Ryan H., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  A+ Certified Technician - 10 Years experience working with all types of computer systems.
20388524

how to turn off the mousepad on asus laptop

Category: Computer
Expert:  Ryan H. replied 3 years ago.

Ryan H :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I can help you today. Do you want to permanently disable this or just occasionally?

Customer:

Permanent would be OK, but I would rather have an off/on capability.

Ryan H :

Okay, thanks. Are you wanting to use an external mouse instead?

Customer:

Yes, definitely

Ryan H :

Okay. Lets try this first, press the Windows key (on the keyboard) and the "R" key at the same time. A dialog box will appear. Type in: devmgmt.msc and then press OK.

Customer:

Done

Ryan H :

Ok, and do you see a "Mice and other pointing devices"

Customer:

yes

Ryan H :

Ok, go ahead and expand that. Then let me know what it lists there

Customer:

HID compliant which is my external mouse I believe, and

Customer:

standard PS/2 port mouse

Ryan H :

Go ahead and unplug the mouse and see which one disappears.

Customer:

I had it right, the HID disappears

Ryan H :

Thanks. You can plug that back in. Just a moment.

Ryan H :

Go ahead and right click on the standard PS/2 Port item and select Disable.

Customer:

I've been here. It gives me 'uninstall', but 'disable' is grayed out. When I try to uninstall, when the computer is rebooted it installs it again every time.

Ryan H :

Right, ok hang on for me.

Customer:

sure Ryan

Ryan H :

What model number is XXXXX Asus?

Customer:

Afraid you'd ask that. Just a moment. A tag underneath says K601

Ryan H :

Any other numbers on the label?

Customer:

K601 RBBBRO5

Ryan H :

Okay, give this a try: Click the Start Button, then Control Panel, then Mouse / Mouse Settings and then click the Device Settings tab. Then check the "Disable internal pointing device when external USB device is attached".

Customer:

I have a click under 'hardware' for mouse, but nothing for mouse settings. When I do click that option up, it does not give me that option. Unless I'm in the wrong place.

Ryan H :

It should look like this:

Full Size Image

Customer:

Yes, what comes up is 'mouse settings, and it has all of the other tabs, minus 'device settings.' That tap is not there.

Ryan H :

Oh I see, the tab is missing. Okay. Just a moment.

Ryan H :

Is the reason you want to disable it because it interferes when you are typing?

Customer:

Terribly

Ryan H :

I see. Unfortunately, in this day and age, computer manufacturers seem to make it so incredibly difficult to do something so simple like disable the touchpad. We may be able to work around it. There is a program that disables the touchpad only when typing, we could give that a try. You can download that here: http://code.google.com/p/touchfreeze/

Customer:

I need to know if it will work before I press 'accept.' Will you wait?

Ryan H :

Yes of course. Go ahead and download and run it.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

So sorry, Ryan. I downloaded it, it installed with a load bar, I have it in my programs and have pinned the icon to my start menu, but I can't get it to come up.

Ryan H :

Thats okay. Look in the task bar. It should be hidden when open.

Full Size Image

Customer:

By the way, I just read the page of the link says it's for Windows N/2000/XP. Could that be it?

Ryan H :

It runs on 7 as well.

Ryan H :

Look in the task bar for the little square icon that looks like a touchpad

Customer:

just a moment

Customer:

It was not on my lower taskbar. I sent it there, and it does not give me that message about loading at system startup. Do you think that is the way it works?

Ryan H :

Ok, the file you download, what happens when you double click it?

Customer:

That's just it...............nothing. Even when I right click and select 'open,' nothing happens. Frustrating.

Customer:

Do you suppose it won't work because my external mouse is operating?

Ryan H :

It may not be compatible with your specific computer. You can try to unplug it and run it, and restart the computer as well to test. Other than that, the only other thing I could recommend doing, would be to go to the asus support website and download the touchpad drivers again. Then see if you have that missing tab in the Mouse properties. If that doesn't work look for a "Synaptics" program in the start menu, which may have something that can help you.

Customer:

I just clicked on 'check compatibility.' It says it is not. I guess we didn't get there.

Ryan H :

Okay, hold on please.

Ryan H :

Go ahead and restart the computer, then tap F2 right when the computer turns on and until you get a screen that is the BIOS (all kinds of settings). Look for a setting that says "Internal pointing device" and set it to disabled.

Ryan H :

Let me see if I can find you a video.

Ryan H :

Yep here we go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0JlvAa3Mos (Just to illustrate what to do).

Customer:

Ryan, to perform this I will need to disconnect of course. Will you give me a link to get back to you when I get it fixed, and get you paid?

Ryan H :

Yes, can you bookmark/favorite this page so you can come back?

Customer:

Yes I will for sure. Count on it.

Ryan H :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX!

Ryan H., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: A+ Certified Technician - 10 Years experience working with all types of computer systems.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ryan, I'm going to click on this because you did help me, but these people have me very nervous about the billing. There is another email which seems to acknowledge I paid $38 and they call it a DEPOSIT. I did NOT sign up for a service. I am so sick of that shit. Please let me know soon, or have them let me know soon that this is not going to be complicated. I understood I paid $38 for one answer, one time. I will make trouble for these people if they are doing this.
Expert:  Ryan H. replied 3 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for getting back to me. You will only be charged once. Please let me know if you have any other questions for me. You will not be billed any more than the amount you agreed to. If you are all set, click the Accept button and the chat will end, and you will be given a chance to leave feedback on the next page. Thank you very much and have a great day. - Ryan (Salem, Oregon)