Jason
Jason, Computer Expert
Experience: 
Over 10 years of professional experience.

i recently purchased a verizon mifi 14510L and have the Laptop

i recently purchased a verizon mifi 14510L and have the Laptop L505D-S5965. The laptop will connect to Qwest wireless but not to the mifi. The unit recognizes the signal but will only give me Limited Connectivity and also says Limited Access. I have worked relentlessly w/Verizon but to no avail....please help! what can I do to make this work...Verizon tech support says it must be my laptop but it connects and allows me to surf thru Qwest.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

Computer Extraordinaire :

Greetings,

Welcome to Just Answer.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be the expert working with you today to help resolve your problem.

Please, let me know when you are ready to begin.

Customer:

READY JASON

Computer Extraordinaire :

Hello

Customer:

hi

Computer Extraordinaire :

Are you trying to connect the computer that you are using now to speak with me on to the Mifi?

Customer:

no this is my laptop which currently has qwest modem...

Computer Extraordinaire :

ok

Customer:

sorry got that wrong...this is my desktop

Computer Extraordinaire :

So, you are trying to connect a different computer to the mifi.

Customer:

yes the toshiba i mentioned above

Computer Extraordinaire :

Does the other problem computer indicate that it is connected to the Mifi?

Customer:

yes, it does show connected but w/limited access/connectivity...says the mifi has no ip address

Computer Extraordinaire :

Ok

Computer Extraordinaire :

Have you already activated the mifi through Verizon?

Customer:

yes, this is the 2nd unit...returned the first one due to same problem and verizon assumed it was defective

Computer Extraordinaire :

ok

Computer Extraordinaire :

The mifi is a horrid device in my opinion. I own one, but it is never used.

Computer Extraordinaire :

Did they offer a different type of device?

Computer Extraordinaire :

I would suggest the UML290 in your case.

Customer:

they are now telling me to take it to a store and see if it works on their laptop and surfs...if it does they are saying it is my laptop which i do not believe

Computer Extraordinaire :

I do not believe that either.

Computer Extraordinaire :

At the store, demand that they replace it with a UML290 or something of the like.

Customer:

whats the difference and can i still hook up 5 devices

Computer Extraordinaire :

Oh...

Computer Extraordinaire :

The UML290 is for a single computer.

Computer Extraordinaire :

The difference is that the UML290 will work.

Customer:

that is why i choose this unit because I can connect my desktop, ereader and laptop all at the same time

Computer Extraordinaire :

Ok, understood.

Computer Extraordinaire :

I personally, would never use the Mifi because I have had nothing but problems with it when it does work.

Customer:

so is that ur answer? return it basically?

Computer Extraordinaire :

I wish there was more that I could do, but I am limited by the 'value' of that item.

Customer:

the first unit worked for about 2 days then nothing...this new one has not worked at all!

Computer Extraordinaire :

See what I am talking about?

Computer Extraordinaire :

Do you live in the city or further out?

Customer:

n the city (ABQ, NM) this is a store close enough....I just wanted to get rid of Qwest because I have rebooted my moden 12x since 7.29.11 I HATE THEM!

Computer Extraordinaire :

I am sorry to hear about your plight.

Computer Extraordinaire :

If you wish to continue using the Mifi, you will Definitely need to purchase an additional antenna, which will plug into the Mifi.

Computer Extraordinaire :

For me, adding the antenna did help a great deal.

Customer:

where does it pulg in at...I just opened a little hole to the left of the power jack...it there where and what other purpose does it serve

Computer Extraordinaire :

That is the location where you can plug in an external antenna.

Customer:

and where would I purchase and can u send me 2 a pic on the web and what might the ball park cost be

Computer Extraordinaire :

sure thing

Computer Extraordinaire :

One moment, please while I locate that for you.

Customer:

thanks

Computer Extraordinaire :

Please, look at the mifi once more.

Customer:

k

Computer Extraordinaire :

What is the brand name?

Computer Extraordinaire :

oh..

Computer Extraordinaire :

I meant to say 'model' name

Customer:

just says verizon 4glte

Computer Extraordinaire :

mifi 14510L you said....

Computer Extraordinaire :

but that does not sound right

Customer:

novatel?

Computer Extraordinaire :

It will be 1450l or something like that

Customer:

yes 1451L NVTL short 4 novatel i guess

Computer Extraordinaire :

thank you

Computer Extraordinaire :

No

Computer Extraordinaire :

That is not right.

Computer Extraordinaire :

It says 1451L on the device?

Customer:

thats what the receipt says as well

Computer Extraordinaire :

What does it say on the device, please?

Computer Extraordinaire :

You may have to take the battery out and look at the label behind the battery.

Computer Extraordinaire :

Is it the 4510L ?

Computer Extraordinaire :

That is what I was assuming it was.

Customer:

yes, says verizon 4g lte Mifi on the outside...inside it says Novatel Wireless 4510L

Computer Extraordinaire :

Thank you

Computer Extraordinaire :

You can find antennas for this device at the following link: http://3gstore.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&keyword=4510L&inc_subcat=0&search_in_description=0&sorter=price

Computer Extraordinaire :

You may click the Accept button on the bottom right of your screen & click Ok now and leave any feedback for me that you feel is appropriate.

Thank you,
- Jason

If you ever want to work with me as your expert in the future, please bookmark the following website. You can ask any future questions directly to me and I will be the expert assigned to your case: http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-theextraordinaire/

Computer Extraordinaire :

Thank you again for your time.

Computer Extraordinaire :

Please, do not forget to click the Accept button on the bottom right of the page and the resulting "Ok" button. That is the only way this site gives us experts credit for helping.

Once you click the Accept button and the resulting Ok button, your deposit that you have already been charged, will be released. I only I get credit from the website or get paid for my time if you click the Accept button and then click Ok.

Customer:

thanks for all your help Jason...its going back and staying back.....

Computer Extraordinaire :

:)

Computer Extraordinaire :

That is the best choice.

Computer Extraordinaire :

That is what I decided to do with mine after messing with it for far too long.

Computer Extraordinaire :

I didn't return it, I just trashed it though.

Jason, Computer Expert
Experience: