Jess
Jess, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer
49766785

How do I fix The Directory Service is currently unavailable I

Customer Question

How do I fix "The Directory Service is currently unavailable"?
I am using XP
Justin Nayes helped me last time...
Regards
John Tuddenham
XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jess replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thank you for using JustAnswer.com. I am glad to assist you today.

1. How did you get that error message?

• When you turn on the computer?
    • When you browse another computer in the network?
    • When you try to print to a network printer?
    • or some others?
  2. Are you in a wired or wireless network?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can't use Outlook - Locate Link Browser problem now...!!

So I can't view your reponse in Outlook!!

Unreal!

In answer to YOU above...

I get the message when I try and Print....(Locate printer)

I have wireless braodband..here in Melbourne, Oz

It also seems the problem is connected to WORD when I try and reply to an email and I can't Junk Mail items any more...

I restored my system to last Monday...same results..

Expert:  Jess replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for writing back.

Is the printer installed in another computer and you are printing wirelessly?
If the printer is installed in another computer, please check if the printer is still SHARED there.

Keep me posted.
Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is PHYSICALLY connected to my Computer...but my computer doesn't know it ANY MORE

If I go into MY COMPUTER...my printer isn't there any more

Expert:  Jess replied 3 years ago.
OK. So it appears that your computer routed the printer as a network printer. The error message that you are getting happens to those who are trying to print to network printers when the network parameters are changed or down causing the printer to be inaccessible.

Please try these:

1. Go to Start => Control Panel => Printers and Faxes
  2. Did you see several printers there? Have you seen your printer in the list?
  3. If so, please delete your printer in the list
  4. Then go to Control Panel => Add/Remove Programs
  5. Locate ALL software and drivers of your printer
  6. Then UNINSTALL each one
  7. Then UNPLUG the printer's USB cable attached to your computer
  8. Then restart the computer
  9. After restarting, use the printer's installation CD and re-install the printer. That should make your printer print with all your software.

I hope that helped. Keep me posted.
Jess
Jess, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jess

Thanks mate...all seems Ok now

Do you know what causes this problem?

Expert:  Jess replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the accept. I am glad that the printer works now.

The problem could be caused by an installation of a Windows Update, or an attempt to enable active directory causing your printer to be routed into a directory service.

Good to know it is back to work now.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Jess