John, Computer Specialist
Experience:  MCP, RHCE
50152684

Cant open Windows Live Mail because calendar corrupt Error

Can't open Windows Live Mail because "calendar corrupt" Error message 0x8E5E0408

How do I fix the corrupt calendar?
Category: Computer
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

cyball83 :

Hello and Welcome to Just answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX will be assisting you today

cyball83 :

Hello sir,Which version of Windows Live mail are you using?

Customer:

how will I know that

cyball83 :

Click start >>>control panel>>>programs and features in the programs and features windows look for windows live mail

Customer:

version 14.0.8089.0726

cyball83 :

OK thank you for that information.

Before we continue.

Please bookmark/add to favourites this page, use that bookmark or favourites in case you get disconnected you can also get back to the chat using the email send by just answer to your email address regarding this question. There is view answer button in the email click on that and you can get back to this chat

Customer:

ok, added to favorites

cyball83 :

When did this problem started?

Customer:

Today after I did a system restore because of a different problem of wireless not being functioning. The system restore fixed the wireless problem but then I was not able to open Windows Live Mail

cyball83 :

OK it seems like you calendar data is corrupted.we need to remove that calender

Customer:

ok how

cyball83 :

close all windows live products, including windows live mail and msn

Customer:

ok all closed

cyball83 :

Now click start>>>type %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft in the search box then press enter

Customer:

ok what's next

cyball83 :

Can you find a folder named calendar in it

Customer:

no

cyball83 :

Are you in Microsoft folder now ?

Customer:

yes

cyball83 :

Is there a windows Live mail folder in it

Customer:

There is a "Windows Live" folder also a "Windows Live Mail" folder

cyball83 :

open Windows Live Mail folder

cyball83 :

now can you see a calender folder in it?

Customer:

ok, done, now I see a folder "Calendars"

cyball83 :

rename that folder

cyball83 :

rename it to corrupted calender or anything like that

Customer:

ok, done, renamed to "corrupted Calendars"

cyball83 :

good now close it and open the windows live mail

cyball83 :

Let me know

cyball83 :

I believe its working now.please let me know

Customer:

it opened, but immediately locked up abd then message came up saying "sorry, something unexpected happened - Windows Live Mail must close. Your most recent changes may not be saved." Tried it twice, same result and same message.

cyball83 :

Can i remote access to your PC and check the problem.let me know

Customer:

yes

cyball83 :

One moment Please .do not leave the PC. I will give the link to remote access your PC

cyball83 :

Please click on this link http://67.192.95.188:8040/guest.aspx?Session=6ea9ef74-c5ab-492d-b5b5-52944a2c3a27&SUPPORT=NET then you will get a disclaimer please click on i agree then you get a java application installation window in that click on Run. Then you will get another window in that click on join session. That will let me access your pc and check the problem

cyball83 :

You have selected the link now follow the instructions then click on join session then only i can access your pc

cyball83 :

If there is any difficulty conneting disable antivirus/firewal then try again

Customer:

got message "application cannot be started" Went to #3 alternative (Java) then got message "unable to launch application"

cyball83 :

disable antivirus/firewal then try again

Customer:

still, again "unable to launch the application"

cyball83 :

OK then we will cancel remote access and continue in chat

Customer:

ok cancelled

cyball83 :

first close all windows live mail and MSN

Customer:

done

cyball83 :

now click start>>>type %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft in the search box then press enter

Customer:

done

cyball83 :

Copy windows live mail folder and save it in safe location

cyball83 :

we are doing this a backup

cyball83 :

let me know the size of the windows live mail folder in microsoft folder

Customer:

799 MB, but copied file to a flash drive and it shows 140MB

cyball83 :

Are you sure you have copied the correct windows live mail folder

cyball83 :

Let me know

Customer:

I am trying to "send to" a cd, but it says destination already contains a folder Windows Live Mail with an earlier date and asks me if I want to merge. This is a new CD. How/where should I copy?

cyball83 :

create a folder named backup of windows live mail in the desktop then just copy the windows live mail folder to it

cyball83 :

Did you do it?

Customer:

i think so

cyball83 :

ok now open the windows live mail folder in Microsoft folder and delete both calender folders

Customer:

windows live mail folder is no longer in the microsoft folder

cyball83 :

i believe you cut instead of copying it. copy the windows live mail folder in the back-up folder to the microsoft ( copy not cut)

Customer:

ok, done

cyball83 :

check whether you have the windows live mail in back-up folder

Customer:

yes

cyball83 :

OK now delete the calender and corrupted calendar folder in windows live mail in Microsoft folder

Customer:

done

cyball83 :

now uninstall windows live mail

cyball83 :

do you want the steps to do that

Customer:

yes

cyball83 :

click start>>>control panel>>>programs and features in the programs and features window right click on windows live mail and click on uninstall

Customer:

A box opened up that says "select the programs you want to uninstall" but there are no boxes to check and continue is not lit up.

cyball83 :

Are you in programs and features window now

Customer:

yes

cyball83 :

can you see list of programs that are installed in your pc

Customer:

yes

cyball83 :

in that you can find windows live mail ?

