APARAJITA
APARAJITA, IT Specialist
Experience:  Microsoft Certified Professional 15+ Yrs. Experience.
26351326

Can deleted text messages be recovered from a Blackberry Bold

Can deleted text messages be recovered from a Blackberry Bold 9700 ? Can the police revover them?
Category: Computer
Expert:  APARAJITA replied 2 years ago.

APARAJITA :

Hi

Customer:

I am in the military and I made a mistake. I used my government phone (Blackberry Bold 9700) for personal use. I always deleted my text messages. Can the police recover them/

Customer:

Are you there/

Customer:

hello?

Customer:

what do I do to talk to you?

APARAJITA :

yes i am here

Customer:

ok

APARAJITA :

looking into my knowledge base wether there is any way to recover the deleted messages

APARAJITA :

do u want them to be recovered or be 100% sure that its deleted for ever

Customer:

deleted forever!

APARAJITA :

okie give me a minute let me be 100% sure

Customer:

I am a cop. I just had a case where we tried to pull delted messages off some phones and couldnt....so I hope thats the same for blackberry.

APARAJITA :

yes but if there is a court order from a state court can retrieve records from your wireless carrier if the SMS messages are from a recent timeframe

Customer:

I am in Portugal, the phone was on the PT (Portuguese Telecom) network

APARAJITA :

okie

APARAJITA :

Do you have recent backup of the device on your PC? If so, was that backup made at such a time that those particular SMS messages would be in the backup

Customer:

I spoke to a IT rep who told me they do not maintain them, but if given a court order they would start recording from this point.

Customer:

No, I have never backed it up

APARAJITA :

yes

Customer:

yes ....what?

APARAJITA :

so if you have not backed it up in PC then donot worry there is no way to retrieve it till there is some sort of court order to your carrier

Customer:

The carrier told me they do not maintain text messages.....they can only start recording now and save future messages. So does that mean that my deleted messages are gone?

APARAJITA :

Yes as I told you that even through court order deleted messages can be retrieved for a particular time frame only

APARAJITA :

if your carieer did not record it then you are clean

Customer:

The carrier also told me that my phone (BB Bold 9700) does not save messages to the phone or SIM...can you verify that?

APARAJITA :

give me a minute

Customer:

thank you

APARAJITA :

okie I am giving you some steps how to save sms to sim

APARAJITA :

check if you have done this

Customer:

I dont have the phone anymore

APARAJITA :

1. On the Home screen or in a folder, click the Options icon.

2. Click SMS Text.

3. Set the Leave Messages On SIM Card field to Yes.

4. Press the Menu key.

5. Click Save.

After you finish: To stop storing SMS text messages on your SIM card, set the Leave Messages On SIM Card field to No. If you set this field to No, your SMS text messages are deleted from your SIM card.

APARAJITA :

do you remember saving the msgs in sim card

Customer:

But, I was the first user. It was new when I got it, and I never changes any settings to save messages

APARAJITA :

then you should not worry at all

APARAJITA :

your phone does not have any messages saved

Customer:

I hope you are right!

Customer:

Thank You

APARAJITA :

Is there anything else I may assist you

APARAJITA, IT Specialist
Experience: Microsoft Certified Professional 15+ Yrs. Experience.