romr2009
romr2009, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  32 years practical systems experience: computer/phone, automotive, appliance, & electrical control
24179821

I am trying to install a CapTel 800i captioned telephone with

Customer Question

I am trying to install a CapTel 800i captioned telephone with a 2Wire 144 wireless modem.The audio works ok but no captions. The CapTel techys have given up on the problem and think it is a Firewall problem.

Please advise. John Shepard Account number: XXXXXXXXXX
Category: Computer
Expert:  romr2009 replied 3 years ago.
Hello Sir or Madam and thanks for choosing the JustAnswer.com Computer category.

• Can you give a more specific model number for the 2wire?
-----
  • The CapTel 800i cannot connect wirelessly to the 2wire 144 modem.
  • Are you connecting the CapTel to the 2Wire with an ethernet cable?
-----

http://www.captel.com/customer_service/kb/uploads/83/CapTel-800i-Install-Guide1.pdf

romr2009, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience: 32 years practical systems experience: computer/phone, automotive, appliance, & electrical control
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

2Wire numbers: SN 471019121144 Number under bar code(NNN) NNN-NNNN odd number:2701HG-B, SSID2Wire144, Wireless Network Key XXXXXXXXXX

When I mentioned "wireless" I was refering to my Gateway 15 Laptop. CapTel is connected by Ethernet cable. All of my equipment is new purchased in May 2011.

I have the CapTel installation guide and am competent enough to follow all instructions.CapTel is hooked up with a Dual-Port filter marked "Phone and DSL/HPNA.

I spent a week and a half with techys trying all the tests in the installation guide with CapTel .I have installed 220V submersable pumps and wired up the breaker box in the pumphouse and then over to connect to the house breaker box. I built a room addition and did all the wireing and passed code. I am not a dumby. My CapTel is connected correctly.

However, I am deaf--the reason to spend $120 on a CapTel and $48 on you. I cannot hear over the phone. On page 13 of the CapTel installation guide it says to contact your ISP for instruction on how to adjust my Firewall security settings to include the CapLTel phone. That is what I would like you to do.

My ISP is ATT&T. Account number XXXXXXXXXX Password: thirtytwo32, Network Name: SSID 2Wire144, 10-digit WEP key XXXXXXXXXX That is all the numbers I have.

I am aware of but have never used Windows Remote Assistance. I necessasary we might set that up. I am on PST.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am waiting for some indication that romr209 read my additional information. I do not consider that my question has been answered.
Expert:  romr2009 replied 3 years ago.

• Before we look at the firewall, what is the result of the test on page 12 of the manual:
  1. Press any key to "wake up" the CapTel phone if the screen is dark.
  2. With the handset down, press 0 4 7 4 6 3 6 on the number keypad (zero IPINFO). The CapTel display screen will show IP information about your telephone.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ESN 389B1908405

SW Version 120810

MAC 00:1B:C4:07:E3:D6

Phone IP 192.168.1.67

SN Mask 255.255.255.0

GWIP Adr 192.168.1.254

DNS Server 192.168.1.254

There is no "CAP IR" or "IP ADRR"

Expert:  romr2009 replied 3 years ago.

http://support.2wire.com/view/765/2701_installation_guide.pdf

-----

• Unplug the power cord for the 2-wire 2701HG-B.
  • Unplug the power cord for the CapTel.
  • Wait 10 minutes.
  • Re-connect the power cord for the 2-wire 2701HG-B.
  • Wait 10 minutes.
  • Re-connect the power cord for the CapTel.
  • Wait 10 minutes.
  • The Captions button should be lit.
  • Reply with the new test results from page 12.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I followed your e-mail instructions, repeated the test on p.12, (0474636) no change in screen readout.

The red caption button on CapTel is lit but no captions incoming on test call.

Phone screen indicates the DHCP is OK. I reset the phone (bottom P. 13, 073738) to no avail.

Expert:  romr2009 replied 3 years ago.

• Test the modem by diconnecting the ethernet cable from the CapTel and moving it to your computer's ethernet port.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did the above. The computer worked normally accessing the internet. On the CapTel screen was the notation--*Captions Unavailable* Check that Ethernet cable is plugged in

On Sept 3 I wrote you that I had spent a week and a half jumping through these same hoops with the CapTel techy. My telephone and I passed every test. Lets tackle the Firewall modification.

Expert:  romr2009 replied 3 years ago.

