Frederick S., Computer Specialist
Experience:  Computer technician and founder of a home PC repair company.
33925084

unable to download anything from internet explorer

Category: Computer
Expert:  Frederick S. replied 2 years ago.
Hi! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you with this and providing you with the information you need.

There are known issues right now with Internet Explorer and many web sites. The easiest way to get you back up and running would be to use an alternative web browser which is faster, more secure, and more reliable than Internet Explorer. You can use Firefox for free. Please download it from here: www.firefox.com

Once you’ve downloaded it, please open it, install it, then run the program. Go to web sites and try to download, and see if functionality is normal. If it is, that’s simply because many major web sites are still working out problems with updates to Internet Explorer 8 and the new Internet Explorer 9, so you can use Firefox for a few days/weeks until it works or you can just stick with Firefox indefinitely for all of your web browsing needs.

Let me know how it goes; thank you.

FS

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

unable to downlaod from the internet

What happens when you click download there?

FS
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i am unable to download file attachments xls doc ppt pfd, etc... from email and unable to download anything for the internet period
How long has this been going on for?

FS
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
a month and trying everything to degug. Ran backup and at the point of restoring to factory settings.
So you were unable to download Firefox? What happened when you clicked Download?

FS
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes.... i clicked download and got a menu that internet explorer has stopped working and closed the my IE7

Let's see if we can do a reset of Internet Explorer and set it as your default to resolve that issue. Before doing that, though, go ahead and press CTRL + D on your keyboard to add this page to your Favorites, or click on Favorites > Add to Favorites to add this page to your Favorites that way so that you can easily return to it once you open up Internet Explorer again.

Go to Start menu > Default Programs...

Pick Set your default programs

Click "Internet Explorer" on the left side then click Set this program as default

then OK out of that window...

Then, in Internet Explorer, please go to Tools > Internet Options. (If you don't see Tools, tap ALT, or hold ALT and while holding ALT, press T)

Click on the Advanced tab...

Click Reset, then Reset again.

Click OK out of those windows once it's complete and close all Internet Explorer windows…

and then open up Internet Explorer again.

Let me know if you're then able to get on the Internet and download without issue.. Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

still not working. This I have tried already several times

Do you have another PC you can use and a flash drive or blank CD?
FS
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no pc.... flash drives and cd's and dvd's are available
OK; that's fine. Let's try creating a new user profile on your PC. Here are the steps from Microsoft.com on how to do this (make sure you have bookmarked this page or know how to get back before continuing):

1. Open User Accounts by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking User Accounts and Family Safety, and then clicking User Accounts.

2. Click Manage another account. If you are prompted for an administrator password XXXXX confirmation, type the password XXXXX provide confirmation.

3. Click Create a new account.

4. Type the name you want to give the user account, select ADMINISTRATOR as the account type, and then click Create Account.

Once that's done, please go to Start menu --> Log Off. Then, log on to that newly created user account and try to launch Internet Explorer and see if it still crashes.

If it does not crash, there is a setting within your own user profile that is corrupting the program somehow. If it DOES crash, even with the new profile, that's a system problem with Internet Explorer and nothing we can do will fix it.

You'll need to go somewhere like a library, friend or family member's home, and bring a flash drive or blank CD (flash drives are much easier) then go to

www.firefox.com

and select Download Firefox and save it onto that flash drive or blank CD, then open the flash drive on your computer and install the program and you'll be able to use Firefox without issue since it's not related to Internet Explorer at all.

Hope that helps; thank you.

FS
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok... i did what you said.

I created another admistration user account and opened it.

yahoo toolbar was allowed when block appeared.

i went to firfox and started the download and i tried to install it. It started to work then was unable to download / finish do to a corupt file.

I then thought maybe yahoo was corupt so i deleted the user and created another.

i downloaded firefox and ran it without issue.

i opened my work email and was able to download xls files.

success...yahoo!!!!

Now.... i would like to find and delete the corupt file so i can use IE

OK; so you were able to use Firefox on both user accounts, and you were able to use Internet Explorer on the other user account but not your primary one that you have been using?

FS
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
this user account i'm using now does not allow me to download anything. the new user account does. I need to go to the other user account and try IE and get back to you.
OK; sounds good.

FS
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i can't download firefox using this account (original)
You shouldn't have to download it; you should just be able to go to Start menu --> All Programs --> Firefox --> Firefox and run it from there... does that work or no?

If it does, then you can just use Firefox ... If it does not, then you will have to consider transferring your files over to that other user account (copy them from one account in C:\Users to the other account in C:\Users... Desktop, Documents, Pictures, Downloads, Videos, etc.) since it's not really possible to remove whatever corruption there is from Internet Explorer with just one account.

Let me know if you have further questions. I am unfortunately feeling a bit unwell and will need to depart soon as it is 1:30AM here in Texas/USA. Thank you.

FS
Frederick S., Computer Specialist
Experience: Computer technician and founder of a home PC repair company.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
firefox works with the original user. i guess i'll have to change (away from IE). hope you get better soon.
Thank you! I think it's a cold (hopefully not the flu). Firefox is really a great web browser and is much faster than Internet Explorer. They also have quite a few add-ons. If you don't have the toolbars on top that you're used to (like the one that says File, Edit, View, etc), you can enable them like so -

Please hold ALT on your keyboard in Firefox... then while holding ALT, press the letter V. This will expand the View menu (otherwise, you can just tap ALT and select the "View" menu in the top left). Please select Toolbars > and one at a time, pick Menu Bar, then Bookmarks Bar.

You can check out all of their great add-ons here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/

You definitely should get "Adblock Plus" to block annoying advertisements and speed up page loading. There are plenty more there, too.

Thank you for the Accept. I'm off now.

FS