Jins M. N.
Jins M. N., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Qualified Computer Professional - 12+ years experience. Expert in Computer Hardware & Graphic Design

I am unable to capture VHS composite video using Pinnacle Studio

I am unable to capture VHS composite video using Pinnacle Studio 15. I often cannot close the Pinnacle software- my computer locks up with nothing showing in the device manager. I am using Windows 7 and my computer exceeds all of your hardware requirements. I have tried re-downloading the Pinnacle software and I have tried upping the Set Priority to Above Normal and High. I have downloaded the latest level driver for my video NVIDIA GeForce 210. Nothing works. I have been trying to get this going for the past TWO MONTHS. I have been unable to contact anyone interested in helping me. Your website does not work and I just go 'round and 'round. PLEASE HELP!!
Category: Computer
Expert:  TVGUY replied 2 years ago.

TVGUY :

Hello. I am available to try to help you with your Pinnacle Studio 15 capture issues.

Customer:

Great. I have everything set up to demonstrate the problem.

TVGUY :

Hello. I am available to try and help you with your Pinnacle Studio 15 capture issues. Are you there?

Customer:

Hello- yes, I am here.

TVGUY :

If you are there - please respond 'Yes'

Customer:

Yes

Customer:

Are you there?

TVGUY :

I would really like to help you today. How can I help you with your Pinnacle Studio 15 capture issues?

Customer:

OK- did you read my note? I am unable to capture VHS composite video on Pinnacle 15.

TVGUY :

Ok. I think that you are not there. I will switch to Q/A mode and you can get back to us when you become available. Thank you for using JUST ANSWER!

Expert:  TVGUY replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  TVGUY replied 2 years ago.

I am very sorry with Chat. I am having a technical difficulty and I did not see your input.

Yes I read your note. Would you like to continue through this method?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi- what' s happening?
Expert:  TVGUY replied 2 years ago.

Hi There. I am sorry for the problems with the Chat window. We are having some technical difficulties.

I can tell you have had quite a bit of problems using the VHS capture on pinnacle studio.

Lets go over some basics:

Can you tell me if you are definetly seeing a valid video signal?

How long can you capture before the crash?

Can you capture at all without crashing, even for a few seconds?

Have you seen the message - no valid video input signal?

You said you have the latest requirements met. Thanks!

How about things like -REAL TIME VIRUS SCANNING?

Have you tried to turn off your RTVS during your testing?

Have you run the Direct X Diagnostic tools?

Can you tell me if this happens after a fresh reboot, before you start email, browsing the web, playing in Camtasia, or any other programs?

Do you use 2 monitors>?

What about your screen resolution? Have you tried lowering it to some low rate like 800x600? just to test?

Ok please let me know if you need help with these questions. I am standing by for a few minutes hoping you will answer quickly.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK- I tried changing the screen resolution to 800 x 600. No change. I have put it back to normal.
Expert:  TVGUY replied 2 years ago.

Please respond to the rest of my questions, even if the answer is quick. Yes/No.

Also - you said you are using a VHS deck - how is it connected? Are you using Pinnacle or Dazzle Hardware?

There are some settings for these so I need to know.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi- I am using the Pinnacle analog to USP adapter.

Expert:  TVGUY replied 2 years ago.

Thank you.

Do you have antivirus on your PC? Is it running. Please stop the Anti-virus "real time protection" - while you try a quick capture test.

I am looking up your profile settings for the analog to USB adaptor and I will need a couple of minutes.

Expert:  TVGUY replied 2 years ago.

When you play analog video through a USB adaptor, sometimes Pinnacle will not understand the signal lock because of the nature of the composite video signal. In order to lock the video for these players, you must start playing the tape BEFORE you enter the capture tool, or select the capture utility. This is important.

Also - if you have real time anti-virus, like McAfee, Norton/Symantec, MalwareBytes, etc - we strongly recommend you disable that WHILE YOU CAPTURE because video conversion takes CPU time and it is a real-time process.

If you do NOT SEE A VIDEO SIGNAL then there is something wrong with your capture device and we should find some time to test it. In this case you do not want to accept my answer.

However, If this answer is helpful to you please let us know by ACCEPTING this answer and giving us an indication that the problem is solved.