Customer:

no, only "windows live essentials"

cyball83 :

OK remove that

Customer:

That's what I tried to remove before. I selected, chose uninstall, and then a new window opens that says "select the programs you want to uninstall" but there are no boxes to check and continue is not lit up.

cyball83 :

what all programs are listed in it ?

Customer:

There are no programs listed in it

cyball83 :

OK then close it then click on this link to download new windows live mail DANGEROUS URL REMOVED??WLI=1&WLXID=17258551-2bcd-40a1-a40e-da106fdf5689&RID=0013f003809&TID=1314809830504&lid= download and save it then install it

Customer:

I clicked on link but it doesn't do anything. Please give me a new link to click on

Customer:

I found a windows live mail download on the internet

cyball83 :

please click on this link http://explore.live.com/windows-live-mail then click on download then the download will start automatically.download and save it

Customer:

ok, done. Shall I now install the Windows Live Essentials that this installer covers

cyball83 :

yes please

Customer:

It is now installing Windows Live Essentials - 12% complete at 2:25

cyball83 :

ok

Customer:

90% complete at 2:29

cyball83 :

ok

Customer:

Message: "Couldn't install programs. It looks like another program is preventing the installer from working" Error: 0x80070643.

cyball83 :

please click on this link http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9666880 download and run it.then try again

Customer:

Microsoft fixit won't open "system cannot open the device or file specified"

cyball83 :

close all the windows except this chat then try to install windows live mail

Customer:

retrying install of windows live essentials. 41% at 2:48

cyball83 :

ok

Customer:

Same Message as before: "Couldn't install programs. It looks like another program is preventing the installer from working" Error: 0x80070643.

cyball83 :

OK restart the pc and come back to the chat using the bookmark or email from justanswer

Customer:

ok I'm back up

cyball83 :

now open the windows live mail not the open your tried to install

cyball83 :

the one that showed the problem

Customer:

nothing happens when I click to open

cyball83 :

you mean the old one which was installed?

Customer:

yes the old one which was installed

cyball83 :

please restart again then disable the antivirus/firewall then i will give you the link for remote access again

cyball83 :

i will be back in 5 min

Customer:

ok I'm back up. I tried the windows live mail, got the message "windows live mail could not be started. It may not be installed correctly." Firewall is off

cyball83 :

Please click on this link http://67.192.95.188:8040/guest.aspx?Session=fa78beaa-f231-4216-b7b0-b5e9788c9896&SUPPORT=NET then you will get a disclaimer please click on i agree then you get a java application installation window in that click on Run. Then you will get another window in that click on join session. That will let me access your pc and check the problem

Customer:

Same as before! got message "application cannot be started" Went to #3 alternative (Java) then got message "unable to launch application

cyball83 :

ok then try to install the downloaded windows live mail

Customer:

43 % complete at 3:20

Customer:

cyball83 :

it seems like the old version is corrupted.Then you need to install other email client like Mozilla thunderbird and configure the email service in it

Customer:

I have mozilla firefox on this computer. What should I do next to get back Windows Live Mail?

cyball83 :

windows live mail is corrupted to fix that is not that easy.but you can install Mozilla thunderbird which is like windows live mail

Customer:

ok what do I do

cyball83 :

which was the email service configured in windows live mail just let me know the part after @ in your email addres

Customer:

I had several email services: sbcglobal.net and msn.com and LPL.com

cyball83 :

when you installed windows live mail did you configure all these accounts ?

Customer:

yes

cyball83 :

please click on this link http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/ download and install it

cyball83 :

then configure your email accounts in it

Customer:

I get a message that says "cannot create temp folder archive"

Customer:

nevermind, ran as administrator and it is now installing

cyball83 :

ok

Customer:

I have configured several email accounts

cyball83 :

is it working

Customer:

Yes, but I will need some time to configure to my preferences.

cyball83 :

OK does it send and receive emails now

Customer:

yes

Customer:

How can I transfer in my contacts?

cyball83 :

that is little difficult as long as the windows live mail is not working but let me check it one moment please

cyball83 :

please open the back-up folder in desktop

Customer:

ok done

cyball83 :

now in windows live folder can you find a contacts folder

Customer:

no

cyball83 :

click start>>>type %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft in the search box then press enter

Customer:

ok there is a folder called Windows Live Contacts. How do I send it to Mozilla?

cyball83 :

what is the size of that folder

Customer:

102 mb

cyball83 :

open one of the folder in it and see if there is any file in it

Customer:

no ... all empty

cyball83 :

there is a problem it wont transfer the files in this way.it can only transfer while the windows live mail was active sorry about that

Customer:

ok, guess I will have to reload all my contacts. What's next with us

cyball83 :

other than contacts is everything OK with email

Customer:

appears to be

cyball83 :

Everything seems to be working fine so please don’t forget to click ACCEPT button in this chat page & leave a POSITIVE Feedback and some Bonus will be well appreciated. That’s the only way i get paid for the services that I have provided to you

John, Computer Specialist
Experience: MCP, RHCE