Once installed, open the program, press start trial, and do a full scan. After it's done, press ok, then click the show results button in the lower right.

On the next screen, check all the boxes and then press the remove selected button to remove any infections that it found.

2. As a test, lets try a free alternative browser called Firefox, go to this link: www.firefox.com

Click the green download button on that link, then run the download and install the browser.

Use the Firefox browser (double click the firefox icon on your desktop) to go to your Internet and see if that works faster now. If it does, I highly recommend making it your default browser. I use it as mine, and you can have both IE and Firefox on the computer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Bernie
I've done all that you instructed me to do. All I get now is: "get your activation code" which
sure is something else than a free trial.
Oh! they just came up with something:very surprising!

For your safety we have Quarantined a dangerous virus before it could hurt you.

Name:(core1) malwaref
File:c:\program files (x86)\ installshield installation information\{3b37422f--1a58-4138-ab02-0260dd9035c02c6}\setup.exe

I hope you can make more of it than me.
Regards,Jan
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Ok - this is an infeciton on the computer. Please make sure you downloaded the free version of antimalwarebytes - not the pro version. If you think you download the pro verison, try to uninstall the current program, and reinstall the free version this way:

Open a browser and go to www.malwarebytes.org

Once installed, open the program,and do a full scan. After it's done, press ok, then click the show results button in the lower right.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks,so something was wrong, but of course I have immediately tried if the sreaming was as it should be, which was not the case.
Here it is well past midnight so I go join my wife to sleep.I shall try again tomorrow.
Have a good evening Jan Engelsman
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
No problem Jan, I will talk to you tomorrow, keep me updated.

Thanks,
Bernie