Shefin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Working as tech support specialist with a worldwide computer manufacturer.
15907069

My webcam started showing the image rotated 180 degrees. How

Customer Question

My webcam started showing the image rotated 180 degrees. How can I get it back to defult view?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Shefin replied 3 years ago.

S H E F I N :

Hello, and welcome to Justanswer. My name is Shefin and I will be happy to assist you.

S H E F I N :

Please let me know when you are ready.

Customer :

Ready

S H E F I N :

Are you using a built in webcam?

Customer :

Yes

S H E F I N :

May I know the make and model of the computer?

Customer :

ACER Aspire

S H E F I N :

Are you experiencing the same issue while chatting or video conferencing?

Customer :

Yes

S H E F I N :

Please wait for a minute.

Customer :

OK

S H E F I N :

May I know the model number? E.g. Acer Aspire 3010

Customer :

More information: On Skype, I get a message that another program is using my webcam and to close it, but I have none open. In Movie Maker, the image is upside down.

S H E F I N :

I would suggest you uninstall the webcam driver and reinstalling it.

Customer :

And if that doesn't work?

S H E F I N :

First, get into device manager, under imaging devices, right click on the webcam name, select Uninstall.

S H E F I N :

Then, download and reinstall the webcam driver.

S H E F I N :

Please let me know the correct model number, so that I can help you download the driver.

Customer :

I uninstalled it and now the access to my webcam in Device Manger has disappeared.

S H E F I N :

Alright.

S H E F I N :

Now, you have to download and install the proper driver.

S H E F I N :

Customer :

Where can I find the model number?

S H E F I N :

The model number is like Acer Aspir 5620. You may find it from the side of the LCD screen, or the bottom side of the laptop.

Customer :

5745

S H E F I N :

Is it Acer Aspire 5745?

Customer :

yes

S H E F I N :

After downloading it, please let me know.

Customer :

OK

S H E F I N :

Have you downloaded the driver?

Customer :

It is apparently still in the download wait mode - the blue circle is rotating in the tab "global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Appli..."

S H E F I N :

Alright.

S H E F I N :

Please go to the link given below, select your computer model.

S H E F I N :

After selecting the model number, click on Applications.

S H E F I N :

You will get three webcam applications. Please try one by one.

Customer :

I chose Cicony and got a message "unrecognized camera"

S H E F I N :

Please try the other two.

Customer :

Chose a Suyin and got to a tab labeled Connecting, but it koos stalled waiting. Again, My webcam dissapeared from my device manager list when I uninstlled the driver. How will and program recognize now that I have a webcam?

S H E F I N :

Could you please try Liteon and check if it is working or not?

Customer :

Chose liteon - stuck on Connecting tab.

S H E F I N :

Are you getting any error message while installing the webcam?

Customer :

When I choose Chicony it loads right away but calls it Crystal Eye - the other two don't respond. Crystal eye doesn't recignize the camera.

S H E F I N :

After downloading the file, please extract it to desktop.

S H E F I N :

Then try instaling it again.

Customer :

Chicony goes to a Crytal Eye installer then gives message Unrecognized camera. The other two never respond from the Connecting tab. How long can that take?

S H E F I N :

Could you please get into device manager, right click on Computer and select scan for hardware changes? It will recognize camera and try to install it.

Customer :

There's no webcam on my device manager list since I uninstalled the driver at your request. How does that happen?

S H E F I N :

In device manager, select 'Computer, right click on it and select scan for hardware changes.

Customer :

Thanks. That brought the webcam back on the list. Should I try the downloads again?

Customer :

It also says the device is working proerly.

S H E F I N :

Could you please try to use it in Movie maker?

Customer :

OK

Customer :

Tried. Still upside-down.

S H E F I N :

Yes. Try Chicony first.

S H E F I N :

Please wait.

Customer :

ok

Customer :

Chicony still ends with "Unrecognized camera"

S H E F I N :

Please extract the downloaded file to your desktop.

Customer :

OK. Done.

S H E F I N :

Could you please try Suyin and liteon once again?

Customer :

I did. Same result - waiting on "Connecting" tab.

S H E F I N :

Please wait a minute.

Customer :

OK

S H E F I N :

You are using Windows 7 as operating system. Right?

Customer :

Yes

S H E F I N :

Do you see camera settings in Movie maker or Messenger?

S H E F I N :

Or check for the setting Mirror Vertical

Customer :

Nothing in Movie Maker for camera settings. Don't know what Messenger is. Where do I check for "Mirror Vertical"?

S H E F I N :

Are you able to orpn the camera in Skype?

Customer :

It's upside-down.

S H E F I N :

1. download the latest Chicony (or Suyin) driver for Windows 7.
2. extract contents to desktop.
3. Open Device Manager.
4. click on Imaging Devices to show the name of the webcam.
5. right-click on the name of the webcam and select Properties.
6. go to the Driver tab. click on Update Driver. a new window should pop-up.
7. click 'Browse my computer for driver software'. select 'Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer'.
8. on the next window, it'll give you the current driver. click 'Have Disk'. click Browse. Browse to the desktop and select lastest driver that you've downloaded. it'll be then added to the list of drivers. select the new driver and click Next. Just follow the prompts so that it'll install the new driver.

S H E F I N :

Follow the instructions and let me know the result.

Customer :

The name of the webcam says "1.3 M Web Cam" is that a real name?

S H E F I N :

That is alright. CVontinue with the installation.

Customer :

I'm ready for the name of the driver to enter in browser window to look for driver.

S H E F I N :

Are you able to select the folder that you have extracted?

Customer :

Yes, I extracted Chicony. It's on my desktop.

S H E F I N :

Have you tried to select Suyin and liteon folders?

S H E F I N :

By selecting Chicony, do you have any options to select?

Customer :

It's a never-ending wait for them to respond.

S H E F I N :

By selecting Chicony, do you have any files to select?

Customer :

When I choose downloads from my desktop, i got a window that says windows has determined that you have the best driver for you device. Then it lista the device by the name I sent you.

S H E F I N :

That is alright. However, try to select a file from Chicony folder.

S H E F I N :

Also, try the same for Suyin and Liteon.

Customer :

Same thing.I always end up with a window that says unrecognized camera.

S H E F I N :

Please wait a minute.

Customer :

OK

S H E F I N :

Thank you for your patience.

S H E F I N :

Please go to the link given below, and try to download and install the camera utility.

S H E F I N :

Are you there?

S H E F I N :

Is the issue resolved?

Expert:  Shefin replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Shefin replied 3 years ago.

Have you tried installing the driver. If the issue persists, please let me know, so that I can assist you further.

If the issue resolved or the response was helpful, please click ACCEPT, so that I can get paid for my time and effort.

Thank you.
S H E F I N
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Everytime I try to download the driver from the link you sent me, it detours me eventually to download a driver scanner - it never kets me just download the driver listed.

Expert:  Shefin replied 3 years ago.

If the issue still persists, I would suggest you restore the computer to an earlier date when it was working properly. Please find instructions to restore the computer from the link given below. Select a day when the computer was working fine.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/700-system-restore.html

If the issue persists, please let me know.

Thank you.
S H E F I N