Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

My wireless network adapter has stopped working. Other computers

Customer Question

My wireless network adapter has stopped working. Other computers connect to the network so it is not a problem with the router.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Nalosin replied 3 years ago.

Nalosin :

Hello

Nalosin :

I can try to help with your question

Nalosin :

Do you get any error message when trying to connect with wireless adapter?

Customer :

no it says it is working but does not.

Nalosin :

Have you tried to restart your computer?

Nalosin :

Does it connect to the router?

Customer :

yes

Nalosin :

Does your wireless adapter connect to router?

Customer :

no it is not seeing any networks

Nalosin :

Ok.

Nalosin :

Do you have installation cd for it?

Customer :

yes

Nalosin :

Did you try to reinstall it?

Customer :

no Ihave not done this

Nalosin :

Can you please reinstall the CD

Nalosin :

Note to first disconnect your wireless adapter, then install cd and when asked connect it to USB

Customer :

This is a laptop with built in wireless so Icannot disconnect

Nalosin :

Ok, then please give me your laptop model

Nalosin :

also tell me if it's 32bit or 64bit?

Customer :

It has PP39l on the underside I think it is called an inspiron it has 64bit processor

Nalosin :

Ok.

Nalosin :

Can you first try this

Nalosin :

go to Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager

Nalosin :

there look for Wireless adapter and click plus just before to open it

Nalosin :

list here what do you have there?

Customer :

I have got into device manager but there is no wireless adapter on menu. I tried system devices but no luck there either

Nalosin :

Do you have any exclamation yellow mark there in Device Manager?

Nalosin :

Are you there?

Customer :

Yes I am here but struggling . There is no yellow exclamation mark

Nalosin :

Can you please check the model again on the back sticker of your laptop

Customer :

It is a studio 1558 PP39L I have just looked at the order confirmation and that says Studio 15(N0055802) It says under the item and description wireless networking- Dell wireless 1397 mini Card (802.11b/g) . Order acknowledgement 11 Feb 2010 internet receipt no. : GB 0132-5993-42161

Nalosin :

Ok.

Nalosin :

Here is the link to download the wireless adapter driver

Nalosin :

when you open the page

Nalosin :

download the first driver. Your model 1397 is listed

Nalosin :

Do you have a wireless key button on your computer?

Customer :

Where might it be?

Nalosin :

usually somewhere around the keyboard

Customer :

What does it look like, i.e. does it have an icon printed on it, e.g. something that lookes like a wireless mast?

Nalosin :

button looks like on this picture:

Nalosin :

Full Size Image

Customer :

Yes, the F2 button.

Nalosin :

ok then press FN+F2

Nalosin :

on your keyaboard

Nalosin :

and then try to connect to wireless

Customer :

Should we download the driver first? We lost the Dell window for a few minutes so you may have thought we were downloading when in fact we were trying to get you on screen again.

Nalosin :

please try first FN+F2

Nalosin :

then if that doesn't work you can download the driver

Nalosin :

also you can right-click on the link for download and select open in new window

Nalosin :

so this chat will be still opened

Customer :

Will do.

Customer :

One small question. We are talking to you on an ethernet connection at the moment. What do I do about that connection before trying the Fn &F2 to try to reconnect to the wireless connection without losing the ability to talk to you? Can I connect to the wireless without removing the ethernet link?

Nalosin :

You can just try FN+F2

Nalosin :

if that works you will be able to see your wireless network in Networks List

Nalosin :

you don't need to connect to it

Nalosin :

and you will be still connected by cable

Customer :

How does one find the Network List? It usually pops up at the beginning of a session but I have never tried to find it otherwise. Sorry to be such an ignoramus.

Nalosin :

You have an icon right near the clock in bottom right corner of the screen

Nalosin :

when you click on it pop-up will show connect to network

Nalosin :

when you click on it, it will open new window with available wireless networks

Customer :

There is an item in the list which says Jones-2.4-G, with 4 green bars indication strength, which I think is probably it. Should I take out the ethernet cable and see if I still have contact with you?

Nalosin :

Yes. You can first connect to wireless, then disconnect the cable

Nalosin :

and refresh this page

Nalosin :

also Bookmark it (add to favorites)

Nalosin :

to be able to return to it

Nalosin :

if we get disconnected

Nalosin :

I will be here waiting

Nalosin :

Once you disconnect the cable, if wireless doesn't work, try to disconnect from wireless and connect again

Nalosin :

then it should definitely work

Customer :

Sorry, a message came up 'Windows unable to connect to Jones 2.4-G.

Nalosin :

Can you restart your router? Turn it off and after 10 seconds turn it on again

Nalosin :

Then try to connect wirelessly

Customer :

Tried that, and the Windows 'fix' , but it still comes up with 'problems with wireless adapter'.

Customer :

If the adapter is faulty will downloading drivers actually fix it, or not?

Nalosin :

It should

Nalosin :

did you download and installed the drivers

Customer :

No not yet but I will do that now

Nalosin :

Ok. please let me know when you are done

Customer :

Windows says that the link you provided is either unavailable or does not exist.

Customer :

Ok thanks

Customer :

What does that mean? Are you going to help further or not?

Customer :

As you have not solved the problem I am not going to accept

Customer :

The link you gave us is either unavailable or does not exist, according to tinyurl

Nalosin : I will open question to other experts an if someone can help you will be notified.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.
If the new drivers dont fix the adapter it may just be physically damaged. The easiest thing is probably to buy a usb external wireless card. You should be able to get one for under 30 bucks even in walmart or kmart. Probably cheaper if you want to search online sources.