Dr-Obbins
Dr-Obbins, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  Very experienced Information Technology professional. Business owner and computer enthusiast.
59816409

I have a gateway W340UI laptop. It came with Windows Vista.

I have a gateway W340UI laptop. It came with Windows Vista. I have a desktop with Windows XP. I changed the the os on the laptop to Windows XP adn it did not load the drivers for the enthernet controller, PCI Device, SM Bus Controller and THe Video Controller. Where can I find these drivers to download adn then install on the laptop/
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dr-Obbins replied 2 years ago.

Dr-Obbins :

Hi! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help! Are you available for chat?

Customer:

yes

Dr-Obbins :

Great! One moment while I try to locate the drivers.

Customer:

Sure

Dr-Obbins :

Is that the correct model number for you computer? Does it display that on the front by chance?

Customer:

On a sticker on the bottom

Dr-Obbins :

Alright, I seem to be having trouble locating it, that's why I'm asking.

Dr-Obbins :

I'll keep looking.

Customer:

There is another sticker that states the model # XXXXX XXXXX

Dr-Obbins :

That's what I'm looking for, thanks!

Customer:

I can locate drivers from gateway but they say for Vista. Can not locate drivers for XP

Dr-Obbins :

I seem to be having the same problem now, let me keep looking.

Customer:

Thank you

Dr-Obbins :

While you're waiting, I would like to see if this works. Please try download, installing and running the following program to locate the drivers.
http://pc-wizard.en.softonic.com/

Dr-Obbins :

Alright, never mind on that, this should take care of your problem, take a look at the next site!
http://robbray.com/gateway-ml3109-drivers-for-windows-xp/

Customer:

I will try this adn let you know

Dr-Obbins :

Sounds good, thanks!

Dr-Obbins :

How is it going so far? I must run soon, sorry.

Dr-Obbins :

Please let me know how it is going?

Customer:

I am trying to install the Omega ATI Radeon 200M graphics file adn it says it requires .NET Framework version 2.0

Dr-Obbins :

Alright, you can download that from the following link.
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=19

Customer:

Will do. still working on it. I will keep you updated

Dr-Obbins :

No problem, thanks. I will be in and out.

Customer:

I am still having trouble. I did get the wireless lan driver adn utility installed but I can not get it to connect. At this time I am still having trouble with the ethernet controller and SM Bus Controller. From the link you sent..the following are not installing:

Customer:

Marvell 10/100 network

Customer:

USB2.0 and SMBus

Customer:

Realtek 8185L 802.11b/g network...I went it realtek and got a updated driver and got the driver and utility to install.....can not connect wireless

Customer:

If I can get the wireless to connect to my router, I think I can correct the rest.

Dr-Obbins :

What errors are you receiving when they will not install? Especially the Marvell network, I think connecting the internet by ethernet would be easiest.

Customer:

Marvell - When I unzippied the the file. It took me to ATI software. It pulls up installshield...then I get the message..."Setup did not find a driver compatible with your hardware or operating system".

Dr-Obbins :

Try getting the ethernet to work by doing the following: control panel>Network & internet>network connections>right click one and see if you can "enable." From there I would like to see if we can locate the remainder of the drivers through windows possibly?

Customer:

It is not giving me any to enable

Customer:

Realtek wirless lan driver and ultilty is installed. I can not get this to pick up my wifi. if I could do that and get conncted I think I can get the rest corrected

Dr-Obbins :

Do you see any wireless networks at all? Did you restart after installing the driver?

Customer:

I have one through my router for the desktop. I did restart

Dr-Obbins :

You can see one wireless network? I just want to confirm that it is working.

Customer:

In my tray at the bottom, I have an icon for realtek and when I hover over the icon it gives me the message...no Realtek Wireless Lan

Dr-Obbins :

Alright, please go into the device manager by going to START and typing devmgmt.msc into the search box and pressing enter. Then tell me what you see under networking or wireless.

Customer:

I do not have network or wireless. I have netowk adapters

Dr-Obbins :

What is under network adapters?

Customer:

easy tether. I have a droid adn I tried downloading an app that would allow me to connect that way. can not get that to work either

Dr-Obbins :

There are no other devices under there?

Dr-Obbins :

How about any unknown devices, what other ! ? or X do you see?

Customer:

no. undwr mosems.it shows the agere systems hda modem

Dr-Obbins :

The modem is for a dial-up connection. So you don't see any other devices missing a driver?

Customer:

I have a section called other devices with a yellow ? mark. in that section I have two lines for ethernet controllers and one for the SM BUS controller

Dr-Obbins :

Alright, do you happen to know off hand the model of your ethernet driver? Would you be able to find it in the laptop paperwork?

Customer:

Unfortunately no. I don't know where the paperwork. can I locate it on gateway website?

Dr-Obbins :

Most likely not, you may be able to call and get the model number, but that doesn't always work either. You may want to try some of the drivers on the following site to see if they will work.
http://drp.su/drivers/notebooks/?v=Gateway&m=ML3109&id=191&l=en

Customer:

ok, I will try them and get back to you. Thank you

Dr-Obbins :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX hopefully it helps!

Customer:

it is a torrent 2 exe. and it has a tracker and it will not connect with the tracker...not working

Customer:

Is there a way I can connect the laptop to the desktop and transfer the drivers that way?

Dr-Obbins :

If you have a flash drive you could transfer them from one computer to another, or using a CD burner as well. How did you get the other files onto the computer?

Customer:

I have a removable hard drive.

Dr-Obbins, Information Systems Manager
Experience: Very experienced Information Technology professional. Business owner and computer enthusiast.