• While the computer is using the ethernet cable, click on the Windows orb, type cmd into the search box, and double click on the cmd icon to run a command prompt.
  • Type the following:
  • ipconfig /all
  • Right-click the window and move to select all.
  • Paste the results into this window.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\John Shepard>ipconfig/all

Hope this if what you wanted. Doesn't look like much to the unwashed.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I received the above message with no comment.
Expert:  romr2009 replied 3 years ago.

• There is a space after the ipconfig.
  • There is no space between the / and the all.
  • (In other words, there are two words ipconfig and /all).

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]

C:\Users\John Shepard>ipconfig /all

Expert:  romr2009 replied 3 years ago.

• Sorry.
  • ipconfig /all
  • Then hit the return key to tell the computer to execute the command.
  • Wait for the report to finish.
  • Paste the results into this window.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]

C:\Users\John Shepard>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : JohnShepard-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : gateway.2wire.net

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 3:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter #
2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : BC-77-37-43-98-20
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : gateway.2wire.net
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 1030
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : BC-77-37-43-98-1F
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::416f:c1d9:c6fa:78b1%13(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.65(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, September 15, href="http://www.justanswer.com/computer/5hzc2-trying-install-captel-800i-captioned-telephone.html1 6:07:33 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, September 16, href="http://www.justanswer.com/computer/5hzc2-trying-install-captel-800i-captioned-telephone.html1 6:07:34 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : XXXXXXXXX br/> DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-15-4B-FA-6F-78-2B-CB-F0-C3-59

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 78-2B-CB-F0-C3-59
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::c1d9:c2a7:8ca8:9fc%12(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.64(Preferred)
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, September 15, href="http://www.justanswer.com/computer/5hzc2-trying-install-captel-800i-captioned-telephone.html1 6:08:05 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, September 16, href="http://www.justanswer.com/computer/5hzc2-trying-install-captel-800i-captioned-telephone.html1 6:08:06 PM

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : BC-77-37-43-98-23
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter isatap.gateway.2wire.net:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e76:1c21:3fc4:9339:9f5a(Pref
erred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::1c21:3fc4:9339:9f5a%16(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

C:\Users\John Shepard>

FLASH: I have received two captioned phone calls. The first I initiated to my local Dr's office and the second was an incoming long distance from OR. These are the only captioned calls I have received in 6 weeks.

Expert:  romr2009 replied 3 years ago.

• Click on the ShieldsUp link below to check the status of your ports.
https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

-----

• Then you need another ethernet cable so the CapTel and your computer are both connected to the 2-wire.
  • We will change the firewall settings (page 84 of the 2nd manual linked below) to move the CapTel outside of the firewall (DMZplus mode).

-----

http://www.captel.com/customer_service/kb/uploads/82/CapTel-800i-User-Manual1.pdf

http://support.2wire.com/download/49/5100-000326-000.Rev.A.pdf
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry I have delayed our program but I have ben away for a week, taking care of 5 medical "procedures" in 3 different towns and two states.

I'am not crazy about the idea of hooking up my wireless laptop to a firewire or any wire but I guess I can do that in the middle of the day. I use it mostly morn & eve.

I'm concerned about following instructions to change the firewall. At 86 years of age, I am deaf as a post on the phone. $5000 plus of hearing aids haven't worked.

I've never used Windows Remote Assistance but I am sure I can get it going on my end if it would help. Standing by.

Expert:  romr2009 replied 3 years ago.
  • We are not allowed phone contact, only this venue.

-----

• Let me know when you get the extra ethernet cable (not firewire) so both the Captel and your laptop will be connected to the router at the same time.
  • I am not set up nor authorized for Remote Control.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There is only one Ethernet socket on the CapTel phone. I went to Radio Shack and they did not carry a splitter or "Y".

CapTel phone came alive and printed "Check that Ethernet cable is plugged in" and "Ethernet cable not plugged in" and "NDK aborted with critical error -1" I got rid of the notations by going throough the three reset routines on P. 13 of the installation guide.

I looked at ShieldsUP and decided it was two steps above my pay grade. I got my first computer in my mid 70's and never studied the genre. Digital photography was my bag.

Expert:  romr2009 replied 3 years ago.
  • You should have checked back with me after you got the 2nd ethernet cable.
  • The picture below is from page 14 (of 27) from the 2-wire installation guide.

graphic

• Leave the CapTel ethernet cable connected to the first port.
  • (In this case, the CapTel is the "First Computer with Ethernet Connection")
  • Connect your computer to the 2nd ethernet port.
  • This way, both devices are connected to the 2-wire.

