Rojus Alappat
Rojus Alappat, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  5+ Years of Experience as System Admin.
50059793

my laptop wont activate windows xp

Customer Question

my laptop wont activate windows xp
Category: Computer
Expert:  Rojus Alappat replied 2 years ago.

Rojus Alappat :

Hi... Welcome to Just Answer Support...
I am Rojus... Hope I can assist you to solve this issue...

Rojus Alappat :

May I know how did you try to activate windows ?

Rojus Alappat :

Was it through net or over phone ?

Rojus Alappat :

kindly go through the steps to activate windows

Rojus Alappat :

Here are some time-tested tips that will get you through the mandatory process in five minutes or less.

Bring up Activation

If Windows isn’t already prompting you to activate your software, or if you’re unsure if you need to, you can easily bring up the activation wizard by going to Start, Run, and running oobe/msoobe /a. It’s okay to run this command if Windows is already activated, too, so don’t worry about it undoing what may already be complete.

Try Internet Activation First

If you have an internet connection when activating Windows, attempt to use the online route first. In the Windows Product Activation Wizard, choose “Yes, lets activate Windows over the internet now”, followed by “No, do not register with Microsoft”. You may receive a friendly “Thank you!” and your copy of Windows will be good to go.

If internet activation fails and the Wizard complains about “too many activations” or an “incorrect product key”, you still have the option of calling Microsoft’s toll free number to activate Windows. As long as the Wizard doesn’t report “invalid product key,” options are still open. An “invalid” (not “incorrect,” mind you) key is one reported or detected as pirated, so you’ll have to find some other way to make your software go.

Phone Activation

Activating Windows via phone is about as enjoyable as a trip to the dentist, but knowing exactly which buttons to push and the right words to say can help cut your time in half and get you the necessary code.

If your online activation from above failed, click the Telephone button to generate an Installation ID, which you’ll read off to a customer service representative shortly. Call the number for your appropriate country, and you’ll enter into a phone menu system which would like nothing more than for you to activate by reading the numbers onscreen. The software behind the menu, however, does the same checking as the online activation method — meaning if your online activation failed, so too will the automated phone activation. Press 0 on the phone keypad when asked if you are calling to activate Windows XP (the first opportunity you are prompted for input). Like many newer phone menus, it will respond “I see that you’d like to transfer to a customer service representative”, and subsequently try to convince you to go back to the automated system. Ignore the pre-recorded woman’s somewhat rude request to go back, and press 1 to to talk to a human.

After a short delay and the distinct possibility of listening to some poorly chosen music, a representative will ask for either the first six digits of your Installation ID, or the full set. (The first six digits of the Installation ID are the only real keys to generating a Confirmation ID, however the reps more often than not ask you to read off the rest of the group. The rest of the numbers are encoded values detailing some very basic hardware details about your computer.)

If asked “Is this the first time you’re activating Windows?”, say yes. If you say no, the representative will ask for an explanation as to why you’re re-activating Windows.

If asked “Did you purchase the software from a retail store?”, say “It came pre-installed with my computer.”

As a final time-kill (their system sometimes takes a minute to generate Confirmation IDs on days with a particularly heavy load), you may be asked for your Product Key (Windows serial number).

After you’ve given them the necessary information, the representative will read the Confirmation ID to you, which you can simply type into the provided fields. Using these methods, it takes about 4 minutes to activate Windows on average.

Rojus Alappat :

Hope this will help you to solve the issue...

Rojus Alappat :

Kindly let me know if you need further assistance...

Rojus Alappat :
Customer :

i have tried that more than once no go

Customer :

Windows XP came installed worked for awhile but quit.

Rojus Alappat :

have you tried to activate over phone /

Customer :

Yes it said the were ok but the couldnt activate. I have taken it to the place i bought it the guy told me to go thisa way

Rojus Alappat :

have you tried using net connection ?

Customer :

isnt that what Im doing

Rojus Alappat :

may i know what was the error message comes then ?

Rojus Alappat :

I will provide all the methods for activating windows...

Rojus Alappat :

It will work defenitely... Kindly go through the following...

Rojus Alappat :

Activation methods

You can activate your copy of Windows XP by using any one of the following methods:

• Activate Windows XP by using the Internet

If you use this method, the Windows Product Activation wizard establishes a connection to the activation server, sends your installation ID, and then processes the activation request.

• Activate Windows XP by using your modem

If you have a modem but you do not have an Internet connection, the wizard detects your modem and establishes a connection to the activation server through your phone line.

• Activate Windows XP by phone

If you do not have a modem or an Internet connection, you can activate Windows XP by calling a Microsoft customer service representative. The Activation Wizard displays the toll free number that you can dial.

The following sections in this article describe how to use each of these methods.

How to activate Windows XP by using the Internet

To activate Windows XP by using an Internet connection, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Activate Windows.

Or, click the Windows Activation icon in the notification area.

2. Click Yes, let's activate Windows over the Internet now.

3. Click Read the Windows Product Activation Privacy Statement, click Back, and then click Next.

4. Use one of the following methods:

• If you want to register and activate Windows at the same time, click Yes, I want to register and activate Windows at the same time, click Read the Windows Registration Privacy Statement, click Back, click Next, type your contact information in the appropriate boxes in the registration form, and then click Next. An asterisk (*) appears next to required information.

• If you only want to activate Windows, click No, I don't want to register now; let's just activate Windows, and then click Next.

The wizard establishes a connection with an activation server, and then processes the activation request.

5. When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK:
    You have successfully activated your copy of Windows.

How to Activate Windows XP by Using a Modem

To activate Windows XP by using your modem, follow the steps in this section.

Note The following steps are the same steps that are used to activate Windows over the Internet in the "How to activate Windows XP by using the Internet" section. If you have an Internet connection and you want to activate over a modem, disconnect your Internet connection before you follow these steps.

4. Use one of the following methods:

How to activate Windows XP by phone

To contact a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Windows by phone, follow these steps:

2. Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now.

4. Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click Next.

Note The number appears now and differs based on the location that you select.

5. When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK.

Rojus Alappat :

may be you have missed something in between that was why the error comes...

Rojus Alappat :
Customer :

I'm using a different comp, but the other on says " this copy of windows mus be activated with ms before you can log on

Rojus Alappat :

yea that message will come

Rojus Alappat :

you will have to activate it then

Customer :

when I tried to to put in code like they asked but they won't accept it

Rojus Alappat :

make sure that you have put 'o' instead of '0' or 'I' instead of '1' and vice versa

Rojus Alappat :

sorry... make sure that you have never put 'o' instead of '0' or 'I' instead of '1' and vice versa

Rojus Alappat :

may be you have mistyped the key

Rojus Alappat :

or it will never reject

Rojus Alappat :
Customer :

thias is the code PP6JV 72D6C WTCMB R84TW CPFRB STILL NO GO

Experience: 5+ Years of Experience as System Admin.
Do you have team viewer there ?
If no, kindly download and install it...

I will give ytou the link if wanted...

http://www.teamviewer.com/hi/index.aspx

Once you installed, you will get a 9 digit ID and password...
Kindly send that to me, so that I can remotely access your system and make it clear...

Kindly let me know once you have done...
Thanks for the accept... Kindly leave a positive feedback too... Any bonus will be greatly appreciated... You can contact me through Just Answer in the future too for any assistance... Here is my Just Answer profile link...

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-rojusalappat/