Thank you for your time.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry- I got into a telephone conversation with an old friend. I am using AVG anti-virus protection. It only operates at scheduled intervals and is not running when the problem is occuring. I do see a valid video signal on my monitor.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I do have the tape running before I click 'Start Capture'. There is about a 10 second delay before the capture begins. It is at that point the image 'freezes'.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi- are you still there?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi- it's getting late- we've been holding this conversation for five hours. I'll check if you have come up with an answer tomorrow. I should mention that Pinnacle is impossible to connect with by telephone- they have a voice system that goes nowhere. There is no way you can connect with a human. Their website is a monster- it just goes 'round and 'round. I keep finding myself back at the begining where they ask for my login. There seems to be no way to get to the site where one can re-download the Pinnacle 15 software. If you can help me to that re-load site, it might be helpful to re-download again.

Peter

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, welcome to justanswer.. I am Jins here to assist you. Please click here and download the revo uninstaller program. You only need to download its freeware version. Install revo and launch the program. You can see all the programs installed on your system listed in revo. Select any instance of Pinnacle Studio and remove it with the help of revo.

Restart your computer.

Then click here and download CCleaner program. It is a freeware program to clean system registry. Install ccleaner and launch it. Click on the registry icon and click on Scan for issues button. After scan complete, click on Fix selected issues button.

Then please activate the builtin administrator account of your windows 7.

First you’ll need to open a command prompt in administrator mode by right-clicking and choosing “Run as administrator” (Type cmd in the start menu search text box, right click on the cmd listed under programs list and select run as administrator)

image

Now type the following command:

net user administrator /active:yes

image

You should see a message that the command completed successfully. Log out, and you’ll now see the Administrator account as a choice.

image

Click on and login as Administrator. Re-install pinnacle studio. Restart the machine and try to capture a VHS composite video. I hope everything is okay now.

Regards
Jins

Please ACCEPT My Solution If It Helped ..

POSITIVE Feedback And A BONUS Are Always Appreciated ..

PLEASE CONTACT ME BEFORE LEAVING A NEGATIVE FEEDBACK

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Please send me the link to enable me to re-download my Pinnacle Ultimate Studio 15 software.
Thanks, Peter
Don't you have the installation disk ? Click here to open Studio 15 Ulimate download page. If You already purchased a Download version of Studio and need some help on re-downloading, click here

For other contact options Click here.

Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello- I have followed your instructions- thank you. XXXXX have been unable to successfully re-download the Pinnacle software. The first attempt failed- I was trying to load the program to an external hard drive. My second attempt was to download to another computer using Microsoft XT. This also failed. I am now attempting to down load to the original Windows 7 computer. As the download takes a long time (about 6 hours) I should be able to tell you if this attempt was successful tomorrow. Perhaps I should obtain a DVD version- is there a way to get credit for the money already spent?

Thanks, Peter

Please contact pinnalce and they can ship a DVD version to you.

Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello- my problem seems to be resolved. After the third download attempt (each one takes
about 10 hours) I received most of the parts of the program. I did receive one error
message:
"PinnacleStudio_Upgrade-All-to-Ultimate_V15Part-1-of-2.exe is not commonly downloaded
and could harm your computer"
I ignored this message, however the software did not install automatically. I found that
the loader assist download (Akai (?)) did not work. I opened the
list of software modules and found one that started the install process. This worked and
I now have a useable program. One problem remains, however. I cannot have any other
devices (external drives) on my USB bus. Even an inactive device will prevent the
'Import' software from running. As with my original complaint, the video image 'freezes'.
In this case, the option to select where the imported file is to be located is misleading.
It can only go on an internal drive. This could be a problem with my hardware or a
limitation of the USB 2.0 ports I am using.
I have yet to try the 'rendering' process. I assume I will have to power the computer
down, remove the Pinnacle 710 box's USB plug, plug in an exernal drive, then power up
again.

I hope this is helpful to you.
Yea, it seems a hardware related issue. Try to change the USB ports and remove/replug pinnacle box. If it not works, make sure the pinnacle box is detecting on another computer.

Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello- How do I get rid of the 'Administrator' account button that now appears on my screen?

Peter

Use the following command on the command window:

net user administrator /active:no

Jins M. N., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Qualified Computer Professional - 12+ years experience. Expert in Computer Hardware & Graphic Design
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for all the help.

Peter

Hi Peter, Thanks a lot for the accept, bonus and the good words. Remember justanswer, when you need any assistance again. Now let me file this question as closed.

Regards
Jins