-----

Reset the devices for the new configuration as follows:

• Unplug the power cord for the CapTel.
  • Wait 10 minutes.
  • Wait 10 minutes.
  • Reboot the computer.
  •  

-----

• Get back to me so we can change the firewall for the CapTel ethernet connection.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, I was confused about the hookup but I now have the CapTel and the LT connected to the 2Wire with Ethernet cables. I followed the instructions on reset.

My son-in-law who is a graduate software engineer will be here on Sunday and I hope it is convenient for you to tackle the Firewall issue. If we can't get together he will be back in a week as the couple are going to a week in Ashland, OR to a Shakespear festival.

On Sept.15 I sent a FLASH that I had received two captioned messages on the phone. That shows me that my basic hook-up is OK.

Since resetting, I have unhooked the LT (I am "wireless") and used it at a different site. Before we connect for the Firewall issue, and I hook up to the 2-Wire again should I do the reset again?

Expert:  romr2009 replied 3 years ago.

• You should always do the reset whenever you change the connections.
    • This forces the router to re-establish communications with the devices connected to the ports.

-----

• I don't usually work Sundays, but all he has to do is browse over to the router "website" ( http://gateway.2wire.net) and set the CapTel "computer" to the demilitarized zone (DMZ).
    • See the 2 areas circled in red in the picture below:

graphic

• We will change the firewall settings (page 84 of the manual linked below) to move the CapTel outside of the firewall (DMZplus mode).

• -----

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I followed your instructions (moving the captel phone to the DMZ in the 2wire router firewall control page). This improved the situation, but the captel still isn't working.

Now, when a call comes in, the captel says "Waiting for captions" and "Stage 0 of 8". This stays on for 30-45 seconds, at which point it rapidly goes through stages 1-8 and brings up a captioning screen, which _correctly_ starts to caption two or three words of the conversation. Then it stops and doesn't caption anything else.

Further, once the captioning starts, the "internet" light on the 2wire router goes off, and I lose internet connectivity for the duration of the call. When the call ends, sometimes the captel gives an error, sometimes not, but I never get more than two or three words captioned, and only after 30-45 after the call started.

Next steps?

Expert:  romr2009 replied 3 years ago.

-----

• The Waiting for captions... and Stage... never happened before the DMZ move?

-----

• Check your ISP using both of the links below: (Click on the Begin Test button and ignore the advertising downloads.)

http://www.pingtest.net/
    http://speedtest.net/

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't believe the captions "waiting for... stages" messages ever came up before the move to the DMZ, but I can't be sure.

Pingtest results: Couldn't test for packet loss (no explanation) 43 ms ping time. 3ms jitter. Line quality B*.

Speedtest.net results: 35 ms ping time. 5.14 mb download. 0.64 mb upload

It seems like the phone is causing the router to lose its internet link while it tries to get captions. With the internet link down, it just fails. Then, when the phone hangs up, the link comes back. Very frustrating.

Given that it captions 2 or 3 words after 30 or 45 seconds, it seems like at least a few packets get out and come back, then the whole system fails. Almost ready to send the thing back and give up.

Any further suggestions?

Expert:  romr2009 replied 3 years ago.

• Does the same company provide you with telephone and internet service?
    • Does your phone service come through the cable company?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had the phone service, At&T before I bought the internet service .Both telephone and computer are AT&T.

I don't know if the phone service comes through the cable company.

Expert:  romr2009 replied 3 years ago.

• That's probably not good enough for Captel.
    • (Especially the 0.64 mb upload.)
    • Can you get a faster speed from AT&T?

-----

• The only thing left is swapping out the modem and the wires from the point of entry (POE) outside to the modem.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

SUCCESS:

I knew I had enough internet speed because I have AT&T "High Speed Internet" at an advertised speed of 6Mbps.

I arranged for a call from the AT&T service man and explained my problem. I asked him to check the wiring. He went to the side yard and in the in-box for the phone he found an antiquated module from 1972 that was used to check the phone at that time. He was surprised I had any high speed internet at all. After replacing the module with a modern one, the captions worked. It takes about 15 seconds for the captions to start so I don't know how that will work out. I haven't been able to use it in the "real world" yet.

Go ahead and spend the $48.

Thank you for your patience in working with an 86 year old computer geezeer.

John P. Shepard, Yreka, CA

Expert:  romr2009 replied 3 years ago.

Congratulations!