Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  20 Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt

how to format a hard drive for a toshiba satellite c655d-s5043

Customer Question

how to format a hard drive for a toshiba satellite c655d-s5043 in boot up. So I can reinstall windows 7.
Category: Computer
Expert:  namstech replied 2 years ago.

NA-eTech :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

NA-eTech :

When you will start installing Windows 7, you will have an option to format the harddrive. At that moment you can use that option to format it.

JACUSTOMER-s6hqq1gh- :

hello

JACUSTOMER-s6hqq1gh- :

my computer try to recovery with no option to format

NA-eTech :

You mean Windows system recovery?

JACUSTOMER-s6hqq1gh- :

yes, what happen i had to replace my screen and add more ram. it start-up but no image so I was try reinstall windows

JACUSTOMER-s6hqq1gh- :

start-up with screen normal but once it start windows it blank or pointer on the screen

NA-eTech :

Restart computer and press F8 repeatedly a few times as it restarts. When you get a menu, select safe mode with networking and press enter.

NA-eTech :

Let me know if you can login.

JACUSTOMER-s6hqq1gh- :

try that went it load stuck on files or use start disk it restart get an error and try reboot do to system crashing. I can give you error code for you.

NA-eTech :

What is the error code?

JACUSTOMER-s6hqq1gh- :

unmountable_boot_volume and code is stop: 0x000000ED (0xFFFFFA80042F2060, )xFFFFFFFFC0000185, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000)

JACUSTOMER-s6hqq1gh- :

the one is to be 0FFFFFFFFC0000185

JACUSTOMER-s6hqq1gh- :

accidently hit shift put ) instead 0

NA-eTech :

You get this right away as you start the computer, right?

JACUSTOMER-s6hqq1gh- :

I have to disable automatic restart on system failure and when enter windows I get this

NA-eTech :

Do you have some important data on the disk drive?

JACUSTOMER-s6hqq1gh- :

no

NA-eTech :

Shut down your computer, then press and hold 0 key and then start your computer.

NA-eTech :

You will be asked if you want to recover factory default image.

NA-eTech :

You can use that option to return your computer to factory defaults settings.

NA-eTech :

However, here is the caution before you do that:

NA-eTech :

CAUTION:
Restoring a hard disk drive to its factory default state deletes all partitions on the hard disk drive and all data stored on those partitions. All of your files and information will be lost! Be sure to back up all important files first.

JACUSTOMER-s6hqq1gh- :

when i hit 0 it put window boot manger

NA-eTech :

What do you see there?

JACUSTOMER-s6hqq1gh- :

ask choose os or hit f8 advance option or windows memory diagonostic

NA-eTech :

Press F8, advanced options.

JACUSTOMER-s6hqq1gh- :

where option for safe mode

NA-eTech :

What are the options?

JACUSTOMER-s6hqq1gh- :

safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt, enble boot logging, enable low-resolution video, last know good confrigation, directory services restore mode, debugging mode, disable automatic restart on system failure, disable driver signature enforcement, and start windows normally

NA-eTech :

Select safe mode with networking.

JACUSTOMER-s6hqq1gh- :

loading but struck on one then restart

NA-eTech :

Restart, get to the Advanced Boot options again and this time select Last know good configuration.

JACUSTOMER-s6hqq1gh- :

just restarted when window start up

NA-eTech :

Could you get into windows?

JACUSTOMER-s6hqq1gh- :

no

NA-eTech :

Try safe mode with command prompt

NA-eTech :

Let me know if you could get to the command prompt

JACUSTOMER-s6hqq1gh- :

load windows\system32\driver\AtiPcie.sys it get struck restarts

NA-eTech :

I see. Seems to be graphics driver problem.

NA-eTech :

Try enable low-resolution video

JACUSTOMER-s6hqq1gh- :

just restarted

NA-eTech :

i.e. couldn't start successfully, right?

JACUSTOMER-s6hqq1gh- :

yes

NA-eTech :

Do you always get these options when you press and hold the '0' key and then start your computer?

JACUSTOMER-s6hqq1gh- :

yes

NA-eTech :

Did you ever get Toshiba HDD Recovery Utility screen?

JACUSTOMER-s6hqq1gh- :

is that launch start-up repair?

NA-eTech :

No it is a dialog that says Please select the recovery method

JACUSTOMER-s6hqq1gh- :

no i did not

NA-eTech :

You can try startup repair instead.

JACUSTOMER-s6hqq1gh- :

doesn't work

JACUSTOMER-s6hqq1gh- :

how do you get toshiba hdd recovery utility screen

NA-eTech :

i.e. by pressing and holding '0' key and restarting your computer.

NA-eTech :

Do you have Windows CD/DVD with you?

JACUSTOMER-s6hqq1gh- :

i have recovery media from toshiba

JACUSTOMER-s6hqq1gh- :

told hit c to recovery but didn't work

NA-eTech :

Try using the recovery CD/DVD.

NA-eTech :

Insert it into computer, then restart computer and press F12 repeatedly till you get boot selection menu.

NA-eTech :

On that menu, select your CD/DVD and press Enter.

NA-eTech :

Then follow instructions as per the link above under Hard Disk Drive Recovery using CDs or DVDs

JACUSTOMER-s6hqq1gh- :

select cd/dvd but windows load file and start up then load windows with blank screen with my pointer

NA-eTech :

When you select CD/DVD, it should start loading the Recovery CD.

JACUSTOMER-s6hqq1gh- :

select cd/dvd it goes the windows loading and start winows

JACUSTOMER-s6hqq1gh- :

windows^

NA-eTech :

What happens if you simply restart your computer with CD/DVD inside?

JACUSTOMER-s6hqq1gh- :

same thing

NA-eTech :

Are you sure it is the recovery CD?

NA-eTech :

Please confirm.

JACUSTOMER-s6hqq1gh- :

that what wrote on them recovery media

NA-eTech :

Do you have more than one?

JACUSTOMER-s6hqq1gh- :

yes there 3 cd

NA-eTech :

Try each of them one by one.

JACUSTOMER-s6hqq1gh- :

try all of them didn't work

NA-eTech :

Do you have Windows 7 CD/DVD?

JACUSTOMER-s6hqq1gh- :

no build into computer from toshiba

NA-eTech :

I am sorry but I am out of ideas. Will be opting out for other experts to have a look.

NA-eTech :

Thanks for your patience and extreme cooperation.

Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name isXXXXX may be able to provide you with some additional information. In order to invoke the system restore to factory settings, if it's not responding, please try going through these steps. read each step carefully.

1. Make sure the computer is turned off ("Shut-down" from the Windows Start menu)
  2. Remove any peripherals such an external mouse, keyboard, monitor, USB flash drive etc.
  3. Make sure the AC Adapter is plugged in and working.
  4. Press and hold down the 0 (zero) key on the keyboard while powering on the computer. Release it when the recovery warning screen appears.
  5. If the recovery process offers a choice of Operating Systems, select the appropriate one for you.
  6. A warning screen appears, stating that when the recovery is executed all data will be deleted and rewritten.
  7. Click Yes to continue.
  8. When the Toshiba Recovery Wizard opens select "Recovery of Factory Software" or the appropriate option for your needs.
  9. Continue to follow the directions restarting as necessary.
If you are unable to get this to work, you will have to order restore disks from Toshiba. You can start this process by entering your serial number at the following page and then following the instructions.

Order Toshiba Restore Media
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I found out the it not my software but I purchase the wrong part instead led on accident brought lcd. That is my hardware what creating my software conflict. Thank you