Brandon M.
Brandon M., Information Systems Manager
Experience:  Currently an IT Manager for law firm. Work with Exchange, Blackberries, MS Office daily

How can I unlock my keyboard for my laptop It is an Acer Aspire

Customer Question

How can I unlock my keyboard for my laptop? It is an Acer Aspire 5250?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 5 years ago.

BeBoo :

Hello and thank you for contacting JustAnswer, a paid expert support site. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be glad to assist you with your issue.

BeBoo :

What do you mean by "unlock the keyboard"? Are you not able to type anything?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, correct, not able to type anything or use function keys. The only thing that works is the touchpad section.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello, are you still there? Any ideas how we can resolve this issue?
Ok, one test is to turn caps lock on. Do you see a light illuminate indicating that the Caps Lock is on? This is usually a padlock with an 'A' in it or there could be a light on the caps lock key itself.

Let me know the outcome of this.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
None of her keyboard keys work and there are no lights on to indicate the caps is on or off..........Actually, there is no light there at all. Even when it was working before. Somehow she is locked out of her keyboard entirely :(
Ok, doesn't sound like the keyboard is locked. It sounds like the keyboard is either disconnected from the computer (cable under the keyboard) or something was spilled on the keyboard and it shorted out. Was anything spilled in this computer or was it dropped?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Her cousin spilled a very tiny bit of soda on the keyboard yesterday afternoon and it was immediately wiped up and dried out and there was no problems with it all night long and this morning. It stopped working about an hour ago. If the spillage was that long ago why would it still affect the keyboard? and If it is disconnected how do I reconnect it?
It doesn't matter if it was wiped up, it probably got into the circuit board just under the keys. There are holes on the top and bottom of this board so the liquid probably got into the circuit board and eventually dried up (no air movement in there so it probably took some time). If the computer operates normally, you may just need to replace the keyboard itself.

You can order a replacement here:,Laptop,Part,KBI170A172.aspx

The connector is below the board and you would need to look at a take-apart to find what screws you need to unscrew to release the keyboard. I can try to locate a guide or a take-apart but this usually isn't easy to do.