Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP etc.
30037186

My Dell Inspiron 1545 wont let me get past the error recovery

My Dell Inspiron 1545 won't let me get past the error recovery screen. Selecting Startup Repair or Start Windows Normally doesn't make any difference - all that happens is a 30 second countdown which keeps resetting. I've tried all of the Diagnostics, including the extended 2 hour job, but all of the tests come up as Pass.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 5 years ago.
Hi, and thanks for using JustAnswer.com.

It looks like windows is really corrupted as Startup repair (try safe mode also if you have not tried yet by pressing F8 after turning on the computer) did not work.

Does it have windows xp, vista, or 7? Do you have the windows / recovery disk?

Can you press F8 after turning on the computer and see if there is other repair/recovery option?

Thanks,
-Viet
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It's Windows 7 - I've tried all of the F8 stuff - no luck - still returns to Windows Error recovery page. No I don't think I have a recovery disk - In any case,I have non-backed-up stuff from yesterday that I don't want to lose.
Unfortunately, you will need the windows / recovery disk, but you can get your files out first: take out the hard drive. Then get a USB external hard drive enclosure/adapter (for about $20). Then you would install the hard drive to the new enclosure/adapter, then plug it into any working computer to get out files out.

You can get the windows / recovery disk at
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form

Please let me know if there is still any issue later. Thank you.

Thanks,
-Viet
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm not a 'techie' - I'm 62 and a relative computer novice - I wouldn't have the first idea how to remove the hard drive - aren't there any other 'input' alternatives?
Sorry, that's the only way; using the drive as an external hard drive; it's fairly easy taking out the hard drive:
  1. Follow the instructions in Before You Begin.

2. Remove the two screws securing the hard drive assembly to the computer base.

3. Slide the hard drive assembly out of the bay.

NOTICE: When the hard drive is not in the computer, store it in protective antistatic packaging (see "Protecting Against Electrostatic Discharge" in the safety instructions that shipped with your computer).

1

screws (2)

2

hard drive assembly

1. Remove the two screws (one from either side) securing the hard drive cage and bezel to the hard drive.

2. Remove the hard drive bezel.

3. Lift the hard drive cage off the hard drive.

1

hard drive cage

2

screws (2)

3

hard drive

4

hard drive bezel

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

This is for me, a terrifying option, with the prospect of my doing irreparable damage to my machine!

If I DO attempt this (and I'm not keen to try), I still don't know how my computer became 'corrupted' - so presumably, it could happen again?

Sorry, unfortunately, windows can fail sometimes and computer hardware devices can break down, just like any other electronic device. If you are not comfortable, I suggest brining the laptop to your local computer store/shop to recover your data files. Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Presumably, as all the tests came up as 'Pass', there isn't a problem with the hardware. If it's Windows, what is likely to have caused the failure - the last thing that I did before I closed down was to send an e-mail...?

Also, if I DO attempt to remove the hard drive, will it save stuff other than files - for example, my IE 'favourites'?

The passed tests do not guarantee, but yes, windows likely caused the failure. Yes, you can save your IE favorites. Thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

OK - I won't be able to buy the device today but if I try this over the weekend and it still doesn't work and I need help, will it be regarded as a new question (and therefore, cost) or can I continue to get advice under my original query?

Don't worry, there is no additional charge. Please keep me updated any time . Thank you.